• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

what a load of rubbish if this guy and his kid choose to watch the game sitting down and even choose not to sing there was 1000s of others that stood and sung for him

I play in goal and I watch every goal keeper at every game and let's face it cech is the best in the world so I would of told my kid to watch him too as he still be watching the game as sufc would of been attacking, am just lucky I now have a ex southend keeper as my coach

Was the worst atmosphere I have ever experienced at a game, and it should have been the best atmosphere. Not talking about the whole ground, cos I could hear every other part of the ground very clearly as it was so quiet where I sat, it was just the majority of Block T in the West Stand that was dead. no nothing.

I know everyone supports their team their own way, but I really was shocked at how quiet it was!!

Last edited:
what a load of rubbish if this guy and his kid choose to watch the game sitting down and even choose not to sing there was 1000s of others that stood and sung for him

I play in goal and I watch every goal keeper at every game and let's face it cech is the best in the world so I would of told my kid to watch him too as he still be watching the game as sufc would of been attacking, am just lucky I now have a ex southend keeper as my coach

Going by how you play you must be being trained by Carl Emberson or Mark Prudhoe.

And back to the first poster in this thread I believe that the person who sits in that seat is ORM.

From 91/92 season till about 3 years ago, never missed a home game, firstly in the North Bank and then the South Upper. went to a hell of a lot of away games, including Fiorentina in the Anglo Italian Cup. Had a season ticket for 4 years in the South Upper but work commitments and kids put paid to most of that. So I got a ticket where I could for last night.

Yes, I like to jump up and down, chant etc etc it's part of the buzz, the passion, the getting behind the team you love. You support the way you do, as do the others in your area. If everyone were like you though, how would the players feel, never hearing the fans?

I took my son, aged 6, to Stamford Bridge, people stood up in front of him most of the match....so he either stood on his seat or (lucky he was end of row) jumped off his seat and ran up to the back..he loved it, the atmposphere, the chanting, the jumping up and down!!

I wasn't saying your son should sit in the family stand, just pointing out there is a family stand for younger supporters!

Took a while out to reply, no point in keyboard battles and all that. You missed my point, you obviously don't sit in row M normally, doubt you'll be there for Yeovil or ever again.Wondered where you normally get your fix in the ground? Hopefully you can relate why I made the comments to my son about Cech, we spend hours studying keepers at all levels, watching the warm-ups and so on, he picks stuff up, but the Federici kicks need some work for a 9 years old. But just trying to progress him with his favourite sport as he really wants to push on.

Clearly we have different ideas on parenting and how to support the club.Standing on seats is very dangerous to me ! I did sing alot last night, but not standing up or waving my arms, some times my lips hardly moved ! Some times I don't, certainly did'nt on Boxing Day. We sit where we do to get a good view and will do so whilst we can afford it, we seem accepted in row M for the last 4 years, but then again it is a clean living row, hardly anyones been for a drink, just there to support the team, sometimes very quietly. I'm not sure you realised it, but you kept banging into my son, obstructing his view, I'm not sure if you'd been drinking or over excited, maybe I should have said something early on, maybe you did'nt realise you were doing it or looking for a row, disappointing if you were. I let it go, Roots Hall is like a second home, big games do throw up people you're not familiar with ( what about the bloke behind us shouting 'rent boy' when either of the Coles got the ball ?).

Looks like your son might go withyouto games alot, ask yourself how you would have reacted ?

Anyway, only you know if you'd been drinking, wanted a row or whatever. I'm not defending row M because there's nothing to defend, and it's not a row who slag off the team either.

Suggestion: Maybe Prodigal and DWB should ask to appear on a certain part of Harry Hill's TV Burp prog.

Imagine the stage set, a couple of rows of blue bucket seats, son of Prodigal wearing his goalie gloves writing down tips and drawing sketches of Mildy diving all over the place (not Cech as he couldn't see him), Prodigal singing 'Sea Sea Sea Siders' quietly to himself, a row of cardboard cut outs in the rest of row T, and DWB jumping up and down WBS 'boing boing' style in front. Harry shouts 'fight', Prodigal nuts DWB and then sits calmly back down to his Seasiders chant, correcting son of Prodigal on the spelling of our goalies name. The scene ends with the camera focusing on DWB lying on the floor unable to get up but still doing 'boing boing' horizontally.

Gents, you are both right and clearly care about your Club. Shake hands, say 'Up the Blues' and move on (to different parts of the stadium.

UTB:)

Took a while out to reply, no point in keyboard battles and all that. You missed my point, you obviously don't sit in row M normally, doubt you'll be there for Yeovil or ever again.Wondered where you normally get your fix in the ground? Hopefully you can relate why I made the comments to my son about Cech, we spend hours studying keepers at all levels, watching the warm-ups and so on, he picks stuff up, but the Federici kicks need some work for a 9 years old. But just trying to progress him with his favourite sport as he really wants to push on.

Clearly we have different ideas on parenting and how to support the club.Standing on seats is very dangerous to me ! I did sing alot last night, but not standing up or waving my arms, some times my lips hardly moved ! Some times I don't, certainly did'nt on Boxing Day. We sit where we do to get a good view and will do so whilst we can afford it, we seem accepted in row M for the last 4 years, but then again it is a clean living row, hardly anyones been for a drink, just there to support the team, sometimes very quietly. I'm not sure you realised it, but you kept banging into my son, obstructing his view, I'm not sure if you'd been drinking or over excited, maybe I should have said something early on, maybe you did'nt realise you were doing it or looking for a row, disappointing if you were. I let it go, Roots Hall is like a second home, big games do throw up people you're not familiar with ( what about the bloke behind us shouting 'rent boy' when either of the Coles got the ball ?).
Looks like your son might go withyouto games alot, ask yourself how you would have reacted ?

Anyway, only you know if you'd been drinking, wanted a row or whatever. I'm not defending row M because there's nothing to defend, and it's not a row who slag off the team either.

I think you need to re-read both my posts. I already apologized if I blocked your sons view Used to sit in the south upper, now work and my children restrict when I go, but managed to get a ticket for last night as I had been to a few games this season, mailnly in the south upper, but also in the family stand with my boy. I hadn't been drinking, I don't drink and drive, I am just very passionate about Southend United, and anything else I believe in.

No, I wasn't looking for a row, not the violent type!

Yes, I was put into totally the wrong section,(I shall learn from that if I sit in the West stand again) I am used to people jumping up and down constantly, ever since 90/91 in the North Bank, where if you hadn't been crushed in a surge, The Blues hadn't played well!!

Your son is 9, wants to be a good goalkeeper...cut him a bit of slack. If he is there to support Southend United, let him. There's no point watching what Cech is doing whilst Chelsea are attacking (although a goalkeepers awareness must be there at all times), half the enjoyment is watching your own players defending and seeing how they cope with world class players.
There's plenty of time during the week and weekends for coaching!

If the whole stadium were as quiet as where I sat last night,the players wouldn't even know anyone was there. The Blue Voice is there for a reason, to make noise, to be exhuberent, to let the players know they are being supported.

There is a limit to banter, yes the guy behind banging on about rent boy was a total moron, and I am hoping you are not branding me with the same brush!!

In a nutshell, I have never been anywhere like last night, didn't know it existed, but if it's your way of supporting The Blues, then so be it!

Suggestion: Maybe Prodigal and DWB should ask to appear on a certain part of Harry Hill's TV Burp prog.

Imagine the stage set, a couple of rows of blue bucket seats, son of Prodigal wearing his goalie gloves writing down tips and drawing sketches of Mildy diving all over the place (not Cech as he couldn't see him), Prodigal singing 'Sea Sea Sea Siders' quietly to himself, a row of cardboard cut outs in the rest of row T, and DWB jumping up and down WBS 'boing boing' style in front. Harry shouts 'fight', Prodigal nuts DWB and then sits calmly back down to his Seasiders chant, correcting son of Prodigal on the spelling of our goalies name. The scene ends with the camera focusing on DWB lying on the floor unable to get up but still doing 'boing boing' horizontally.

Gents, you are both right and clearly care about your Club. Shake hands, say 'Up the Blues' and move on (to different parts of the stadium.

UTB:)

Quality...definite green on it's way!!

There was a bloke behind me in the Family Stand who spent most of the night criticising, sadly his kids were following suit.

I recall when I were a lad there was this fella with an old style old man quiff, I'd say he was about 50 which means he'd be 80ish now. He went with a younger man, who I'd guess was his son. He'd be right on the half way line of the West Stand. Every game, without fail. He'd almost be clinging onto the wall. And he'd spend the full 90 minutes berating everything and everyone. He'd always have half a roll up hanging out his mouth as well. I've not seen him since the stadium went all seater, but do others remember him.

I remember a guy in the WS, who used to bark out a lot of negative verbals in a rough/tough foghorn kind of way circa 1980 until the advent of the seats. He used to stand in the middle about 10 rows up, but I thought he was bald. His 'son,' if they were related, was a guy I remember from Earls Hall in the early '70s- Terry Goodburn, I think his name was- who was as contrite as could be, by way of bizarre contrast...

I can still clap despite sitting down, just like I sang all night without standing..

I'm in block S and sit with a group of OAPs who can't jump up and down anymore. We still cheer, clap and sing. They are not grumpy old men just because they can't stand up easily. It's bad enough having to dodge the posts and pillars in the West stand without having to avoid the people who can't sit down during the game.

Most of us do stand up when we score or if a substituted player deserves it; we don't feel the need to stand up just to prove we love Southend. 30 years+ of support proves that.

My mum and dad (both in their 70s) were up and down like yo-yos throughout the game. Dad's always been an advocate of sitting down unless we score but I guess the enthusiasm and impetus of those around you carries you along. For me, I think it partly depends on where you're sitting and if you can see the whole pitch. If you're immediately behind the goal in the South Upper, for instance, maybe not so necessary as you probably can see every part of the pitch.

Back in the days, it always used to be the Easts where you sat throughout the game, West was always a terraced stand, so I kind of expect the same kind of behaviour to have carried on. Probably completely illogical bearing in mind how long we've had the seats now but that's female logic for you!

all I heard you talk about was how Cech was the best keeper in the world and how your son should watch what he does. Your son should be enjoying watching The Blues play, not observe the opposing keeper.

Shrimperzone's very own parenting guru and junior football coach speaks.

We're veering a bit :offtopic: here.

Please discuss the crowd, singing and noise here. If you've got a beef about someone or their parenting skills, this thread isn't the place.

I was in row M in block T as well. Blimey. My uncle who has bad joints has to tell people to sit down because he can't stand up that quickly.

Me, I'll sing when I want. Not when I'm told to and certainly not by people who think that singing or standing somehow makes them better fans.

My mum and dad (both in their 70s) were up and down like yo-yos throughout the game

Thats what happens when you take old folk out anywhere , they can't hold their bladders for toffee , thats why i just put mine in a home , easier that way then they wouldn't of been annoying people by keep going to the loo every 2 minutes .

Forget the argument on how to parent , its what you should do with your parents, that should be the question and like i said just put them in a home , its a god send .

Going by how you play you must be being trained by Carl Emberson or Mark Prudhoe.

And back to the first poster in this thread I believe that the person who sits in that seat is ORM.

ORM sits next to Me & Leeboy in Block V.
At least Barrett got a bit of peace without him there :whistling:

ORM sits next to Me & Leeboy in Block V.
At least Barrett got a bit of peace without him there :whistling:

Cheeky fecker Statski :p

Though I was in the south lower for this game I still managed to text my disappointment on Barrett's performance to Leeboy, which is about the only point that the subject referred to in the first post got right. :D

Though I post rarely on the board thesedays (no ulterior motives here) I feel my experience in the South Lower is worth a mention. Last time I was in this stand was in the snow vs Shrewsbury, memorable enough in itself.

The view wasn't the best in the world but I thought the atmosphere was cracking which almost surprised me as I can never hear them from the West V until I realised that I could barely hear the West unless they were all singing as one. East blacks and South seemed to feed off each other, not sure if that happens every game but certainly made for a memorable night.

Honourable mention to the five kids around me who kicked off a lot of the chants and sang their hearts out the whole night. I'm guessing at 13-14 year olds, one on crutches after breaking bones in his foot playing footie so if you post on here top marks to all of you.

Wouldn't go back by choice purely because of the view.

Back