• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kris

Available in weeks, not months
Massively disappointing today. I'm very much against making sensationalist, doom-and-gloom posts after one defeat - after all, we're still in a very very healthy position at the top of the table - but the performance was worryingly similar to that against Oxford nearly a year ago when we froze on the day and allowed a very poor team to turn us over.

All the signs looked good early on as we grabbed the initiative, Freddy firing narrowly wide with the outside of his right boot. Then Bradbury robbed an MK Dons defender on the byline and delivered a low cross which Goater converted, albeit with a somewhat scuffed shot. 1-0.

We nearly doubled the lead straight away when we cut through the Dons rearguard but an MK Dons defender made a last-gasp intervention just as Bentley was about to pounce from little more than 10 yards out.

Then everything changed. Dons' Gary Smith, who I was very impressed with throughout, cut inside from a left-wing position and unleashed a wonderful dipping, swerving drive from around 30 yards out which left Darryl motionless as it flew into the roof of the net. 1-1.

Our play dipped after that and never recovered as the Dons started to out-muscle us all over the park. We created one or two half-chances, most notably when Gower beat the offside trap down the right, only to dither when he should have hit an early shot, and the Dons' reserve keeper was never really tested. Half-time 1-1.

Things deteriorated further in the second half. We simply lacked any cohesion in possession and we kept trying to play the killer pass into the channels too early - when with some more patience, we could have regained the initiative and worked the opposition harder. The fact that Wilson and Jupp were rarely given time to break forward and overlap is indicative of our wastefulness in possession. And here is where we missed our captain.

That said, Dons were hardly threatening us either as strong winds meant that overhit passes became the norm and I thought we could at least hold out for a point. Then disaster. Wilson allowed substitute Wade Small to cut inside him around halfway and he broke clear of our midfield before playing a clever reverse pass to a team-mate, who had escaped the attentions of Bentley, and his pin-point low cross was easily converted at the far post by Scott Taylor. 2-1.

15 minutes left and on came Wayne Gray for Goater but it was too late. We barely looked like getting the equaliser and the Dons held on comfortably, leaving their fans delirious at the final whistle and audibly wondering how on earth their opponents were top of the league. Harsh but fair on this performance.

Let's just hope this was a one-off and we don't suffer a repeat of last year's jitters - I couldn't take that again. Three points next week is now imperative to maintain the gap at the top of the table and restore confidence. Come on the Blues!

Ratings:

Flahavan 6 - couldn't be blamed for either goal and had little else to do
Jupp 6 - sound game defensively, little joy on the overlap but not really his fault
Wilson 6.5 - generally solid but loses half a mark for the goal, though not helped by his teammates
Barrett 5 - looked uncomfortable today, particularly in the air as the wind made life difficult
Sodje 7 - probably the only player to come out with any real credit, defended like his life depended on it
Bradbury 6 - decent first half and did excellently for the goal but was pretty anonymous after the break
Bentley 5 - first game back and it showed, looked off the pace sadly
Guttridge 5 - industrious first half but faded badly and his passing after the break was well below his usually standards
Gower 5 - not much came off for him and he wasted a couple of very good situations with indecision at the crucial point
Goater 6 - fine first half performance with another goal and some excellent link-up play but was barely in the game after the break. replaced by Gray (75) who barely had a kick.
Eastwood 5 - a couple of trademark runs but overall a very disappointing performance by his high standards and was muscled off the ball too easily on occasions

It was very poor weather today. This is a minor blip. We are still going up!

absolutely freezing at the back row, and that little corridor thing didnt keep the cold out either

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Mar. 18 2006,19:39)]the performance was worryingly similar to that against Oxford nearly a year ago when we froze on the day and allowed a very poor team to turn us over.
Agree, I thought exactly the same as I left the ground. I think we thought we just had to turn up, especially once we went one nil up. Gower should have scored in the first half, then the game might have been different.

At least there were no fights between our fans today though
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]At least there were no fights between our fans today though

There almost was when the w%&ker behind us (middle of the goal, near the back) started shouting racist chants at the opposition goalkeeper and a couple of guys made it clear that it wouldn't be accepted - good on them.

Said w%&ker changed his tune when Shaun scored our goal.

mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ Mar. 18 2006,20:30)]
[b said:

There almost was when the w%&ker behind us (middle of the goal, near the back) started shouting racist chants at the opposition goalkeeper and a couple of guys made it clear that it wouldn't be accepted - good on them.

mad.gif
Thanks Hank
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bertiebigbanana @ Mar. 18 2006,20:34)]
[b said:
[b said:

mad.gif
Thanks Hank
wink.gif
Were you "said couple of guys"?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ Mar. 18 2006,20:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (bertiebigbanana @ Mar. 18 2006,20:34)]
[b said:
[b said:

mad.gif
Thanks Hank
wink.gif
Were you "said couple of guys"?
Can only lay claim to being one of them

I agree that this was a blip although MK looked better than Rotherham and Walsall IMO
There seemed to be no love lost Between Sodje and McCloud when he came on. Is there a bit of history between those 2 ?

Very disappointing performance, but not going to get upset about it. It's put a little pressure back on but there will be plenty more little twists before the season is out.

Perhaps this was just the kick up the backside some of the players needed. As Tilly has said, just turning up isn't enough although I thought we definately missed Meyer/Mayer (you know who) yesterday. We really needed his captains influence in the middle of the park and his ability (sometimes) to keep the ball on the ground and play it out wide.

I had forgotten about that Gower chance. Why did he try to run the ball further instead of hitting it. That should of been a goal.

What a load of crap!!

Guttridge had his worst game for us, including Northampton away in the playoffs last year!!

No central midfield, dont blame Freddy, we are not a one man team

I am not saying panic stations, but it was a discrace

I wouldn't say it was a disgrace, it's not the worst I've seen us play this season, but it was poor. Credit to MK Dons though, they seem to know how to play against us. I thought the 1st half was close and if only Gower had scored rather than faffing around with the ball then it could've been a different story. 2nd half we just didn't get the ball down and pass and therefore didn't create any decent chances. MK Dons probably just deserved their win.

We missed Maher's organisation and passing but Guttridge didn't exactly make up for his absence. That was probably the worst game I've seen from Luke, his passing was all over the place. Gower was poor with his passing aswell but the conditions didn't help. Bentley was poor too, was it really the best decision playing him after just one reserve game since coming back from injury, when we had Smith and Petts on the bench? Efe was my MoTM, 100% committed and defended well. Did well to keep his cool at the end too, if I was him I would've smacked that muppet McLeod. He was only on for 20 minutes but he lucky to stay on the pitch.
mad.gif

Pretty rubbish day overall, made worse by the fact our coach tyre burst and we had to stay in Milton Keynes for an extra hour.

Oh well, we can't win them all. Let's just make sure we get back on track against Hartlepool next week.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ Mar. 19 2006,17:07)]Pretty rubbish day overall, made worse by the fact our coach tyre burst and we had to stay in Milton Keynes for an extra hour.
Lucky for you it happened in the car-park. Does anyone else remember the tyre burst on the M3 coming back from Bournemouth back in 91? Now THAT was scary ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Mar. 19 2006,16:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ Mar. 19 2006,17:07)]Pretty rubbish day overall, made worse by the fact our coach tyre burst and we had to stay in Milton Keynes for an extra hour.
Lucky for you it happened in the car-park. Does anyone else remember the tyre burst on the M3 coming back from Bournemouth back in 91? Now THAT was scary ...
I was on that coach.

I remember the coach was in the outside lane overtaking when "BANG" goes the tyre and the driver, who IIRC was a bit of a Paul Clark lookee-likkee, performed miracles to stop the coach from swerving all over the road, and got us into the hard shoulder and safety. I think this all happened close to Fleet services.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ Mar. 19 2006,15:01)]What a load of crap!!

Guttridge had his worst game for us, including Northampton away in the playoffs last year!!

No central midfield, dont blame Freddy, we are not a one man team

What a disgrace that we are top of the league.

Tilson out.
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Mar. 20 2006,13:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ Mar. 19 2006,15:01)]What a load of crap!!

Tilson out.
mad.gif
Yeah! I much preferred it when I could wander up to the ground on matchday and sit anywhere in an empty soulless stand to sit with 2,800 REAL fans and watch us lose 2-0 to Boston.

mad.gif

Martin should never have got rid of Wignall... now that was a disgrace!

glare.gif

Back