• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Working nights about 20 years ago and regularly going to evening games and going to work at half time......although one night, i got settled in to the game 10 minutes gone and all of a sudden the tanoy announcer read my car registration out saying it was blocking 3 cars in and that i had to move it straight away

What a dilemma....by the time i would have got back in to the ground i would have missed most of the first half.

Theres only one Bretty Angell...Great game that, nowhere near my worst moment.

Getting sprayed in the face with CS gas by some large ****ty Derby fan after all steaming onto the pitch, and then seeing it on Crimewatch the next Monday, wasn't my finest hour!

Ow yeah.........that reminds me of trying to climb over the fence in the North bank after the club had decided to start greasing the fence....i fell flat on my ar*se 3 times in a row to the amusement of the North Bank

Mine wasn't embarrasing at the time, but was later. It was Southend vs. Cambridge at home, under Murphy, live on Anglia TV on a Sunday afternoon. During the game I stood up in the West Stand, after Cambridge had gone 1-0 up, and shouted "F*** off Murphy, you useless ****". At the time I thought nothing of this. However, when I got home I was informed by my future wife that I had done this at the precise moment the TV cameras decided to pan onto the Southend fans. I was there in full shot, on a Sunday afternoon slot, previously filled by Jess Yates on Stars on Sunday, mouthing obscenities which had been witnesssed by my future wifes parents. Oh how proud they must have been of me.

League 1 Title winning season, last game of the season, Bristol City at home... Very, very drunk.

I'd been to Swansea, I'd witnessed the glory and tasted the success and was fully confident we could secure the title away from Colchester. We'd made a day of it, fully enjoying ourselves and the success.

I don't remember much of the game at all. Only hearing that Colchester had taken the lead and that we had to score... Although it wasn't true, it scared the sh*t out of me. When Wayne Gray came on and slotted home, I went bananas.

Cue wild celebrations, yes... you heard me correctly, Wild Celebrations in the East Stand. I was on my seat cheering... then it gave way. I felt myself fall, Tipsy from the alcohol and the loss of all stability, I'd fallen ar*e over tit straight over my seat in front of a sell-out East Stand.

Ow yeah.........that reminds me of trying to climb over the fence in the North bank after the club had decided to start greasing the fence....i fell flat on my ar*se 3 times in a row to the amusement of the North Bank

If I remember it was black tarry looking grease that once on your clothes, NEVER came off... I just waited for people to start climbing over, then the stewards opened the gates anyway.... it was better before the fence went up, it was just over that tiny wall and you were on the pitch.

Oh for the old North Bank days...smashing the flourescent tubes with the ball that Sammy had thrown to us, the mass surge when we scored.

Football is so staid and boring now we have to sit down:(

If I remember it was black tarry looking grease that once on your clothes, NEVER came off... I just waited for people to start climbing over, then the stewards opened the gates anyway.... it was better before the fence went up, it was just over that tiny wall and you were on the pitch.

Oh for the old North Bank days...smashing the flourescent tubes with the ball that Sammy had thrown to us, the mass surge when we scored.

Football is so staid and boring now we have to sit down:(

Mate....that is when it was at its height....maybe not the results but the hard core that stood in the centre of the North Bank...i started of so many surges, dangerous thinking about it now, but when you were a youngster, really good fun. "Sammy give us the ball Sammy Sammy give us the ball"....quality

The grease was indeed black tarry stuff that indeed ruined some of my tops.....still have marks off it on one of my old SUFC tops.

Do you remember sitting down one night in the North Bank and refusing to applaud at anything.....some sort of demonstration against Knobson if i remember rightly. I was Photographed and in the Echo next to a huge "Jobson out" banner in the car park after that game....or maybe another game, there were so many games that we held protest at about Jobson

there were so many games that we held protest at about Jobson

The one that stands out for me was the 20 minutes "Sit Down to Stand Up For Southend" protest held after the Sunderland game February 1992.

An amazing show of support by the faithful, shame Jobbo didn't give a flying f**k as neither did his knob-jockey partner in crime!

The one that stands out for me was the 20 minutes "Sit Down to Stand Up For Southend" protest held after the Sunderland game February 1992.

An amazing show of support by the faithful, shame Jobbo didn't give a flying f**k as neither did his knob-jockey partner in crime!

That was the protest that i was refering to in my post you quoted mate

It might be easier if I listed the times I haven't embarassed myself at a match :)

Ones that spring to mind though include:
- being the only Shrimper on the away terrace at Donnie in the late 70s/early 80s for a midweek re-arranged fixture; doing a One-man Knees-Up up and down the terrace until being invited to join the Donnie in their end.

- taking my wife to her first away match; entering the ground wearing my bright-blue Hawaiin shirt to be greeted with "Where did you get that shirt?" from the Barnet fans; only for the Southend fans to join in.

- celebrating after Gower's late, late goal against Brizzle this season; deciding to multi-task and use my testicles to "catch" the ball that the goalie sliced into the away fans.

You said "one night", it was actually a Sat evening! :p

Mate....it was in Feb, so all i can remember is it being dark and cold so with my Poor soon to be 40 year old mind.....I thought it was a week night.

I stand corrected

:p

Leyton Orient away, in the old standing end behind the goal !! It was an evening game, some time in the last 3/4 years.

I was standing there minding my own business, when the players were warming up and one of the shots , went over the bar (shock !!) and bounced just in front of me - there it was bouncing, I was just about to go over and throw it back when a 'large' man decided he would try and volley it back, the ball dropped, the 'large' man swung his left peg , ball and foot made contact ....... ball spun off the side of the 'large' mans foot - who at the time of contact also shouted "a've it !!!" , the ball, from no more than two yards smacked me bang in the face/glasses and knocked me down. Cue laughter from my Dad and those around me - including the ambulence lady that assisted !!

The next day, my wife who then worked at a big insurance company in London was standing at the drinks machine at lunch time, only too hear and see two of her colleagues in rounds of hysteria - laughing at the bloke that got the ball smack in his face at Orient vs Southend !! She told them it was me . Nice !!!!!!!

Could we please hear from the chap who managed to fall over and roll through some dog dirt on his way to the Sheffiled Wednesday - SUFC 5th round FA cup game.

Ahh that was my mate Grant. Heard that story a few times. Missed a lot of the first half apparantly coz he was in the bogs wiping himself down!

For me it has to be Wycombe away the year we went up from League 2. My housemate at uni was a wycombe fan so we met up and he introduced me to his mate. We were all gonna sit in the Wycombe end much to my annoyance. As you might remember it was very frosty that day and the game was even in doubt over whether it would go ahead. As we're walking down to the ground my housemate's friend thinks it would be funny to push his mate over so as I am between them both he pushes me. Unfortunately my house mate moves out the way and I feel a*se over tit on the floor. To make matters worse the Southend supporters coach is driving past at the very second and coz I'm with 2 wycombe fans they all think i'm a home fan. To really rub it in the coach driver slowed down and was asking me if I was ok when i was praying he'd just drive all those laughing faces away from me!

When we lost 4-0 at home to Watford, there were a load of them in the West Stand, and after the 4th goal, I had had enough and jumped off my seat to complain at their celebrations in a 'home only' area. When attempting to return to my seat after a few choice words, I must have forgotten the 'folding' properties of Roots Hall seating and fell on my @rse. Yes, marvellous.
Happened to me on numerous occasions over the past few seasons. :mad:

Didnt happen to me personally, but i remember on Forans home debut he was over at the West stand signing autographs when a young lad (about 13-14) shouted.

"Make him speak, i wna hear his Scottish accent."

Both parties were very embarrased when he turned round and went...

"Scottish? Scottish? Pfff." [Ran off.]

I don't actually remember my most embarrassing moment as I was only about six or seven at the time. I was mascot at an away game at Bury in about 1984 and apparently when the players first came out to warm up they gave me a ball and told me to score a goal. So I dribbled the ball to about the penalty spot and... shot wide of the empty net! :o

I got a few jeers and laughs from the home support apparently, though I genuinely don't remember the incident at all.

Most definitely slipping on the pitch against Manure and ruining my new gucci loafers.. right in front of the sky camera, yet i still managed to flip up in time for two burley security chaps to run in to each other in carry on style..

Back