• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mate....that is when it was at its height....maybe not the results but the hard core that stood in the centre of the North Bank...i started of so many surges, dangerous thinking about it now, but when you were a youngster, really good fun. "Sammy give us the ball Sammy Sammy give us the ball"....quality

The grease was indeed black tarry stuff that indeed ruined some of my tops.....still have marks off it on one of my old SUFC tops.

Do you remember sitting down one night in the North Bank and refusing to applaud at anything.....some sort of demonstration against Knobson if i remember rightly. I was Photographed and in the Echo next to a huge "Jobson out" banner in the car park after that game....or maybe another game, there were so many games that we held protest at about Jobson

Oh the memories!!!

I remember the matches where we used to smash the lights in the north bank with the balls Sammy used to throw to us!

Anyone else remember the fires that were lit in the North bank with copies of the blues news, cue songs of relight my fire from all the fans.

Sammy, Sammy give us a ball!!!!!!

Butler, Butler give us a ball!!!!!

We're the North bank, we're the North bank, we're the North bank of Roots Hall!!!

I also remember all the sit down protests we had "sit down if you love Southend", "We'll never move to Basildon".

I'd easily go back to those days. The atmosphere was brilliant!

Remember the Blues News fires really well and the Sammy Sammy give us a ball like it was yesterday. The North Bank's passion in the pre Taylor report days was unreal.

I remember standing on the North West Terrace in probably either the late 80's or the early 90's, leaning on my usual crash barrier halfway up the terrace. I decided it was time for my pre match chocolate milkshake which was my favoured drink at the time, you may remember they were plastic bottles with foil lids you had to peel off or poke your thumb though, I chose the poke the lid in method, on this occasion it caused the milkshake to project itself out like champange spray all over the coat of a guy stood a couple of steps down, it my horror he turned around disturbed by my friends laughter to see what the joke was. I said hello with a smile and waited for the abuse to come at me but he merely waved and said hello back! Don't think he realised til he got home what had happened as I didn't have the guts to confess but I felt terrible!

On another drink related story, I went to Anfield a few years ago with Stevie P (South Uppers Canvey dwelling Red) for a game against Charlton, the legend that is Chrissie Powell was in the Addicks line up. It was a horrible day weather wise chucking down with rain, blowing a gale, freezing cold. I was on the way back to my seat just before kick off with a large diet coke and was edging my way pass people, tried to step over a chair into my seat but got my foot caught and managed to empty my large ice filled cup of diet coke into the lap of a lady in the seat next to mine. Quickly apologising I could have died on the spot but my apology managed to save me a Scouse beating.

Back