• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not much has happened to me really, fell onto a seat at the Southampton away game last season after attempting to catch a players shirt, the most embarrassing part is the fact that it was Lewis Hunt's shirt though.
At this seasons meet the blues day during the crossbar challenge I got hit on the head by a Moussa attempt, nothing too bad really.

Didnt happen to me personally, but i remember on Forans home debut he was over at the West stand signing autographs when a young lad (about 13-14) shouted.

"Make him speak, i wna hear his Scottish accent."

Both parties were very embarrased when he turned round and went...

"Scottish? Scottish? Pfff." [Ran off.]

Richie has now just gone up 5,000% in my estimations :hilarious:

D,W,B the chap spraying and appearing on crimewatch was and is a southend fan,long live the Devil.

Last game of last season, walking around in a spiderman outfit. Loved it though so doing it again at the end of this season! :)

Mine was at cheltenham away in about 99. I was absoloutely dying to drop my guts. The previous night i had a serious **** up and vindaloo. There was only a hut for the gents and that was for p'ing only, so i went over to the ladies which was basically porta loos . I opened the door at a really quiet time in the match (like it was old trafford anyway) and the woman in the toilet who hadnt locked the door screamed like i was some kind of perv. I turned round to scornful looks from all the stewards and some of the southend faithful including my then girlfiend. It wasnt good!!

Breaking my chair at the O's game on saturday.....not thro frustration but i think i may need to attend the gym more often...

made my kids laugh if nothing else...

Several candidates, but a prime one was when my girlfriend, now wife, was at Uni in Leicester and I was working up there. Come the Saturday (5th of December as it happens) I dragged her into the Mkll Cortina, and up the motorway to Chesterfield. Anyone who wants to check the fixture list for that year will soon realise that not only were we not playing Chesterfield that day, but in fact we had already played Chesterfield (and beaten them) in October :o .

So who were we playing, then? Chester. :thump: It's an easy mistake to make when you are trying to remember the fixture list from Wednesday's Pools Prediction in the Mirror. Well it was for me, anyway. All was not lost though, as we had set off early and a mad drive across country saw us standing on the terraces in time to see Danny Greaves score in a 1-1 draw.

(BTW for any interested Stattos that was the season that Chester only lost 11 games, and only 1 away, and finished comfortably bottom having drawn no fewer than 28 of their 46 games.)

Cambridge away 1999, one of Damian's famous trips, we had a 25 year old bus which broke down about 15 miles outside of Cambridge. Damian got this guy to take us in his van. Must have been 30 of us in the back of this van, it was pitch black and we are squashed in like sardines,how we didnt get crushed to death I will never know. Never forget the looks on peoples faces as we all piled out of this van. They must have thought we had come in a Tardis.

Another one that springs to mind is Exeter 1991, near the end of the season and we were going up, we score to make it 2-1, one guy fell over I fell over him and then someone fell over me, then someone over him until there was about 6 of us lying in this tangled heap. Had a few bruises the next day but it didnt matter that win put us on the verge of Promotion to Division 2 for the 1st time ever.

D,W,B the chap spraying and appearing on crimewatch was and is a southend fan,long live the Devil.

Great, mugged off by a fellow fan..

TBH, I was seen strolling past him without a care in the world, don't actuall think I got any in the face, he was probably spraying Derby fans then, and the vapour drifted past, so I will forgive him just this once

Mate....that is when it was at its height....maybe not the results but the hard core that stood in the centre of the North Bank...i started of so many surges, dangerous thinking about it now, but when you were a youngster, really good fun. "Sammy give us the ball Sammy Sammy give us the ball"....quality

The grease was indeed black tarry stuff that indeed ruined some of my tops.....still have marks off it on one of my old SUFC tops.

Do you remember sitting down one night in the North Bank and refusing to applaud at anything.....some sort of demonstration against Knobson if i remember rightly. I was Photographed and in the Echo next to a huge "Jobson out" banner in the car park after that game....or maybe another game, there were so many games that we held protest at about Jobson

I think that happened on more than one occasion...especially the demos in the car park!!

Remember chanting "Blue Army" for a whole 45 mins once, god my voice suffered the next day...

I also remember getting to the ground about an hour or so before kick off and sitting down at the turnstile at the front of the queue. Once the turnstiles opened, it was pay your fiver and leg it as fast as possible to my favourite spot, bang in the middle of the North Bank, right behind the barrier about half way up!!!

Those were the days, never to be repeated. Still, we have our memories:D

Last edited:
two candidates for embarrassment:

Number 1: When they first built the South Stand we went in there for a pre season Friendly. We sat right at the back.. we scored... we jumped up to celebrate, and I realised I could reach the bar across the top. I decided to swing on said bar, almost booting the person in front square in the head. This in itself wasnt the cause of the blushes. It was when my mate who worked for RBS in Southend at the time said they'd been into Roots Hall as they're the bankers for the club, and they'd been shown CCTV footage "of some idiot who thinks he's a Monkey swinging from the south stand on Saturday". -OH DEAR

Number 2: August 29th 1987 (thanks SUFCDB) - Gills away - lost 8-1, and the 1 was an own goal. There was a fella behind me who said "oh dear, this is as bad as Brighton away 20 years ago.... I went to that as well". I remember thinking at the time how sad that was... except I'd be saying the same now about that Gills game!!!! HA HA!!

Could we please hear from the chap who managed to fall over and roll through some dog dirt on his way to the Sheffiled Wednesday - SUFC 5th round FA cup game.

That'll be me, fortunately I was too wrecked to care at the time. It was an unpleasant journey back from Sheffiled to the South Coast though not to mention my social pariah status in the pub in Chesterfield on the way back.

Number 2: August 29th 1987 (thanks SUFCDB) - Gills away - lost 8-1, and the 1 was an own goal. There was a fella behind me who said "oh dear, this is as bad as Brighton away 20 years ago.... I went to that as well". I remember thinking at the time how sad that was... except I'd be saying the same now about that Gills game!!!! HA HA!!

I did go to both games, Brighton when we lost 9-1 was my first away trip, and I still came back for more.:cry:

I also once went on a last day of the season party to Macclesfield dressed as Jesus. It was OK once I had met up with everyone but getting dressed up as Jesus and walking along the concourse at Brighton station at 6am was not fun.

I only didnt feel like a **** when I saw Bob Evans (RIP) and the Hound dressed up as a clown and zoro respectivly.

I also asked a girl called Mary who worked in the snack bar at Macc if she was a virgin.

I think that happened on more than one occasion...especially the demos in the car park!!

Remember chanting "Blue Army" for a whole 45 mins once, god my voice suffered the next day...

I also remember getting to the ground about an hour or so before kick off and sitting down at the turnstile at the front of the queue. Once the turnstiles opened, it was pay your fiver and leg it as fast as possible to my favourite spot, bang in the middle of the North Bank, right behind the barrier about half way up!!!

Those were the days, never to be repeated. Still, we have our memories:D

Mate that is exactly were i stood for years......probably know you mate

Not too many embarrassing moments for me, possibly the worst was a cup replay at Hartlepool back in 2002. I'd nipped off the the food bar to get a pie and a cup of tea at half time, and on the way back across the stand to my seat an errant ball smacked me straight in the hand, sending both my pie and my tea flying :(

Having the rest of the stand chant 'who are ya' just made me feel worse :p

Back