• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Richard_Cadette

The Realist
I havent read any of the other match reviews on here yet, I didnt want that to affect what my take on things was, but it will be interesting to see if I concur with everybody else.

Overall, I thought it was a fairly lacklustre performance, in more ways than one, and I think overall, we would have to be more than happy with getting a point from the game. I thought Barnsley caused us more problems than we did them, and had it not have been for Daryl, we would surely have still been in second spot.

I thought the midfield looked decidely off colour, and whilst im sure that was down to the two changes, I still expected more from the likes of Maher and Gutteridge. The pick of the quartet for me was Campbell Ryce, if a little too eager to crowd please at times.

Lawson lacks the pace to be a decent replacement on the left, or right, side of midfield, although in fairness, he certainly didnt let anyone down.

For me, one of the reasons we may be mis-firing a bit at the moment is the form of Captain Kev, who for me, over the last few games, has been way short of his best, and eveb Gutts didnt have a great game Saturday.... Not sure how he got voted MOTM!!

Again, difficult to be too downhearted after the start we have had, but it still feels very low key considering we have just regained top spot! We will need to perform much, much better than that at Ashton Gate on Saturday to get any kind of result out of Bristol City.

My ratings as follows:-

Daryl - 8 - Probably MOTM in my opinion, made a few very good stops and was faultless during the 90 minutes.

Hunt - 7 - Much better game than at Donny, proving that was just a bad day at the office.

Wilson - 6 - Generally ok, but still looks suspect on anything that he has to deal with in the air to me

Barrett - 6 - A more forceful performance than of late, although nowhere to be seen for there soft equaliser

Edawards - 7 - Solid, no nonsense display, doesnt take any risks when in danger

Campbell Ryce - 7.5 - Very promising full league debut for JCR, tricky, quick, and although final ball sometimes lacking, very dangerous

Lawons - 6 - Tried hard, didnt let anyone down, but not too effective

Maher - 5 - Broke things up well at times, but his passing and set pieces were again severly lacking

Gutteridge - 6 - Spent most of the afternoon trying to avoid Barnsley's bull boy tactics employed on him, he did well just to be able to jog off!!

Eastwood - 7 - Looked lively, made some very good runs and was always offering himself as an outlet.

Goater - 5 - For me he needs a rest, or to start on the bench, took the penalty very well, but apart from that, hugely ineffective.

I wont bother with the substitutions as I dont think any of them had a massive impact. Gower looked a littler ring rusty, and Gray will never be a right sided midfielder, so difficult to make any kind of educated judgement.

Overall, dissapointing not to get back to winning ways, but we didnt lose, we're top of the league, and nobody has really made any ground on us. Hopefully that will be our two game blip before we win the next 8 on the bounce!!

Disagree with a few.

JCR was a weak link on Saturday IMHO, although I think he will come good.

Maher's set pieces were off but his in-play passing was excellent.  I think we missed Bentley.

Wilson was very solid.

Who's Edawards and Lawons?

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thought Flavs was both hero and villain on Saturday - kept us in the game more than once but IMO, was at fault for their goal. Why does he never have anyone on either post at set pieces? Wilson - by his standards - had a really good game. He didn't have to do an awful lot, but didn't do anything wrong as far as I can remember. Maher was definitely not at his best and hasn't been for the last 2 games I've seen. When Maher's great, the team is great - when he's poor, the team is poor.

Fair enough!

As I said, I thought JCR was a little too eager to please the crowd on Saturday, but he was the most creative out of the midfield quartet, and I suppoes with an out and out winger, sometimes you have to accept that they wont be as defensive minded than say a left sided midfielder. But it's early days, Ive seen enough of him to think hes capable of great things!!

I do agree that we missed Bentley on Saturday, which I never thought id find myself saying on the right hand side of midfield, but he seems to have made that his own in recent games.

As for Che, im sorry, but I just dont think he deals with balls in the air very well, his judgement is not great and the goal we conceded aainst Huddersfield would back that up. Im not saying hes playing badly, on the contrary, I think he has adjusted very well to the step up, but I think he is suspect in that area, thats all!!

As for the last comment......
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Oct. 24 2005,11:36)]Daryl - 8 - Probably MOTM in my opinion, made a few very good stops and was faultless during the 90 minutes.
I thought he could could have taken the cross that led to the goal rather than remaining rooted to his line.

Thought JCR was goodish up until the equaliser which undid all his good work - he gave the ball away cheaply twice in the space of 30 seconds when trying to be too clever and then when gave away the free kick that led to the goal when trying to retreive the ball. Very poor.

My initial thought on the goal was Flavs was to blame - should have come for the cross or anticipated it being flicked towards the far post. Having seen the replay, there was little he could have done. Barrett should have probably been tighter on Richards.

The keeper always gets blamed for that type of goal but they are in a no win situation.

If he anticpates the fact that no-one will get a touch (or any such touch is minimal) then if there IS a deflection or bigger touch then he has gone the wrong way and everyone will say "where was the goalie?". However, if he stays put, anticipating the header (which usually comes) then on the rare occasion everyone misses it then if it's on target, it's in.

Answer - defence should have headed it away.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Oct. 24 2005,12:21)]Maher's set pieces were off but his in-play passing was excellent.  I think we missed Bentley.
Forget his in play passing, what about the amount of times he was the last man in midfield, reading the play and getting in a very timely challenge. Unfortunately it's that rather unglamorous side of the game that seems to always be overlooked.

I thought the whole team looked disjointed on Saturday, and the only players who seemed on top form was Flavs and Eagle. Kev was fine in open play IMO, but his set plays delivery was inexplicably woeful.

Goats and Freddy didn't really link up well, mainly as Freddy hardly ever gambles on the Goat winning flick-ons, which he did most of the game.

JCR was very pretty but unproductive, very little final product for a player of his skill and pace. Lawson seemed scared to take people on (perhaps incase he got fouled and went over for a second yellow?), and rarely crossed it despite working himself into good positions with great off-the-ball play.

Hunt and Che were OK without standing out, and Barrett got stuffed on the half-way line on a few occasions, especially when we were under sustained pressure in the second half.

Gower and especially Gray added more urgency to the game, but came at a time when it just made things more frenetic as both teams continued to try to press for a winner, rather than steadying the ship and applying sustained pressure.

Jay Smith was too small and too late to count.

We are top of the league! Say we are top of the league!

Thats all I am saying

You get dodgy games - but where are we in the league?

Top I do believe

biggrin.gif

I have often said that when Maher is good the team works well, but when maher is bad he gets so much stick because it sticks out like a saw thumb. I was sitting in the east blues on saturday and had some bird who resemble waynetta slob shouting maher your s%&t etc for the whole game. I dont know what the guy has to do to get any kind of recognisition. It really is sad. On the subject of JCR he will need to learn the same as gower that this team rely's on defence as much if not more than attack and he will need to change his game. That said he will be a class act make no mistake.

Have to say, I just didnt see it. Maher did not have a good game on Saturday. Everyone has there favourites, and it seems some players are above criticism on here, but he just didnt have a good game.

Im well aware he does a lot of 'unseen' worj protecting the back four, but I thought the back four were quite exposed as a whole on Saturday, hence my point about him not performing well.

Im not in the business of slagging players off for the sake of it, but he didnt play well. I guess if other people saw it differently, then so be it, footie is a game of opinions!

One point I would answer though, someone said that Freddie wasnt reading Goater's flick on's very well..... I could probably count on one hand the amount of times Goater actually won a header against there centre half, I would say for a man of his stature and aerial advantage, he doesnt win enough in the air.

But having said all of that, we're top of the league!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Oct. 24 2005,13:47)]We are top of the league! Say we are top of the league!

Thats all I am saying

You get dodgy games - but where are we in the league?

Top I do believe

biggrin.gif
I think it's rarely been chanted with such a lack of conviction as one Saturday!

Back