• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Stadium...different view

From my perspective the assertions that we DO have the potential to make use of a 22k seater stadium is nuts. I believe in the team. Not the board.

We took that many to Cardiff the first time. Since then our attendances have increased substantially, and there have been occasions when Roots Hall (capacity just over 12,000) has limited our income from matches considerably. I remember when sides like Reading and Wigan were tiny, and they've overcome greater local competition than we would have to in order to realise their potential fanbases.

The feeling of goodwill around the Southend area towards the team is almost unrecognisable from when I was a kid, when being a fan made you a member of a persecuted minority even though we were in the midst of our spell at the highest level we've ever attained. We need to cash in on that feeling while we can.

Playing decent football at a higher level (06/07) more than doubled our attendances when compared to the dark days in the basement. That average of over 10k in the CCC was limited by our stadium capacity, most games were pretty much sold out and the numbers are slightly down due to segregation and the numerous limited view/leg-room seats at RH.

Like is said, what are the chances of us consolidating in the CCC, let alone making the Prem league?

Many clubs have tried this, "build a new stadium, aim for the upper echelons of the CCC then push for Prem" method, granted some have succeeded, but there are those that have failed. Miserably. Now those clubs face financial obscurity.

I am afraid we could turn into one of those clubs.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for a new stadium and a 22k seater would be pukka if we could fill it week in week out, but deep down, i think we all know we won't.

I don't see a team 50 miles away as being direct competition for our fanbase.

That was my point LOL. Swans and Cardiff are rivals, and share the same fanbase, despite the fact they are 40 miles apart. That's why we cannot compare ourselves to them

Like is said, what are the chances of us consolidating in the CCC, let alone making the Prem league?

Many clubs have tried this, "build a new stadium, aim for the upper echelons of the CCC then push for Prem" method, granted some have succeeded, but there are those that have failed. Miserably. Now those clubs face financial obscurity.

I am afraid we could turn into one of those clubs.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for a new stadium and a 22k seater would be pukka if we could fill it week in week out, but deep down, i think we all know we won't.

those that have failed would have disappeared into financial obscurity even if they hadn't built the new ground. This is the key point... we can be a successful CCC or L1 team without a new ground.

More often than not a new stadium has propelled a team up the leagues, or if they were already in the CCC they've managed to stay up there and begin to slowly develop. I actually think we've got a lot of the groundwork in place (in terms of youth team development especially) that means that once we get the new ground we'll be in an excellent position. Oxford, Darlington and Rushden and Diamonds are the only teams with new grounds who have gone the other way, that I can think of.

We took that many to Cardiff the first time. Since then our attendances have increased substantially, and there have been occasions when Roots Hall (capacity just over 12,000) has limited our income from matches considerably. I remember when sides like Reading and Wigan were tiny, and they've overcome greater local competition than we would have to in order to realise their potential fanbases.

True, there have been times when a bigger ground would have suited us. But there have also been times when Roots Hall has been too big for us and a half filled stadium looks silly. Now just imagine we were in the CCC, spent a fair bit on players, and tried pushing for the Prem, but we are only attracting 11-12k people per week. Will we turn over enough revenue to pay decent wages to the required calibre of players?

As for Reading and Wigan, they have had so much financial backing its ridiculous

Is there not also a certain amount of encouragement to be taken from the fact that the funding for the stadium was secured during the credit crunch, when one might expect that the financial viability of the project might come under greater scrutiny than ever? Evidently some very experienced people in the sector feel that FF is one of a very small minority of such developments worth backing in the current economic climate.

t
More often than not a new stadium has propelled a team up the leagues, or if they were already in the CCC they've managed to stay up there and begin to slowly develop. I actually think we've got a lot of the groundwork in place (in terms of youth team development especially) that means that once we get the new ground we'll be in an excellent position. Oxford, Darlington and Rushden and Diamonds are the only teams with new grounds who have gone the other way, that I can think of.

If you look at those teams that have progressed well, you could cite their success on their stadia, but i'd think it was more do do with the rich benefactors they have behind them.

Agree we have a decent set up though

Is there not also a certain amount of encouragement to be taken from the fact that the funding for the stadium was secured during the credit crunch, when one might expect that the financial viability of the project might come under greater scrutiny than ever? Evidently some very experienced people in the sector feel that FF is one of a very small minority of such developments worth backing in the current economic climate.

Final pieces were secured during the credit crunch, But i thought the majority of it has been sorted for years?

To be honest very few clubs fill their Stadiums week in week out.

With an Improvement on the pitch from 4th tier to the bottom of teir 2 resulting in a 250% increase in average attendance (3951 02/03 to 10,022 06/07) I can see the arguments for a "mere" 100% increase in capacity given the ambition of the upper reaches of the championship

Final pieces were secured during the credit crunch, But i thought the majority of it has been sorted for years?

I meant that it had been finalised, but the point still stands that I don't believe that an overly risky project would have been in the current climate.

IMO i think this is the most crucial point. Yes it is obviously good to plan for the future, and to aim for the higher tiers etc etc.

BUT...

What is the chances of us actually hitting that level?

You are right, it is the most crucial point.

But what are the chances if we don't do it?

So, we will go under if we don't build but we might go under if we do.....

No brainer!

Totally agree, it IS a no brainer. Like i've said i'm all for the new stadium, and have even said in this thread i would love nothing more than to have a packed 22,000 seater stadium, and have us push for a Premier League spot.

But in all reality, it is unlikely we will sell out FF week in week out. My feeling is this COULD, (not neccessarily WILL) cause our downfall.

My feeling is this COULD, (not neccessarily WILL) cause our downfall.

I know Sheriff H would be a good bet for actual figures, but the difference between say 14k of seats and 22k is a mere couple of million, and in the scheme of things that couple of mill wouldn't be the stick to break us, should the worst happen

I know Sheriff H would be a good bet for actual figures, but the difference between say 14k of seats and 22k is a mere couple of million, and in the scheme of things that couple of mill wouldn't be the stick to break us, should the worst happen

nope, and it would be made up after several games with attendances in the 18-19,000's, rather than stuck at 14,000. Not beyond the realms of possibility if we get into the CCC or get a big cup draw

Like is said, what are the chances of us consolidating in the CCC, let alone making the Prem league?.

But you said you believe in the team (but not the board) right?

If we get any good players, capable of playing in the CCC, or a fantastic manager (with a very good image) then they will not stick around to play / manage in League 1, in a run down laughing stock of a stadium, which is what it will look like, if it still exists in 10 years time.

Good Manager = good team
good team = higher division
higher division = bigger crowds and increased revenue
bigger crowds and increased revenue = strengthen squad without going bust
E = MC2 (apparently)

Crappy stadium = mass exodus of all your best players and relegation. Scratching around the non leagues trying to unearth a gem every season

Maybe so. Guess we'll never really know.

Another point though, do we want a stadium that is only half filled every week? So we look like these?

0,,10339%7E3653583,00.jpg

2796878068_b8563aa91f.jpg

JJB_Stadium_04-12-11.jpg

moz-screenshot-10.jpg
750px-Reebokstadium_inside.jpg

Another point though, do we want a stadium that is only half filled every week? So we look like these?

If its a choice between your pics (didnt feel the need to reproduce them) and a cramped RH unable to cope with 10k then the i take the former

Much as i love RH and have literally grown up (well some would say just grown older) there its had its day and we need to move to a bigger and better stadium .. empty seats on occasion et al

Back