• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Stadium...different view

Why dont we move in with West Ham, that will save some money...

...and I will be leaving SZ now so thanks for the memories. ;)

Leaving with my boot up your arse :finger:

Now now we all know violence wont be tolerated at the boleyn ground, you will have to change that attitude when we move in.

please not I was joking before I really do get some abuse, the community stadium as a share might work though.

Final pieces were secured during the credit crunch, But i thought the majority of it has been sorted for years?

Incorrect. The original bankers got squeezed and pulled out. RM has had to get new financing and convince Bankers* all over again - and he has succeeded, so SS's point stands.

*Morgan Stanley?

The feeling of goodwill around the Southend area towards the team is almost unrecognisable from when I was a kid, when being a fan made you a member of a persecuted minority even though we were in the midst of our spell at the highest level we've ever attained. We need to cash in on that feeling while we can.

Totally agree with that, there was a handful of Southend fans in my year at school i'm sure its totally different now.

Anyway we could argue all day about the size of the ground but its a bit pointless because its going to be 22,000 whether we like it or not.

Absolutely.

What really mystifies me is when many of the same posters who decry the stadium plans as overstretching ourselves then bemoan a lack of short termist transfer spending as a lack of ambition. FF could do things for the club that no player on a two or three year contract is ever going to.

Nail on head.
As I've said earlier there is a case for a smaller ground but it does mean accepting Southend as a lower league club and as you say those that want a smaller stadium often seem to be those most angry about current/recent league positions. There is a glaring inconsistency in their stance.

The distances are about the same, i'll agree with that, but the difference is, you either support Swansea or Cardiff.

You're missing one major point nout here though, the majority in South wales support neither, Rugby is the main sport in that area by quite some margin

Build it and they will come.. There are plenty of extra people who would come to watch Southend , but dont want to endure the craphole that Roots Hall is now.. Cramped seating, obstructed views, bars that would get closed down if they were on the high street. There is huge potential

Build it and they will come.. There are plenty of extra people who would come to watch Southend , but dont want to endure the craphole that Roots Hall is now.. Cramped seating, obstructed views, bars that would get closed down if they were on the high street. There is huge potential

Even tho I feel we are over extending and that the Stadium/re-location is being used as a vehicle to push through the over evelopement of a green field site..........I think you are right!! Lets hope, when 'it' comes, its for the right reasons, that the club do indeed benefit financially from the deveopement and not just be given a sparkly new home at a massive rent. Fingers crossed eh?

Current ground capacities

Here's some stats that should put this debate to bed:

Clubs with ground capacity 22,000 or over
Prem 19
Champ 13
Lge1 6
Lge2 2

Ground capacity 18,000 to 21,000
Prem 1 Portsmouth who are planning bigger ground
Champ 7 including Bristol City who are planning bigger ground
Lge1 1
Lge2 2

Ground capacity 15,000 to 17,000
Champ 2 including Peterborough who are planning bigger ground
Lge1 3

Ground capacity 14,000 or under
Champ 2 including Blackpool whose ground is still half-finished and
Scunthorpe who are planning bigger ground
Lge1 14
Lge2 20

It's hard to escape conclusion that 14,000 ground means a future shuttling between league 1 and league 2.
Also confirms that right to change our plans from 17,000 to 22,000.
Trend is for either 22,000 and over or 14,000 and under.

Popular opinion believes crowds are on the up yet after researching the database tells a rather different story.League games against Orient have dipped to nearly 1000 down from the highest attendance,In fact the 04/05 season the league 2 encounter had around 300 more than this seasons fixture .

I suspect we currently have around 7000 core supporters maybe even less,The opening fixture against Huddersfield was an attractive encounter because Clarke and Robinson were returning not to mention Town were amongst pre season favs,Yet only around 6500 home fans attended.

The stats for large stadiums are impressive yet how many are half full or less?Look at Millwall with their 20,000 smart ground,Always under half full and one of the stands constantly closed.

Popular opinion believes crowds are on the up yet after researching the database tells a rather different story.League games against Orient have dipped to nearly 1000 down from the highest attendance,In fact the 04/05 season the league 2 encounter had around 300 more than this seasons fixture .

I suspect we currently have around 7000 core supporters maybe even less,The opening fixture against Huddersfield was an attractive encounter because Clarke and Robinson were returning not to mention Town were amongst pre season favs,Yet only around 6500 home fans attended.

The stats for large stadiums are impressive yet how many are half full or less?Look at Millwall with their 20,000 smart ground,Always under half full and one of the stands constantly closed.

because the league started earlier than ever... bang in the middle of the summer holidays. we always get lower than average gates in august

because the league started earlier than ever... bang in the middle of the summer holidays. we always get lower than average gates in august

No excuses against Oldham then,I predict our lowest crowd of the season being around 7500 maybe even less.

And? 5 years ago that would have been one of the biggest crowds of the season?

indeed, he's just cherry-picking attendances whilst the average season attendance shows an increase over time and over league position

Back