• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 16 2006,21:11)]The man has been a driving force behind 3 of the best albums this millennium.
Really? But isn't Doherty that chap from The Libertines and Babyshambles?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Feb. 18 2006,08:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 16 2006,21:11)]The man has been a driving force behind 3 of the best albums this millennium.
Really? But isn't Doherty that chap from The Libertines and Babyshambles?
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 17 2006,18:42)]and even if it was last millennium I was talking about.....Gilmour? Overblown pompous prog rock comes no-where near anything resembling the best albums. I'd rather listen to the fecking Spice Girls than bilge produced by Pink Floyd!

laugh.gif
zig - a - zig - ahhh Ron
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ Feb. 18 2006,14:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 17 2006,18:42)]and even if it was last millennium I was talking about.....Gilmour? Overblown pompous prog rock comes no-where near anything resembling the best albums. I'd rather listen to the fecking Spice Girls than bilge produced by Pink Floyd!

laugh.gif
zig - a - zig - ahhh Ron  
biggrin.gif
Exactly Perth Shrimper, a fantastic pop single which is better than anything Pink Floyd have ever produced.

That's not me being funny or ironic but my honest opinion. Even though The Spice Girls were 100% manufactured, even though most of the credit for their music goes to their writers and producers and even though their music was very throwaway and of it's time.

So bringing us back on topic, would it matter if Pete Doherty had been 'manuactured' by The KLF? Would it make his music any less enjoyable or his live gigs any less thrilling?

To me, no. So fecking what?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 17 2006,19:42)]I'd rather listen to the fecking Spice Girls than bilge produced by Pink Floyd!
Funny that ... I'd rather listen to the fecking Spice Girls than bilge produced by Pete Doherty ...

wink.gif

WS
Jávea

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 19 2006,10:44)]So bringing us back on topic, would it matter if Pete Doherty had been 'manuactured' by The KLF? Would it make his music any less enjoyable or his live gigs any less thrilling?
The answer of course is no - "Up the Bracket" would remain one of the greats of this millenium so far even if PD was unmasked as a phoney. It would make all those buying into 'Pete Doherty the myth' and the hype surrounding his every move look rather stupid though. I never did so it would make no odds to me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 16 2006,12:13)]The strange thing about the KLF was how people reacted to them after they burnt £1m in a fire on a Scottish island, "just because they could".
Didn't they make the ashes into a brick or did I dream that?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Feb. 19 2006,12:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 19 2006,10:44)]So bringing us back on topic, would it matter if Pete Doherty had been 'manuactured' by The KLF? Would it make his music any less enjoyable or his live gigs any less thrilling?
The answer of course is no - "Up the Bracket" would remain one of the greats of this millenium so far even if PD was unmasked as a phoney. It would make all those buying into 'Pete Doherty the myth' and the hype surrounding his every move look rather stupid though. I never did so it would make no odds to me.
I would probably say that the only one's really buying into that 'myth' are very naive and usually (although not exclusively) quite young.

Of course he's not an icon, poet or spokesman for a generation - only a small percentage of people in their late teens and early twenties own any of his CD's or have been to any of his gigs.

The hype around him is beinf entirely generated by the media because they love to write about these type of f%&ked up 'geniuses' (note the inverted commas) who have a dependancy on some sort of narcotic (be it class A's or alcohol) and shag beautiful people (such as supermodel Kate Moss). They will build up and then knock down these tragic souls untill they fulfil their destiny of an early grave at which point they will make them saints (George Best anyone?). That is the tabloid style media we have in this country and it's fed by the desire of the people who buy it.

Of course Pete Doherty is manufactured, at least to a certain extent. If not by the KLF or some other kind of secret svengali then certainly by the kind of papers and magazines we read, TV we watch and radio we listen to. But then that is also true of any other musician, actor, TV personality, sportsperson or any other kind of public figure who achieves any kind of success.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 19 2006,21:07)]Of course Pete Doherty is manufactured, at least to a certain extent. If not by the KLF or some other kind of secret svengali then certainly by the kind of papers and magazines we read, TV we watch and radio we listen to. But then that is also true of any other musician, actor, TV personality, sportsperson or any other kind of public figure who achieves any kind of success.
Spot on Ron.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrB @ Feb. 19 2006,16:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 16 2006,12:13)]The strange thing about the KLF was how people reacted to them after they burnt £1m in a fire on a Scottish island, "just because they could".
Didn't they make the ashes into a brick or did I dream that?
You may have dreamt about it... but you're also spot on - they did turn it into a brick.

The £1m brick...

I thought I vaguely remember seeing something about that, I'm not going mad after all, cheers!
smile.gif

Back