• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
Over the course of the weekend I was tasked with finding a friend of mine a ticket for V Festival as she'd been ripped off on eBay and was in a bit of a panic about missing out. As it happens, I know someone from Uni who's a bit of a dab hand with these occasions.

As something of a prologue, this lad has lived something of a charmed life courtesy of his parents. They're very well connected and make a very reasonable living doing not a lot and, throughout his three years at University, let's just say he never wanted for much. His parents wouldn't let him get the student loan, so they loaned him what he'd recieve and gave him an extra weekly allowance of £200 to see him through, the poor lamb...

Throughout Uni, he topped up this £200 by selling complimentary tickets his parents had passed on to him here, there and everywhere. FA Cup final, Ashes, Rugby World Cup, Comedians, Music... You name it, he could probably get it for you. I didn't have a problem with it in principle, but he always charged vastly in excess of face value which, considering he got them complimentary, made me always aware he was something of a tosser.

This culminated in our graduation ceremony last year, where he bought people's unwanted tickets early on at face value (£10), waited until two weeks before the ceremony and then tried to flog them on facebook to families at £17 a pop.

So I contacted him on Monday, knowing that this friend of mine would go up to £240 owing to her desperation to be there. He had a few lying around and quoted me £200, citing mates rates which I understand is a reasonable enough price for the ticket in question (Red, Camping).

All willing to go ahead and Paypal him the money, until he comes up with this gem "Yeah mate, don't forget to add postage at £4.50, £5 booking fee and £3.50 for the stage/time list..."

I honestly thought he was joking. I replied with a sarcy remark asking him if I should send the shirt off my back in the post and he responded with "Well, if you don't want the tickets, I'll sell them elsewhere." For the record, he doesn't run a business where booking fee's would be applicable, he simply has the tickets to sell on.

Out of principle, I told him to stick the tickets and managed to get one for £210 without any of the garbage he tried to charge me for.

So, People of SZ, Would you classify this man as a smart businessman ready to capitalise on a commodity, or simply an outright Tosser ready to make a quick bit of cash out of someone elses desperation?

He is basically doing what Robbie Earle did in the world cup (except Robbie did not profit from his tickets) and that got him the sack

It is illegal for certain events, I believe Football is one of them, for tickets to be transferred at all, whether they are purchased or Comps.

definitely doesn't sound like a mate. Any idea how his parents get the complimentary tickets... it may be worth a tip off if so!!

I had a mate at uni who also has a very cunning way of making the extra cash. He would hire out pro sportsmen for an hour of their time and get them to sign as many shirts, flags and photos as they can in that time and then sell on the items as souvenirs.

Last edited:
definitely doesn't sound like a mate. Any idea how his parents get the complimentary tickets... it may be worth a tip off if so!!

He's definitely not a mate by definition, just someone I happen to know from my Uni days as he was on the course that ran parallell with mine and, as such, shared a few lectures/seminars with. That said, he's still someone who I've shared a pint with on more than a few occasions so, despite him being a bit of a tosser, I wouldn't particularly want to be expose him... After all, if he can get me tickets for the Champions League final at Wembley in May then all will be forgiven.

In terms of the tickets, I know his father has a few friends in high places at the FA as he managed to land himself a cushty work experience spell when he was by no means the most qualified. He never really said exactly what his old man done, probably for the best as he'd be shopped in a heartbeat, but he made it pretty clear he made a living doing nothing more than a great deal of corporate back slapping.

He's definitely not a mate by definition, just someone I happen to know from my Uni days as he was on the course that ran parallell with mine and, as such, shared a few lectures/seminars with. That said, he's still someone who I've shared a pint with on more than a few occasions so, despite him being a bit of a tosser, I wouldn't particularly want to be expose him... After all, if he can get me tickets for the Champions League final at Wembley in May then all will be forgiven.

In terms of the tickets, I know his father has a few friends in high places at the FA as he managed to land himself a cushty work experience spell when he was by no means the most qualified. He never really said exactly what his old man done, probably for the best as he'd be shopped in a heartbeat, but he made it pretty clear he made a living doing nothing more than a great deal of corporate back slapping.

For being such a **** to you, I say shop him!

So, People of SZ, Would you classify this man as a smart businessman ready to capitalise on a commodity, or simply an outright Tosser ready to make a quick bit of cash out of someone elses desperation?

Certainly not a mate and unless he managed to sell them somewhere else, not much of a businessman as he lost the sale and presumably lost any chance of supplying you in the future.

He is of course a smart cookie and a scoundrel. Trouble with this type is that they would make money off their own grandmother. Not the type to have as a friend, but they have their uses now and again.

No one likes a grass :nope:

He would of been better of telling you the ticket was £220 rather than trying to make himself sound like some kind of big time charley when in fact he just has some tickets to shift

No one likes a grass :nope:

He would of been better of telling you the ticket was £220 rather than trying to make himself sound like some kind of big time charley when in fact he just has some tickets to shift

Agreed - he knocks out a few complimentary tickets to people who want to buy them, he's not exactly a nonce is he? Why would anyone grass him up just because they don't like the price he quoted? He's probably a tosser but at the end of the day, he's providing a service - albeit not a legal one. In a similar vein everyone likes to slag off drug dealers as "scum" etc etc but half the country's getting off their head every weekend....double standards.....

When I saw the subject, I thought this was another thread about our glorious leader Sir Ronald:)

Agreed - he knocks out a few complimentary tickets to people who want to buy them, he's not exactly a nonce is he? Why would anyone grass him up just because they don't like the price he quoted? He's probably a tosser but at the end of the day, he's providing a service - albeit not a legal one. In a similar vein everyone likes to slag off drug dealers as "scum" etc etc but half the country's getting off their head every weekend....double standards.....

Nah, I'd shop them too :p

Back