• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubey

tough game and Swindon put up a good fight... we were rubbish in the first half but turn the screw in the 2nd and were good for the win. a lot of improvement in all areas is needed if we want to challenge for promotion but the weather was a leveller and so the 3 points were the main thing today

collis - 7 - dodgy parry for their goal, should have put it anywhere except infront of their striker, but otherwise was solid

hunt - 7 - some brilliant interceptions and was very solid in the back, was let down without a proper right midfielder in front though and so really didn't get into the came attack-wise

clarke - 7.5 - worked like a dog, positionally was quality and strong in the air

barrett - 7.5 - lost his man for the early goal but redeemed it with a classic barrett goal at the other end... was sad to see him injured and forced to leave

hammell - 5 - a shocker for hammell, although an assist for the 1st. the slippery conditions forced him to be even more one footed and the amount of decent attacks that broke down through him was criminal... needs to step up his game

gower - 7 - great goal at the end, and got into the game but in the 1st half was woeful... needs to hit the ground running

bailey - 7 - also struggled in the first half but was probably our smartest player and built some promising moves with morgan especially

maher - 7.5 - sloppy in giving the ball away for their first goal but his effort and workrate was staggering, also was a ronaldinho moment when he beat two players... probably doubling the amount of "skins" he has in his career!!!

mccormack - 6- was average today, passing was way off and at times didn't seem to know where he was supposed to be... i like in principle having 3 CM's but it needs working on if Tilly insists on sticking with it

leon clarke - 8 - even in attrocious conditions everything stuck to him, had a number of close efforts including Van Basten style shot from an acute angle which cracked the bar

morgan - 7 - was the first time i saw him and a bit of an enigma IMO. he worked hard and put in some excellent crosses, but isn't a striker in my opinion and was a long way from leon a lot of the time

subs:

EDIT : richards - 6 - didn't really have to do much, when he did he did it with his usual no nonsence style

macdonald - 7.5 - looked sharp and dangerous when he came on, got a good pat on the back from Tilly at the end

also:

paynter - 7 - probably his best game for southend, broke the swindon play down really well

ref - 7 - let the game flow pretty well and didn't put up with timewasting nonsence

Last edited:
Did Mcdonald come on for Barrett? If he did where we then playing 3 at the back 5 in the middle and 2 upfront ?

As soon as Collis parried out that shot, I thought "oh well, Wiggys just knocked 7/8 points off his rating". I predict wiggy will give him 2/3.

I agree with those ratings in as much as who played better than who but I cant advovate 7.5's and 8's after that performance.

There were long periods we were awful today and I wonder if Gowers shot have gone over the bar what these ratings would be :)

whoops.. just added my rating for richards

and yeah richards came on for barrett early in the 2nd half and macdonald came on for morgan for the last 10

I agree with those ratings in as much as who played better than who but I cant advovate 7.5's and 8's after that performance.

There were long periods we were awful today and I wonder if Gowers shot have gone over the bar what these ratings would be :)

well the way i worked it was a player starts on 6, and even with a few mistakes can get to 7 if they work hard for 90, which they all did. i thought leon clarke was exceptional in difficult circumstances and mccormack dropped marks for his poor passing... maybe i could drop 0.5 off all of them but in the end like you said it's just a way of showing who i thought played well and badly, most of the lads worked hard, made some errors and weren't exceptional but 3 points is what counts and i think we deserved it, even after a shocking first 30

Fair enough.

Certainly cant fault them for effort but we just didnt play today, maybe because of the weather.

Agree we did enough to win it though and if we hadnt gifted them the opener they would never have scored.

forgot my rating for the hoardes of fans who got up and left as soon as the injury time board went up - 1

hahahahahaha, gutted!

Fair enough.

Certainly cant fault them for effort but we just didnt play today, maybe because of the weather.

Agree we did enough to win it though and if we hadnt gifted them the opener they would never have scored.

after the game, The moany old git who sits behind you was outside the East burger stall...moaning about our "undeserved" victory.

after the game, The moany old git who sits behind you was outside the East burger stall...moaning about our "undeserved" victory.

Jeez he moans about everything.

He and his wife moan for 90 minutes constantly, even when we are 4-1 up they dont stop. They have never said one positive comment since they have sat there.

He even said "where do they get these kids" about a ball boy.

He normally shouts "Get him off Tilson" just before the said player scores.

Last edited:
Jeez he moans about everything.

He normally shouts "Get him off Tilson" just before the said player scores.

The blokes in front of me were doing that with Hammell after he put in a bad cross, I made a point of shouting encouragement at him the next time he was in that position and sure enough he put in a peach of a cross with backspin.

classic comment from the south stand upper, just after leon clarke hit the crossbar from a really tight angle

"harrold would have scored that!"

The blokes in front of me were doing that with Hammell after he put in a bad cross, I made a point of shouting encouragement at him the next time he was in that position and sure enough he put in a peach of a cross with backspin.

Moany old git and wife were slating Hammell for taking corners when Swindon broke away after one.

"Why does he take our corners when he has to then get back to left backl?"

a) Bailey covers left back then
b) Do they not remember our corners with Maher taking them ?

You watch we will move to Fossetts with 22,000 seats and he will be right behind me again.

There is bloke in the West stand near me who is constantly on the moan and when Collis parried that shot for their goal, he went in a 5 minute ranting session over Collis and how Flav's should get back in the team. Sitting in front of him is a dear old lady who must be in her 80's and has been to every home game this season. She turned round and said to him "Will you shut up!" It was brilliant! And he stopped moaning after that! That lady is legend!

Back