• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Not much of a review now, we all saw the game I expect, so just a few comments generally. But, in writing this, please bear in mind:

1) I was masochistic enough to watch the game again on TV when I got back, and
2) I have not read any other threads or comments in either the paper or the zone. So if stuff is already covered elsewhere, sorry. It's a deliberate ploy so that I can genuinely put how I see it, without taking into account the views of others.

I could say that the final was summed up in two words: bloody Gower.

With the exception of the last 15 minutes of the first half, that was the worst Gower has played for us, even worse I think than last years final. Almost every time the ball got to him the move broke down by him either getting caught in possession, giving it away or playing an appalling final ball. Which, as he is never a player to shy away from wanting the ball, is a bit of a problem.

But, lets also state that Wrexham had that extra touch of pace fitness and class and it could have actually done us a favour. I think we were in danger of thinking we were actually a darned good team, and almost unbeatable. They have showed us areas we need to strengthen if we do go up in order to avoid coming back down again.

From my view in the upper tier, the pace of the game wasn't evident. On the box it looked much quicker and no wonder the players were knackered. In normal time, once we'd settled, I thought we were unlucky, but it was their day, not ours, and now we have to pick ourselves up. It's lucky that our next game is Orient at home, which will do the job for them. One game you DON'T want after that is Grimsby away. So all is not lost, and now we can concentrate on promotion.

Areas to strengthen:

The spine of the team is superb, but it's flanks that need improving. We know Gower is much better than he was yesterday, but neither he nor Pettefer have the pace to get past a league one fullback. Also, Wilson was yet again exposed and left wanting, but despite being clearly to blame for the 2nd goal, I don't think he actually played too badly otherwise. But he is not a left back and we will need one if we get promoted.

Aside from that, there's not a lot wrong. There were sterling performance from some individuals and I think the future is generally rosy.

Ratings:

Flahavan - 7. Not at fault for either goal and did what he did well enough. No complaints.

Jupp - 7. Solid and made some great challenges, especially in the first 30 mins. Lacks the pace to get past the higher league players.
Wilson - 7. I hope people haven't been too critical for his late gaffe. Otherwise he did very well given the fact that he had so little support from Gower defensively.
Prior - 8.5 - Great performance from Spinner. Nearly scored with first half header.
Barrett - 9.5 - The finest performance I have witnessed from a centre back in our shirt. If his extra time header had gone in it would have been a 10/10 performance. It was difficult to see how that could have been improved upon and surely it has cemented the Player of the Year award?

Pettefer - 6. Couldn't really see what he added to the side yesterday. Looked like he was making up the numbers a bit. Posed no attacking threat at all.
Maher - 7 - broke up a lot of their stuff but still fails to find a blue shirt with sufficient regularity
Bentley - 9 - A real dynamic show, great free kick but marred by the booking which means (I think) he misses the next two games. He will be missed.
Gower - 4 - A liability yesterday. Should have done so much more. Lacks fitness and pace. I really think he has found his level.

Eastwood - 8 - At times proved a real handful and was unlucky not to score. Was totally knackered late on.
Gray - 7 - Worked hard as usual, but chances few and far between. Unselfishly set up Gower who fluffed the chance.

Subs -

McCormack - 6 - OK. Very hot headed. If he plays on Friday I reckon he'll be sent off because the Orient players will know how to wind him up.
Guttridge - 6 - Made one superb pass for Gray but otherwise struggled to get involved.
Dudfield - 6 - Found it hard going

Thanks, fbm - can't really argue with much of that, except Gray looked as if he was on his heels all the time, not anticipating where the ball was going.

I feel your being unfair on Pettefer. We all know he isn't great at going forward. We play him because he is defensive and always puts in 100%. I thought Wilson was very much struggling at the beggining of the game and when Pettefer swapped sides their right winger was nowhere near as much in the game because Pettefer gets back and defends unlike Gower.

Superb as always, fbm. Seems to chime with a lot of what most people are saying here. I hope we strengthen the flanks too in the summer.

As for watching it again when you got home, are you some sort of masochist...?!

oops.gif

Super Cheese Wilson is a weak link in the team and vulnerable to mistakes

Eceelent review. Petts is a solid league 2 performer but will not cut it in league 1 you are right. Gower has not played well for weeks, coinciding with all the Hull chatter - mind on the job?

Good review FBM but my view of things,

I thought Kevin Maher was utter **** yesterday, about a 3 performance, sloppy passing,and I didn't see much or any commitment or effort,

Super Cheese Wilson, after the game, thought he had a good game, although it too him a while to get into the match (like the rest of the team), but he was a fault for both of their goals, Ugarte was his man from the corner and what he was doing for the second I dont know.

Spinner was awesome, Bentley was even better and Barrett was simply the best performance I have ever seen from any player.

And Bloody Gower, Why didn't he shoot?
mad.gif

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OlvisIII @ April 11 2005,14:55)]Eceelent review.  Petts is a solid league 2 performer but will not cut it in league 1 you are right.  Gower has not played well for weeks, coinciding with all the Hull chatter - mind on the job?
If Gower thinks he could cut it in the Championship the way he is playing at the moment, he is sorely, sorely deluded.

Not sure I agree with you at all about Petts, though. It does annoy me how he gets overlooked all the time for all his industry. It is no coincidence that we are where we are in the league, and that he is the only ever-present.

Matt

I am not usually Petts of Che's biggest fan but i was very impressed with both of them yesterday.
People are moaning that Carl didn't pull the trigger a bit more often but that may be a case of him knowing his limitations. if he shoots from 30 yards then misses completly he will get slated for that instead.
You can never win with some people.
On the point of Che losing his man at the corner, surely Ugarte is slightly taller then Che so maybe not the best choice of players to mark which in fairness wouldn't have been his fault.
Also someone didn't win the first header that was knocked down to Ugarte so i think Che is being unfairly picked on.
For the second goal the boys were pushing up so much that something like that was always going to happen. The pitch in cardiff was massive and i don't care what anyone says i think the boys all worked their socks off (maybe with the exception of Gower) and i feel they did themselves proud.

Don't get me wrong, I think Petts has been very reliable. I just think that we need a bit more attacking threat to keep us in league 1 if we make it. Petts does a great job at the moment and I hope will get a new contact as cover.

I agree with that as sad as i will be to see it i think Petts needs to be replaced if we go up.

I disagree with petts, gower & flav for me gower deserves 2 and thats being generous but petts gave 100% and i felt deserved 7 1/2 or 8 flav gets an 8 for the stop on the line.
Just going to delete the game off sky+

I did the same thing as fbm. Just got back and watched the game again and it's funny how differently I saw it.

-> Wrexham started quicker than us but were so poor in the final third, I'm not surprised they didn't score. No idea why Ugarte didn't square to Llewellyn.
-> Freddy looked very dangerous but we couldn't get him on the ball in good positions enough. Still, on another day, he'd have scored at least once.
-> Barrett. Immense. Didn't put a foot wrong and the time where he tackled the Wrexham guy, got up and tackled the second one, and then turned his man in the corner and cleared was amazing defending.
-> Jupp, I feel does have the pace but so many balls in to him were overhit or forced him too wide. Hunt's technically better, though, and should be better at crossing.
-> I thought apart from the second goal, Che played well throughout although the number of crossing opportunities Edwards got was worrying. Perhaps no-one gave him a shout for the second goal. If in doubt though....
-> We only seemed to have any real impetus after the goal which was a shame.
-> Bentley was fantastic yesterday. So professional and hard-working from start to finish. Absolutley nailed that free-kick and a shame man of the moment Gower wasn't reacting more quickly to tap in the fumble.
-> Pettefer worked hard and this is a great part of his game. He's been an essential part of the team and definitely helps. However, he offered so little going forwards and you have to wonder if trying hard is enough.

All in all, though, a good day out, a good account of ourselves but I feel we just needed a bit more luck at times.

Back