• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
BLUES SUCCUMB TO HOWARDS WAY

It was another point-less afternoon for Southend at the Hall as Derby went clear at the top of the Championship after doing the double over the bottom side.

The main difference between the teams was Rams front man and ex-Luton striker Steve Howard. He did the damage for Luton in a televised FA Cup tie two seasons ago at the Hall and notched the winning goal today.

But Southend started the brighter, with Gower getting the ball in the net after literally 20 seconds or so, but it was ruled out for offside.

Derby were sharper to the ball than their hosts though and in truth contained Southend easily.

After 5 minutes Teale should have opened the scoring for the visitors. Barrett was caught upfield out of position, and in trying to cover Clarke and Hammell got in each others way. This left Derby with a 2 v 1 situation and Howard squared the ball for Teale who was 20 yards out with only Flahavan to beat, but Darryl was equal to the ex-Wigan mans effort.

Eastwood had Southend's only effort on target in the first half after 12 minutes and then the game entered a fairly dull phase with chances for either side at a premium.

Gower shot over having been played through by McCormack and then shot wide after a mazy run from JCR took him across the goal past several Derby defenders. The diminuitive winger failed to find a shooting opportunity and the ball broke to Gower whose curling shot went wide.

Howard was a handful throughout for Derby and sandwiched between Gowers two efforts had hit a 25 yard thunderbolt against the post.

So it seemed only a matter of time before Derby scored and after 33 minutes a Teale corner was not attacked by any Southend defenders and Howard stooped to head home unchallenged from 6 yards out. It was poor defending from the set piece and yet again Southend paid the price.

Derby were unlucky not to have increased their lead by the break as Fagan prodded the ball fractionally wide and in first half injury time Darren Moore was inches away from making it 2-0.

There were too many Blues players not at the races in the first half with only Hammell, JCR and McCormack to come out with much credit.

In the second half Derby started the quicker and again seemed to contain us with ease. But Alan McCormack started to run the midfield show and the rest of the team slowly started to respond. It seemed as though Barrett, who had marked Howard for the first half (not very well either) and Clarke had swopped roles and Clarke did a much better job on the target man.

Southend began to chase the game in what was now an exciting, end to end encounter with an equaliser looking likely. The visitors continually struggled with McCormacks bursting runs from midfield and surely enough the chances began to come. McCormack himself had a long range effort which Bywater saved comfortably and JCR pinged one over the bar before Southends best chance came and went. A superb Hammell corner caused havoc in the defence and Gowers effort was only parried out to Clarke whose effort went wide from only 5 yards out. At that point there was a feeling that it was not going to be Southends day.

Undeterred however, Blues continued to press forward and Derby resorted to dirty tactics in order to cope. Eastwood had two free kicks that nearly produced a goal, one that went narrowly wide and one that the keeper saved. But inevitably as Blues pushed up they left gaps at the back and Derby had 2 or 3 gilt edged chances on counter attacks, one that Flahavan saved when Pearson had raced clear and was only 12 yards out and the others were squandered by the visitors who failed to make the most of what came their way.

With 15 minutes of normal time left, another superb Hammell corner was headed goalwards by Barrett but the ball hit a combination of post, keeper and defender and amid cries for handball the danger was cleared.

Hooper and Harrold came on for Gower and Bradbury respectively but neither player really made an impact on the game and Derby played out the remainder of the match without major incident.

So, another home defeat and the chance to get off the bottom was lost. But did we really expect to get points off the team at the top? I didn't - but am still confident that we will survive. Our fixtures in February and March will be crucial - especially the visits of Leeds, Barnsley, Luton, QPR and Palace to the Hall.

Judging by the second half performance today there isn't a lot wrong here. We just need a little bit of luck to go our way.

Ratings -

Flahavan - 7 - kept us in it with 2 saves in one-on-one situations but to be fair both finishes were poor. Kicking not up to expected standard.

Hunt - 6 - Anonymous first half, slightly better second. Any Derby fan won't have seen much to make them regret getting rid of him.
Hammell - 7 - Some excellent delivery in windy conditions but the defensive side of his game was tested and he struggled to cope with Teale's pace
Barrett - 6 - No match for Howard I'm afraid. Better second half but Clarke was marking Howard then.
Clarke - 7 - Shaky start but got better. Missed open goal to show why he is a defender. Would have liked to have seen Sodje come on for either Clarke or Barrett (probably Barrett) as we badly needed height at the back.

Gower - 6 - Always wants the ball but given little chance to shine by Derby. I'm seen him play much better.
Maher - 4 - I'm sorry but this was an uninspiring performance and Captain Kev's distribution and delivery was nothing short of woeful.
McCormack - 8.5 - MOM - Was everywhere. Really inprired people on with a monster performance. Unfortunately booked which seems more usual than not
Campbell-Ryce - 8 - Again, a monster performamce and is starting to show his real potential

Eastwood - 6.5 - Tried hard but given no space at all by Derby defence. Best efforts came from set pieces. Needs a goal
Bradbury - 5 - I'm a big fan of his but apart from one fantastic piece of play in the second half he was totally ineffective

Subs - Hooper - 6 and Harrold - 6. Didn't make much impact when they came on

The Ref - Mr Williamson - 7 - It is a fact that most fans will criticise the refs when they give decisions that go against their team. Well, apart from being perhaps a bit lenient with the cards and also one or two decisions in the second half that I feel were incorrect then I have to say I didn't think he did much wrong. In particular he let the game flow.

Last edited:
As always FBM another good and fair account. I wouldnt have given Maher that kind of rating though. Its just that we he doesnt play well he gets highlighted more for critisism. For what its worth i though Gower was woeful today summed up when he got into the box and just lamely tried to roll it in when it needed a good drive. 5.5 for both would have been more accurate.

No idea why you gave Maher a 4. I thought he was great in the 2nd half. No-one did anything ni the first half, but the 2nd was a completely different story.

We definitely battered them in the 2nd, but were unable to take the chances we had. Another few more halfs like that and we'll soon close this gap.

I think we'll be fine.

No idea why you gave Maher a 4. I thought he was great in the 2nd half. No-one did anything ni the first half, but the 2nd was a completely different story.

We definitely battered them in the 2nd, but were unable to take the chances we had. Another few more halfs like that and we'll soon close this gap.

I think we'll be fine.

Personally I thought Maher was very, very poor. He gave possession away far too cheaply, his free kicks were absolutely atrocious and moves seemed to break down when he became involved.

I found his whole contribution frustrating and can't remember one decent pass he made, although he did make a few decent challenges in the second half.

That was as poor a performance as I've seen from him in the time he's been here.

Spot on about Maher.

A tad generous to the referee who continually missed Moore holding our players at corners / free kicks. Although you rarely see penalties given for such things, he should have had a word with their player. The linesman was also guilty of ignoring this despite having an even better view.

Definitely the most physical team we've played so far this season and I felt that the referee should have provided more protection for the likes of JCR.

Clarke 7!?

He was woeful first half, made some huge errors that led to clear cut chances and looked the same player he was at the beginning of the season.

Barrett played far better than he did yesterday.

This sums it up "Barrett was caught upfield out of position, and in trying to cover Clarke and Hammell got in each others way.".

Ok Barrett may have been pushing up like he does, but you have blamed him for the Keystone cops moment played out by Clarke and Hammell. Whatever AB was doing Clarke should have done far better then.

Last edited:
Personally I thought Maher was very, very poor. He gave possession away far too cheaply, his free kicks were absolutely atrocious and moves seemed to break down when he became involved.

I found his whole contribution frustrating and can't remember one decent pass he made, although he did make a few decent challenges in the second half.QUOTE]

I can't agree with that assessment. Whilst it wasn't one of Maher's best performances of teh season, I don't think he did an awful lot wrong, and in my mind, I can't even remember him taking any free-kicks.

I think a lot of the time with Maher, people expect him to ping stunning balls up to the front men, when in reality, there is very little, if any, movement from the strikers.

All in all, I thought it was a good second half performance - just a shame we couldn't drag ourselves off bottom spot.

And finally, is it just a coincidnece that the two most physical, and cynical teams are at the top of the table, and should we, like HKB suggested a few weeks ago adopt this style?

With 15 minutes of normal time left, another superb Hammell corner was headed goalwards by Barrett but the ball hit a combination of post, keeper and defender and amidst cries for handball the danger was cleared.

That was actually Clarke who had that header off the line. Still don't quite know what it hit!

And finally, is it just a coincidnece that the two most physical, and cynical teams are at the top of the table

Couldnt agree more. Apart from Maca and maybe Barrett we dont seem to have the players to uot muscle the opposiiton. Having said that Derby were extremely well organised and look very hard to beat. A 1-0 defeat isnt the end of the world. Once we get the Birmningham game out of the way we need another 6 or 7 game unbeaten run and we just might be able to stay up.

I can't agree with that assessment. Whilst it wasn't one of Maher's best performances of teh season, I don't think he did an awful lot wrong, and in my mind, I can't even remember him taking any free-kicks.[/unquote]

Maher took 4 free kicks from dangerous positions out wide on the left. Each one, with a decent delivery, would have posed a threat but Maher chipped each one up with no real pace. The first one ended up in the North bank without anyone touching it, and the 3 in the second half were all gratefully caught by the keeper.

His short passing game was well off and he repeatedly gifted the ball to the opposition.

I will be the first to acknowledge Mahers contribution but yesterday he was poor.

Jam Man -

Clarke had a shaky first 15 minutes but handled Howard far better than Barrett did. He could have scored a couple with a bit of luck too.

I can't agree with that assessment. Whilst it wasn't one of Maher's best performances of teh season, I don't think he did an awful lot wrong, and in my mind, I can't even remember him taking any free-kicks.[/unquote]

Maher took 4 free kicks from dangerous positions out wide on the left. Each one, with a decent delivery, would have posed a threat but Maher chipped each one up with no real pace. The first one ended up in the North bank without anyone touching it, and the 3 in the second half were all gratefully caught by the keeper.

His short passing game was well off and he repeatedly gifted the ball to the opposition.

This is precisely my problem with the MIG (Maher is God) crew. They spend most of the games with their eyes shut occasionally opening them when their mates shout "well done Kev". To not have noticed Captain Crab's free kicks you had to have been at another game. fbm's descriptions of them are spot on and in games where we get few enough goal chances to waste as it is, to chuck 4 aimless balls straight at the keeper (or out of play) is nothing short of appalling. And the rest of his game wasn't much better yesterday IMO.

I find it interesting that in all the years that MIG has been our stand out best player no one decent has ever come after him. Don't quote loyalty because as we know it doesn't exist in football. If he's been so good this season why aren't we talking about clubs chasing Kev for his signature. He's not too old as, according to the Championship this morning, Leeds starting 11 had an average age of 31.5! :confused:

This is precisely my problem with the MIG (Maher is God) crew. They spend most of the games with their eyes shut occasionally opening them when their mates shout "well done Kev". To not have noticed Captain Crab's free kicks you had to have been at another game. fbm's descriptions of them are spot on and in games where we get few enough goal chances to waste as it is, to chuck 4 aimless balls straight at the keeper (or out of play) is nothing short of appalling. And the rest of his game wasn't much better yesterday IMO.

I find it interesting that in all the years that MIG has been our stand out best player no one decent has ever come after him. Don't quote loyalty because as we know it doesn't exist in football. If he's been so good this season why aren't we talking about clubs chasing Kev for his signature. He's not too old as, according to the Championship this morning, Leeds starting 11 had an average age of 31.5! :confused:

I may be wrong, but I though that there have been a string of clubs interested in Maher over the years.

I entirely understand that Maher is attrocious at free kicks, and has fortunately taken a step back to allow people like Hammel and Gower to take them - this is why I thought the poor free kicks should be credited to someody else. Obviously I as wrong.

I think that far from MIG being this club's fans' viewpoint, its generally, "Maher you're Sh ite" or "f&ck off Maher". Maher, when on form, is one of the best players that I have seen at this club, and his LOYALTY (you are wrong, loyalty does exist in football, albeit very rarely and we are lucky enough to have a prime example of it as our captain) only adds to his value to this club.

I may be wrong, but I though that there have been a string of clubs interested in Maher over the years.

Entirely possible, but can't be proved either way, which is why I used the word "decent". I'm sorry I don't class being enquired about by Orient as being a loyalty issue! :D

In all seriousness, if a decent team offering good money had come in over the years Cpt Crab has been with us, do you seriously believe he'd not been off like a shot. Of course he would & I'd not blame him at all.

It's a bit like the Darryl "loyalty" issue. Many people on here felt like he'd been badly done to by the club letting a loyal servant go but it turns out even he agreed Wignall was right due to the way he behaved at the time. Always 2 sides to every story.

My argument is still the same. If MIG is so good, why not the interest now he's "doing it" in the Championship. :rolleyes:

As usual, Maher continues to split opinions amongst the southend fans. He always has done and IMO always will.

Personally i thought he was shocking yesterday and i thought FBM's 4/10 mark was fully justified.

As usual, Maher continues to split opinions amongst the southend fans. He always has done and IMO always will.

Personally i thought he was shocking yesterday and i thought FBM's 4/10 mark was fully justified.

agree with you there!

I don't think people appreciate Maher enough, he is fantastic and constantly breaks down opponents attacks, yes he did have a poor game yesterday but 4 is very harsh, if it was McCormack who played exactly te same way he would have been given a 6. Put Guttridge in for Maher and see how we get on then...

You can't fault Maher's commitment but his decison making with even simple, short passes can be pretty poor and yesterday he did take 4 set pieces that were awful. I don' think there's any excuse for wasting a free kick 25 yards out by just drifting it over for the keeper to have an easy catch.

I have got agree with fbm on this one, personally thought maher was awful in 1st half especially. Don't quote me on this but i believe you could count on one hand how may of his passes found a blue shirt and that is including 2 yard passes.

And before anyone starts on me, i am actually a maher fan but yesterday woeful.

On a different note when will we look right from the midfield? In the 1st half JCR was completely free on numerous occasions but instead we went left down a blind alley.

and Scapegoat Shrimper of the Week goes to .................... Paynter ? no no get with it ................ Clarke ?? oh c,mon that is SOOOO December dahling ................. Tilly ? NAH gawd bless yer Mate but Nah ............................ JCR ?? OH get with IT ............................... Geoff King ?? being silly now ! ..................... Flavs ??? Hmmm well he has let a goal in ! ........ NO NO the winner is ( cos weve gotta have one everytime we dont win )n n .... hold on........... Being presented with the FICKLEFAN trophy Jan 07 is ....... well its his turn it seems ......... Mr Maher . FBM I usually find your reports fair and above board but 4/10 ??? IMHO way off
the mark . Let me substantiate , surely youve got to give a reasonable percentage of the mark out of 10 for effort................. without thinking too hard i can immediately think of 2 senior players in Gower and Freddy who for me made less effort and bottle ( in the tackle and showing for the ball) than our Captain. Sure , it was one of his poorer games but 30 to 40 % worse than the above ..no way. I thought we were very unlucky to lose and take a lot from the performance .

Back