• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
BLUES SILENCE POMPEY CHIMES

Unfortunately yet again I managed to miss the opening part of the match (this time 15 minutes) due to circumstances beyong my control, so cannot comment on anything that happened in that time, including Freddys early opener.

Steve Tilson had started with what he presumably considers to be his strongest available side; Flahavan, Francis and Hammell the full backs, Barrett and Prior in the centre, Cole and JCR as wide midfielders, Maher and Guttridge in the centre with Freddy and Bradbury up front.  However, when I did eventually arrive I was surprised with the apparent ease that Portsmouth seemed to be able to create chances against us.  The fact that they didn't score I think was partly down to Darryl and partly some poor decision making by the Portsmouth attackers, who seemed to want to walk or showboat the ball in (especially Lua-Lua).

But when Southend did get the ball they were pretty tidy with it and kept in on the deck, where they certainly gave as good as they got without ever really unlocking the door to the Pompey defence.

Portsmouth had a goal disallowed for offside after a mad goalmouth scramble and to be honest Francis was lucky to get away with what looked like a handball whilst on the deck (I've certainly seen them given) but the Blues rearguard held firm.

Then, from a late first half corner, Bradbury rose to head the ball in the far corner of the net.  Fitting that he should score against his former club.

Freddy was on fire in the first half and terrified the defence every time he got the ball.  One superb run saw him twist and turn past 2 or 3 defenders but shoot wide.  It wouldn't surprise me if Redknapp made an offer for him based on the first half showing alone.

JCR was another player who looked extremely comfortable against better opposition and certainly must have won some people over with an excellent performance.  

2-0 at half time was slightly flattering and I waited for the Pompey onslaught in the second half which never really materialised. Instead, Southend looked very sharp on the counter attack and posed more problems for their visitors than the other way around.

But the inevitable happened and a fairly bad challenge by Guttridge (which surely would have earned a yellow card in a league match) resulted in a free kick that thudded against the bar, with a Pompey player lashing the rebound past a static Flahavan.

Lewis Hunt made some superb clearances from dangerous crosses but the visitors never really troubled the home defence much more, at least not by creating anything meaningful.  In fact, it was Southend who went closest to extending their lead after some quick thinking by Freddy when he laid the ball back to Bradbury who somehow missed the target from only 3 yards out.

The usual plethora of substitutions were made and in truth the last 20 minutes was fairly meaningless but all in all Blues gave a good account of themselves against higher opposition.  The sheer pace of the Portsmouth players showed up exactly how much we lack in that department however and when they chased and harried us (which wasn't very often, fortunately) we were rather easily rushed into errors.  This is something we will have to counter and all this talk of getting more time on the ball in this league may be a myth.  It may well happen when the ball is in our own half but as soon as we cross the centre line I would imagine the opposition will be all over us like a rash.

Another good pre-season.  Lets hope it bodes well.  I'm personally hoping for an opening day home defeat... well, that's what's happened in the last 2 seasons and look where we ended up!

No ratings again but individual comments on each player follow -

Flahavan - Sound apart from one "dropsy" moment in the first half.  Kept us in the game with some fine saves.

Francis - Good display and looks a real asset.  However, he give sthe impression of being a bit relaxed on occasion and needs more awareness of his opponents position to stop being caught in possession (which happened 2 or 3 times tonight)
Hammell - Fine defensive full back with a cultured left foot but doesn't actually possess a lot of pace, which could be a problem against some of the speedy wingers in this league.
Prior - Much improved from Saturday and was more dominant in the air.
Barrett - A sound performance from him.  Stood up well to a Premiership strike force.

Campbell-Ryce - An excellent and industrious performance.  Worked his socks off and was never afraid to spread the play.  Comfortable and interestingly didn't try to beat the whole team so laid it off a lot more.
Cole - Fairly anonymous and got his customary knock on the ankle which resulted in Gower coming on for him at half time
Maher - Looked much better when he kept the ball on the deck than when he tried to hoik it somewhere, which wasn't often, to be fair.  Linked well with Guttridge.
Guttridge - Spread the play well, broke up some attacks and generally looked the part.  Bossed the midfield at times and made the bigger boys look daft occasionally.

Eastwood - My MOM just for the first half performance.  Unfortunately this game has just highlighted even more how much of a star he is... God help us if he gets injured.
Bradbury - Great in the air, some brilliant lay offs and movement, but again showed his ineptitude in front of goal with his feet.  Would be a good striker solution if he could only shoot straight!  Otherwise a pretty good performance and would no doubt do a good job as a stop gap.

Subs -

Collis - On for last 10 and untroubled

Hunt - On for Barrett and looked great alongside Spinner

Wilson - Replaced Hammell late on and didn't do much either way

Gower - Vastly improved showing from Saturday and I was surprised at how much creativity he showed against this standard of player.

Smith - on for Maher late and didn't get involved much

Lawson - On for JCR and looked a much improved player.  Confident, willing to run at defences, and a good touch.  He surprised me, if I'm honest, and could prove to be a real asset.

Hooper - On for Bradbury (who got a good reception from both sets of fans) but there was no goal tonight.  Held the ball up well on two or three occasions but couldn't get into the game much.  Probably not fair to judge him on 20 mins against this standard but he has to try and cut the mustard.  Difficult to see him making an impact against people like WBA and Leeds in real matches when he couldn't get into this one.

And I've just noticed the OS has the same headline as mine... well, it's a bit obvious I suppose...

I think Hooper did alright. He's not a number 9 though and he's definately not suited to playing alongside Eastwood as they both like to drop deep.

He's worked his arse of for the team though, chasing back into the full-back positions and looking tidy when he had the ball. Personally I'd offer him a two year deal tomorrow.

Agree with the comments on the rest though. Except maybe for Prior who got mugged off by Lua Lua & Todorov on several occasions. He put in a few good tackles but I'm still very concerned that this is one year too far at this level for a great player for this club.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 26 2006,23:45)]I think Hooper did alright. He's not a number 9 though and he's definately not suited to playing alongside Eastwood as they both like to drop deep.

He's worked his arse of for the team though, chasing back into the full-back positions and looking tidy when he had the ball. Personally I'd offer him a two year deal tomorrow.

Agree with the comments on the rest though. Except maybe for Prior who got mugged off by Lua Lua & Todorov on several occasions. He put in a few good tackles but I'm still very concerned that this is one year too far at this level for a great player for this club.
In fairness I think most Championship defenders would struggle against Prem strikers, especially the pace of Lua-Lua.

I thought on Saturday it may be a season too far but as cover for Sodje I'm quite happy with him. Plus, you can't decimate the team all at once.

Today was the second time I've seen Lua Lua live and both times he's looked fantastic.

You know, looking round the team that started tonight and comparing it to the starting lineup against Port Vale, we've made a hell of a lot of changes to the team. It's something that I hadn't really noticed before. It's very impressive how Tilson has evolved the team by taking out and bringing in certain types of players for differnt leagues.

You're right though, there has to be as much continuity in the team as possible and I actually reckon Prior's experienec may be vitally important to us this season, perhaps making up for th number of points his lack of pace might drop.

I was worried every time the ball came near to prior. However he surprised me with his play, more solid then what i thought. Hooper is definatly worth a 1-2 year deal.
Eastwood again proved to be our spark. Maher looked solid and down well with the first goal he set up.
Guttridge looked good until he got the chance to shoot, But overall going to be great this season
JCR looks a great player but sometimes held the ball for a little to long and ended up playing the wrong ball.
Both the wing backs looked alot better then what we had in Wilson and Hunt.
flahaven looked as great as ever making great shot stopping saves from 5 yards 2-3 times tonight.
we look a bit weak at centre back, but one CB brought in would clear that up.
Trying not to jump the gun but it looks like we are going to be able to servive in the CCC + more

I think last night highlighted the need for a pacy central defender. Apart from that was a very good display, thought we cut through them with ease at times. The Maher/Guttridge combination is gonna be key to us doing well I feel, but again we have no competition there, and are crying out for a physical presence who can keep the ball well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpbizkit @ July 27 2006,09:32)]The Maher/Guttridge combination is gonna be key to us doing well I feel, but again we have no competition there, and are crying out for a physical presence who can keep the ball well.
Paul Ince anyone
rock.gif

Al

People forget how far this team come in last 3 & half season. Who can remeber summer 2002 on end of July, we lost 4-1 at home to Spurs X1 (full of Spurs youth player inc. one or two senior player).

Make this win even more sweeter!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpbizkit @ July 27 2006,08:32)]I think last night highlighted the need for a pacy central defender. Apart from that was a very good display, thought we cut through them with ease at times. The Maher/Guttridge combination is gonna be key to us doing well I feel, but again we have no competition there, and are crying out for a physical presence who can keep the ball well.
George O'Callaghan... Come on Tilly, give our midfield a bit of
mad.gif

Its vital that we dont give the ball away near the central line, its set up most of Pompey attack, this game gave an good lesson to the SUFC sqaud. Iam sure Tilson & Brush will be drumming this message down to the players to not give the ball away cheaply like England player do at World Cup!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ July 27 2006,10:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpbizkit @ July 27 2006,08:32)]I think last night highlighted the need for a pacy central defender. Apart from that was a very good display, thought we cut through them with ease at times. The Maher/Guttridge combination is gonna be key to us doing well I feel, but again we have no competition there, and are crying out for a physical presence who can keep the ball well.
mad.gif
Interesting to note that O'Callaghan didn't play for Cork last night against Red Star..

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr Wooly @ July 27 2006,10:14)]
[b said:
[b said:
mad.gif
Interesting to note that O'Callaghan didn't play for Cork last night against Red Star..

rock.gif
I believe he refused to because of a row with the manager from the 1st Leg... this was known from after the 1st leg, so nothing to suspicious.

Cannot remember what the row was about - think it may be due to the fact he wants to leave and Cork are refusing to allow him to talk to us?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr Wooly @ July 27 2006,10:14)]
[b said:
[b said:
mad.gif

rock.gif
Maybe he thinks after we Bermuda we are still in an International Cup and dosent want to be cup tied.
suspect.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ July 26 2006,23:35)]Steve Tilson had started with what he presumably considers to be his strongest available side
Other than, I have to say, Gower winning hands-down his personal battle with Mitchell Cole for a starting berth.

rock.gif

Wouldn't disagree with many, if any of your comments fbm.  I too was a wee bit surprised by Hammell, whose relative lack of pace was mildly unsettling.  Compared to Francis (who is pretty quick) or Lewis Hunt, he seemed a bit sluggish.

Where Hammell does win hands-down over Che is (a) his set pieces - the corner from which Bradbury scored was a peach; and (b) his vision.  It's that latter quality which really sets him apart - there was one delightful moment in the first half where he picked up possession right on the touch-line, looked up, saw Francis in space on the opposite flank and pinged a first-time, inch-perfect pass to him.  Sublime.

Francis looked superb, in my view.  His positioning, pace and awareness are all excellent - and he is every bit as good as Jupp on the overlap.  It's as if he's got all of Lewis Hunt's defensive qualities and all of Juppy's attacking virtues.  He's a real find.  Indeed, if I am to criticise JCR (who, as you said, had a great game last night), it was that Jamal failed to spot that Francis had overlapped him on a number of occasions and was ready to be set free down the wing.  That understanding will surely improve in time.

I'm surprised to see comments that we lacked bite in midfield.  I didn't think we lacked bite at all - the gnasher in question was none other than Luke Guttridge, who got properly stuck in, won loads of possession and got into a golden goal-scoring opportunity on a couple of occasions - he was only a horrible slice away from, surely, putting us 2-0 up.

Maher looked calm and assured and will thrive in the Championship.  He is truly metronomic.

Freddy - well, I'm sure I don't need to add anything, other than the fact that we are going to lose him sooner or later.  Which is sad... but that's what happens when you have someone as special as him at your club.

Centre-backs... are slow, and that gave me a lot of cause for concern.  Efe can't get fit quickly enough, IMHO - I agree with the sentiment that this may be a season too far for Spinner.

So, I reckon our starting XI for Stoke will be:

Flahavan

Francis   Prior    Barrett     Hammell

JCR       Maher   Guttridge   Gower

Eastwood   TBA

I don't know who TBA is going to be, but we'll sign a striker in the next couple of weeks, and they'll go straight in the side, I reckon.  Harsh on Bradders - who had a reasonable game, but other than a crisply taken header from Hammell's corner, didn't really shine; nor did Hooper, whose main problem is going to be that he's a similar sort of player to Freddy, it would seem - but a couple of years further behind in his development (as you would expect of an 18 year old).

Final thought, though: we played some great football last night, on the deck and didn't look at all embarrassed in the second half, which was when Pompey started playing and pressing us (they barely broke sweat in the first half).  I thought Pompey had some very good players - Mornar in partcular was very impressive in terms of his speed and touch for a big bloke - but we went toe-to-toe with them and didn't really buckle (and indeed created one or two chances of our own).  It bodes well for the forthcoming season, I reckon.

biggrin.gif

Back