• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OlvisIII

Coach
A few observations from last night.

1.  Their ground -  very pleasant with no home support whatsoever.  I know it was an LDV game, but it's no wonder they're struggling in the lead with that support.  A bit gutted - I had a cheeseburger, Dreams paid 60p more and got a diamond burger, complete value for money.  Evening started very badly for me.

2.  Support - our support was good, about 300 possibly more.  I don't think we helped the attidtude of the players crying ole every time we touched the ball in the first 20 mins.  A strange atmosphere after the game - noone seemed to care that much that we were out.

3.  Drewe - has learnt to jump without raising his elbows!  Thought he played well and we gave him a good reception.  He got a a great ovation before the game, during the game and then after, where he came and applauded the away fans.  Top man!!  He might as well - there were no home fans to applaud!

4.  Performance - woeful first half.  On a pitch which suited our style, against a team that tried to pass the football, which suits us, against inferior players, we were very poor.  Drewe and O'Grady up front for them caused all sorts of problems.  Spinner was poor, absolutely dreadful for ten minutes in the first half.  Jay looked off the pace and had a distinct lack of movement in the middle of the park.  Jamal wasn't tracking effectively and Wayne Gray couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo!!  They weren't the only poor performers but major culprits.  2nd half picked up, but our quality should have counted against a team 3rd bootom of league 2.

5.  Bart v Daryl - argument ends here (not that I ever saw much of an argument!)  Daryl made 5 world class saves last night.  Anyone who saw them will agree, superb.  He stood no chance with the goal.  A complete contrast to Woodman, who looked shaky all night and will be rubbing his hands with glee after keeping a clean sheet.

6.  Players to benefit last night - Lawson looked good when he came on.  The sitter he apparently missed according to the website, was by no stretch of the imagination a sitter!  He showed good technique and was unucky that the keeper actually held on to something for the first time in the game.  Other players to gain something from the game Eagle, Hunt, Gutts, Goat and Bentlely.  We'll see you all on Saturday then chaps!!

7.  Freddy - I thought he was the better out of the two strikers.  He got in behind them two or three times and needed a player attacking the front post.  SHould have done better with his header, but played ok.  No service whatsoever.

To conclude - a strange old night.  Have many happy memories of the LDV comp, but least there is no chance of a six hour journey back from Cardiff in silence!!  Roll on Saturday - these have been two lacklustre performances, but we don't turn into a bad team over night.  

Keep the faith

The journey back was surprisingly chatty yesterday in my car. I guess we didn't really care that we'd gone out.

Not gonna panic yet, not by a long shot. We've lost two on the trot but we didn't play our strongest side last night so I'm not reading much into it. Looking forward to the Barnsley game on Saturday - they lost to Donny 5-2 at home!

Disappointing result but not overly fussed as League is crucial.......but all in all, only cost me a fiver to get in and the Diamond Burger, yummy yummy yummy!!

Did Eastwood or Campbell-Ryce do enough to get a start on Saturday? I hope last nights defeat didn't affect their chances to much as we are a better side with them in the team.

I loved the diamond burger. Did me proud after a two hour car journey. (left the AA route planner at home and can't read a map to save my life!)

Freddie was one of the better players on the pitch but wasn't hard. JCR just tried too hard IMHO. He was roaming everywhere to try and make things hapen and in the end it lost our structure because Jupp was playign right winger in the end because JCR was out towards the left or middle.

And glad to see Gower back. Looked very rusty but I am sure a few more matches and he will get better.

Freddy has to start, he wouldve buried at least 2 of those easy chances Gray had. I love Wayne but you get the feeling for every one he puts away he'll miss 3 or 4 good chances. Id also give Lawson a go on either wing. JCR was poor, didnt look brave enough to take on his man and his crossing wasnt good enough. As Ive said in another thread Jay Smith should be sent out on loan. Good to see Gower back as well so soon. Good to ride on the new coach as well, even if it did make us pretty conspicuous to the chavvy rushden fans.

Started off brightly enough and Gray should have burried his chance early on. There number 19 - striker - looked very useful as did their small left winger (number 23) but we should have come away from that game with a win. We dominated 2nd half and i hardly remember them shooting in the 2nd period.

Even i can praise Darryl after last night's performance. Was superb and the only player to leave the game with any real credit really ... !!

Some super stops from Darryl - he's been bang in form this season. Keep it up Mr. Flahavan!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Oct. 19 2005,11:12)]Started off brightly enough and Gray should have burried his chance early on. There number 19 - striker - looked very useful as did their small left winger (number 23) but we should have come away from that game with a win. We dominated 2nd half and i hardly remember them shooting in the 2nd period.

Even i can praise Darryl after last night's performance. Was superb and the only player to leave the game with any real credit really ... !!
Nice to see part-timers like yourself could go
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Oct. 19 2005,11:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Oct. 19 2005,11:12)]Started off brightly enough and Gray should have burried his chance early on. There number 19 - striker - looked very useful as did their small left winger (number 23) but we should have come away from that game with a win. We dominated 2nd half and i hardly remember them shooting in the 2nd period.

Nice to see part-timers like yourself could go
tounge.gif
3rd away game of the season. Mr Loyalty me.
wink.gif

Last night was actually the first time my car has lost at 4 sided grounds before (Oxford only has 3 stands!) but it hasn't had a bad little run. Might sell the shat heap now ...

suspect.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dreams @ Oct. 19 2005,10:47)]Disappointing result but not overly fussed as League is crucial.......but all in all, only cost me a fiver to get in and the Diamond Burger, yummy yummy yummy!!
Yeahh - rub it in bro!! I didn't even get any onions in my cheese burger!!

I didn't go last night but I have fond memories of the Diamond Burger from my visit in the 01/02 season. Our caterers have much to learn, this burger was warm, and cooked all the way through as well.

Delighted we're out to be honest, the LDV nearly wrecked our season last year and (possibly) cost us the title although I wouldn't swap the play-off final for anything
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Two good things to come out of last night:

(a) no extra-time - I was praying for no equaliser from 9.30pm onwards watching Gillette Soccer Special

(b) losing to a weak L2 side when we had a pretty strong line-up out there will give the side a kick up the @rse and stop them from thinking promotion (or even top 6) is a foregone conclusion this season.

Bring on Barnsley!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Oct. 19 2005,12:50)]Delighted we're out to be honest, the LDV nearly wrecked our season last year and (possibly) cost us the title although I wouldn't swap the play-off final for anything
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
So, therefore the LDV is a brilliant competition to be involved in, as thanks to that we ended up in the Play-Off final?

rock.gif

So if LDV Final = Play-Off victory, does that mean we are now destined for mid-table obscurity after all this season???

rock.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Oct. 19 2005,12:50)]Delighted we're out to be honest, the LDV nearly wrecked our season last year and (possibly) cost us the title although I wouldn't swap the play-off final for anything
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Two good things to come out of last night:

(a) no extra-time - I was praying for no equaliser from 9.30pm onwards watching Gillette Soccer Special

(b) losing to a weak L2 side when we had a pretty strong line-up out there will give the side a kick up the @rse and stop them from thinking promotion (or even top 6) is a foregone conclusion this season.

Bring on Barnsley!!
1. Defeat in the LDV might have cost us the title, but the confidence gained whilst we were winning in the LDV has certainly helped us last couple of seasons.

1st LDV run
* Vital first win post-Wignall was in the LDV, at a time when confidence was zero
* 3-0 v Luton gave us confidence, and we managed to win the very next game with 8 men at Swansea
* On a high after beating Col Ewe 3-2, we won a 6 pointer v Kiddie 3-0 to go level on points with them.

2nd LDV run
* After beating Shrewsbury 4-1, we thrashed Oxford 4-0 in the league (biggest win of promotion season)
* Hadn't won in 3 before Nothampton, after winning that we picked up 10 points from next 4 games
* before Swindon hadn't won in 3 games, we won 2-0 and ended up going a club record 17 games unbeaten

2. Defeat to a poor Doncaster side should have been sufficient to give the players a kick up the backside (if necessary)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Oct. 19 2005,14:21)]be fair though, last night we fielded players who were either coming back from injury, hadn't played recently, or who had made 5 /10 minute cameos
Yeah like Flavs, Barrett, Cheese, Maher & Gray!

Back