• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 14 2006,11:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Sep. 14 2006,11:30)]It was only in the second year that one of her friends told me what had happened. That she'd wanted me to tell her to leave her boyfriend that day. That she felt the same things to me as I felt to her, but was scared that I was just going to add her to my list and then move on.

I'd have given that woman the drunkest years of my life.
*watches stomach fall through the floor*

You have all the best stories, SD.  Once again, the cap is doffed.

cool.gif
Blimey.... Which university was this?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Sep. 14 2006,11:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ Sep. 14 2006,11:50)]
cool.gif
Of course the legendary Slipperduke has the best stories . Checkout his e-mail address , it's barbara.cartland@whopperstories.com    
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Damn, you found me! Is it you who keeps emailing me first drafts of something called, "My Alsatian Love"?

wink.gif
[/QUOTE]
First draft or "Ruff" copy ?

biggrin.gif
devil.gif

SD's story has reminded me of a "what might have been" - but only in terms of a one-nighter, rather than a long-term relationship.

OK, folks.  Check in your disbelief at the door.  Settle down with a good mug of improbability because... believe it or not, I was in a rock'n'roll band at uni.  Hard though it is to imagine that the bookish, toff lawyer you all know and love was ever imbued with mojo, I used to strut my stuff for a few years at college.

In my role of "jack of all trades" (and consequently master of none), I've always been relatively musical, but never possessed of the sort of genius required to write my own music.  But I can sing.  And I can sing other people's music... tolerably well, as it happens.  So it was that a few friends and I formed a covers band - largely as a laugh, but also perhaps in vague recognition that it was the only way we were ever likely to pull (yes, I really am that bad at pulling).  Besides, it was actually quite fun getting up on stage and belting out a few Commitments / Chuck Berry / Oasis numbers to reasonably-sized crowds of p*ssed students... our biggest gig was to 350 students at a Christmas party, and they loved it.

Of course, it should be noted that whilst I was the lead singer of this band - the studently-monikered Missing in Acton (which some Asian hip-hop lass recently nicked off us - the outrage!) - my performance in the pulling stakes wasn't exactly Jagger-esque.

However, much to my surprise, I discovered over the course of the next couple of years that being in a band really does work as an aphrodisiac.  I pulled two birds as a direct result of my various singing exploits, reaching second base with one and third base with the other (ah, but sadly no home run... never mind).

And though it may seem even more unfeasible, it turns out that I had a fan-club... consisting of four girls in the year below me.  Of the four, one was a great laugh but just not my type, one I wouldn't have touched with Napster's, one was OK but a bit dippy, and one - Claire - was really quite fit.  Naturally, having a fan club meant that I wanted to show them that I cared, that I wanted to be a "hands on" type of idol.  Literally.  So I decided to snog the dippy one, but on the basis that she was a really bad snog (hard to describe, but I'm sure we've all been there), I decided not to pursue matters.

And then there was Claire.  Definitely not a bad snog, no sir-ee.  A mouth like a vacuum cleaner, and breasts like warm alabaster... I'd never felt such a firm pair of thrups.  I was transfixed.  So naturally, I was interested in taking things further with Claire.  And therein lay the "what might have been".

Claire, as might be expected, was never short of a boyfriend or two.  Her taste in men was random... a good looking Asian guy, then a very boyish Bristolian spring to mind.  And then me.  Almost.  But not quite.

I suppose it went wrong at a house party - my fan club all happened to live in a house together.  I turned up late (as usual).  Everyone in the house was drunk (as usual).  And Claire greeted me with gusto.  In her pyjamas.  Not usual.  Not usual at all.  This is promising.

So, I head into the living room - say hello, have a few drinks, have a few nibbles.  Just as I'm beginning to plan my night's manoeuvres, I become aware of who else is in the room.  Her boyish ex.  His hair-trigger tempered best mate.  Another ex.  A weird bloke who's been following her around like a puppy for months.

This is not promising.  Not at all.  I'm no fan of confrontation, and right now, we've got a potential powder-keg of recently post-teen hormones, spiced up by a liberal dose of Stella Artois, and most of it connected somehow to Claire.

So despite the fact that, an hour or so later, I found myself alone in the kitchen with Claire, engaged in some serious facial vacuuming and manual alabaster inspection, it just didn't feel right.  I felt like I was about to get involved in a fist fight - or at the very least a jolly uncomfortable situation.

So, when she whispered in my ear, "I want you to stay with me tonight, come up to my room"...

...I said "No".

And that was that.  I headed home alone, chain-smoking furiously, and wondering why on earth I'd done that.

The post-script is that there's no post-script.  We pretended to go out for a week, and then on Valentine's (when I had a plan to lure her to my bedsit with poetry and wine), she got her mate (the dippy one) to phone me and dump me.

So, I guess if any of them have been the one that got away... it's her.

blush.gif

But hey, it all turned out fine in the end... turns out I was saving myself for Mrs Right after all!!

biggrin.gif

Only one got away at uni - Adrienne from Noo Yoik, an Italian-American.

We had some fun, but she had to go back to the States. There's more, much more, but I won't go into details here.

kungfu.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 14 2006,12:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 14 2006,12:56)]There's more, much more, but I won't go into details here.
That's not fair!  Come on, confess all!!

upside.gif
Don't cave in, Naps!
upside.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonny_Stokes @ Sep. 14 2006,12:59)]
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 14 2006,12:56)]There's more, much more, but I won't go into details here.

upside.gif
Don't cave in, Naps!  
upside.gif
I'm not going to. It's more of a Barbara Cartland saga than anything, and it still gripes me to see a street magician or someone with a Irish accent pretending to be cool

mad.gif

[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

upside.gif
Don't cave in, Naps!  
upside.gif
Napster just likes to know something we dont.

Seems pointless saying you have had an experience and then not sharing it.

suspect.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Sep. 14 2006,13:03)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

upside.gif
Don't cave in, Naps!  
upside.gif

suspect.gif
What if the point was to irritate you by not saying anything?

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonny_Stokes @ Sep. 14 2006,13:05)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

upside.gif
Don't cave in, Naps!  
upside.gif

suspect.gif

laugh.gif
Then you have won !!!!

But thast not the point of the pub is it???

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Sep. 14 2006,13:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonny_Stokes @ Sep. 14 2006,13:05)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

upside.gif
Don't cave in, Naps!  
upside.gif

suspect.gif

laugh.gif
Then you have won !!!!

But thast not the point of the pub is it???
Good point. Best wait 'til I'm drunk, then. That, or help facilitate this occurrence.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 14 2006,13:03)]it still gripes me to see a street magician or someone with a Irish accent pretending to be cool
You do realise that's a complete non-sequitur to everyone but you...

upside.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 14 2006,13:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 14 2006,13:03)]it still gripes me to see a street magician or someone with a Irish accent pretending to be cool

upside.gif
Absolutely.

Oh, OK. I'll work on it this afternoon

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 14 2006,13:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 14 2006,13:20)]
[b said:

upside.gif
Absolutely.

Oh, OK. I'll work on it this afternoon

smile.gif
Oh sh!thouse - you splitter!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 14 2006,12:48)]But I can sing.  And I can sing other people's music... tolerably well, as it happens.
You realise that you've just parked yourself in pole position for the next Kareoke Night at The Spread, don't you!

Ok, well, here goes...

BTW, no loss, I'm happy at the moment...

Picture the scene, my first week at university. I had been granted a flat in West Nicholson Street, opposite three pubs – one, called Maxims, was a pretentious affair, charging £2.40 a pint (this was back in 1994), one was the Blind Poet, a dark, dingy pub, and the other, the Pear Tree, which was at the time, the only pub with a beer garden in the whole of Edinburgh, but was populated entirely by Goths. At the rear of the block of flats, was a building site for a Mosque, and our launderette.

Anyway, I won’t digress to discuss my flatmates (one for a different thread), but at the end of the first week, Fresher’s Week, where many friendships were gained and lost and lots drunk, the other people in the building started introducing themselves. The flat above us had a bunch of engineering students (never saw them) and the one below, three American girls.

Now, one night, bearing in mind we didn’t have a telly for the entire first year, me and my flatmate Wa (who I ended up lodging with over the next 4 years), talked a lot in various pubs in the city and this night we talked long into the night about life, women and so on. I described my ideal woman.

She would be American, possibly a little bit Italian, from New York, brunette, played jazz piano, liked the same music as me (at the time, the Stones, Hendrix and a bit of jazz) and would be funny, and have large thrups.

So, this American girl knocks on our door- they’re having a housewarming and we’re all invited. Me and Wa knock up fashionably early with some cheap vino and we chat to the American girls, not knowing who had moved in downstairs, who was who and so on.

As the night progressed, I was introduced to the flatmates, one was a stuck-up, Preppie, farmer’s daughter, one was a toothy, sorority member who I wouldn’t have touched with Dave the Shrimper’s. The other was Adrienne.

We talked, and remembering the list I had discussed with Wa previously, I was asking her some leading questions. Guess what, she was from Staten Island, she was here for a year, she was a second-generation Italian immigrant, brunette, played level 7 piano, and loved Hendrix. And she was funny, intelligent and everything else.

My God. I still remember how I felt 12 years ago. I made it my aim in life to pursue her, despite her long-standing boyfriend in NY, and despite the fact she was 2-3 years older than me.

The next morning, I posted a Hendrix poster through her door. I got a note thanking me and from then on, we pretty much talked every other day, or emailed each other. (No mobiles in those days!). I sent her poems, we talked about everything and nothing, (except Southend, she never really did get soccer).

One night, several weeks later, we went to the Living Room (a club in Edinburgh) and watched a band. On the way back, she told me she was wearing strawberry lipstick, well, I couldn’t resist, we kissed outside the Festival Hall down South Clerk Street.

Well, bend me sideways and call me Roger. I was infatuated. For her it was a kiss, for Americans, dating is different, you can date as many people as you like, without going steady. I knew she wasn’t seeing anyone else. But things progressed slowly. We went to places together, but she was still serious about her boyfriend back home, so I didn’t want to go headlong into it.

That is, until I went to Birmingham for a weekend and everything changed…

I went to see my best mate who was at Aston Uni. A weekend of Indian housepartys, student clubs, and having a beer with Mervyn Cawston’s son. A Friday night spent chatting up various floozies, and yes, I grabbed hold of one of them, Ellie.

The next morning, I had a strange mixture of regret and victory. Should I say anything about it to Adrienne? Hmmm. I still remember lying there listening to Soul Asylum’s Runaway Train thinking about things.

I went back to uni, and emailed Adrienne what I had got up to. She was insanely jealous. I honestly didn’t see that coming (naïve me). We talked about stuff on the periphery for a while, then I invited her over for dinner one night.

I was preparing dinner and drinking cheap wine – and one bottle later, she arrived and we ate, and had another bottle. She was a bit upset because she had split up with her boyfriend in the US. We went to the Blind Poet and had more wine, beer and uisge beatha. By now, I was hammered.

So, she invites me in to keep her company for the night. She says that she was jealous of me in Birmingham and wants me to herself. Result! Except I was tired, and just wanted sleep.

I slipped into her bed, and she went to get a drink. I fell asleep. She woke me up and asked me to go back upstairs…

I felt like crap. My ideal opportunity and I was a lightweight. The next few weeks, we still talked but there wasn’t anything there anymore. I went to the Highlands for a week for a class trip, she sent me a card asking me to “stay dry”. We were friends now, I suppose more than anything.

But the guys that were after her now! One was a Oxbridge-reject street magician with all the charm of a dead pigeon, the other a faux-Irish chancer. I hated both of them with a passion – if I couldn’t have her, they shouldn’t.

This went on to the end of the third term when she went back to the States. She sent me cards for a bit, but it fizzled out. I’ve since found out she’s married.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004....ei=5070

I’m happy for her, I hope she’s happy for me. She didn’t really get away, we had a great time together, and we both learned a lot from each other.

C’est la vie. I’ve found Ms Right anyway.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Sep. 14 2006,14:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 14 2006,12:48)]But I can sing.  And I can sing other people's music... tolerably well, as it happens.
You realise that you've just parked yourself in pole position for the next Kareoke Night at The Spread, don't you!
After a couple of beers, you won't get me off the damn thing!

laugh.gif

Back