• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The_Showstoppa15

Well to be honest I really wasn't expecting too much today so the result wasn't a surprise.  

Well where to start?  I saw this as a game of two halves.  I thought we were shocking in the first half and the only two players to go in at half time deserving any credit where, in my opinion, Mark Bentley and Mitch Cole.  For the two goals, Barrett and Prior seemed to go AWOL and the lad who scored appeared to be unmarked.  Guttridge, for me, was doing nothing on the right.  Every time Bentley went up to support the front two, Guttridge drifted inside too far so that there was no real threat from us on the right.  Wilson and Prior just seemed to hoof the ball upfield whenever they gained possession, and there was no service to Eastwood and Gray, who should have been dropping deep to search for the ball.  All in all, a first half of panic,  too many headless chicken play and not enough keeping the ball on the deck.

The second half started off better.  Blues had a lot more possession and were in control for long periods.  The ball was kept down and some nice passing moves were strung together, creating more chances with Eastwood, Bentley and Maher going close.  However, still nothing went down the right, until the introduction of Gower.  This was a turning point for me.  He ran well with the ball, passed well and cut inside when needed, and he played a pivotal role in the build up to Gray's goal.  With Cole beginning to look tired,  Peanut Lawson was brought on and looked lively. Could have nicked a point at the end if Gray and Bentley hadn't missed two sitters!

So a loss in the first game....not unexpected for me.  The first half is best forgotten about, but the second half brought many positives.  In addition, let's hope Spinner isn't out for too long!

RATINGS:

Flahavan    7     Made two impressive fingertip saves to keep
Vale at bay and made a good punch when coming for a cross in the first half.  Had no chance with the goals.

Jupp   7   Looked good going forward and, apart from a few times when he got caught slow on the turn, was solid defensively.

Wilson   6   Not the best game for the Cheese.  Too eager to hoof the ball out of defence, which led to Vale regaining possession straight away.  Too many stray passes and missed tackles.

Prior   7   Solid, especially when the ball came over the top.  Seemed to go walkabout for both goals, leaving the Vale goalscorer free and needs to keep the ball on the deck more when playing it out.

Barrett  7  Ditto.  Dealt well in the air with Paynter, got in some good tackles and seemed solid.  Same as Prior for the two goals.

Maher  7   Good game for him.  Kept the ball grounded, played some quality chips down the left and slowed play down in the first half when everyone else seemed to be playing panic-football.  Should pass the ball back a little less.

Bentley  8  Quality in the first half.  Nice, calm passing, powerful on the ball and tough in the tackle.  Solid in the second half but missed a sitter at the end.  Typical that he should get the first booking of the season.

Guttridge  6  Showed glimpses of quality with through balls and good control.  Drifted in far too much and posed no real threat on the right flank.  Got dis-possessed a bit too much.

Gray  8  MOM.  Never stopped working.  Harrowed the Vale centre backs with his speed, held the ball up and layed it off well and scored a fantastic goal.  Just rewards for his effort. Would have got a 9 if he'd put away the sitter at the end!

Eastwood  6  Nothing came off today and he didn't seem with it.  Dis-possessed far too much, took too long on the ball and had an off-day with the shooting.  Hopefully not prepared for the type of oppurtunities he got in front of goal last season.  He'll need to put some more effort in as a lot is expected of him.

Cole  7  Would have been an 8 if his crossing was more consistent.  Terrorised the Vale right-back with pace, skill and sheer cheekiness.  When he put in a good cross, it caused trouble, but he needs to deliver a good final ball a tad more often.

SUBS

Gower  8  Changed the game when he came on for Guttridge.  Knew the right times to drift inside, took people on, passed well and put in a few good crosses.  Played big role in build-up to goal.

Hunt  6  Didn't have much to do when he came on for the injured Prior as we were in control at that point.  Looked solid on the rare occasion that Vale came forward in the final 20 minutes.

Lawson  6   Didn't have much time to shine when he came on for a tired looking Cole, but showed some quality touches and looked good on the ball.  Should be able to make the step-up to first-team football.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The_Showstoppa15 @ Aug. 06 2005,18:03)]Gray  8  MOM.  Never stopped working.  Harrowed the Vale centre backs with his speed, held the ball up and layed it off well and scored a fantastic goal.  Just rewards for his effort.  Would have got a 9 if he'd put away the sitter at the end!
rock.gif

I must have been at a different game.

Spot on report, can you do it every week, seem a good judge. Guttridge for me adds nothing, poor mans Maher and was not happy about being taken off. Badly need a playmaker like Smith back in midfield alongside Kev the crab!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Aug. 06 2005,18:22)]Spot on report, can you do it every week, seem a good judge. Guttridge for me adds nothing, poor mans Maher and was not happy about being taken off. Badly need a playmaker like Smith back in midfield alongside Kev the crab!
Something we agree on
rock.gif

The Gutteridge bit of course...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Aug. 06 2005,18:21)]same here - he was $%&*e, did nothing apart from score. When's 35 year old Goater available? Gray could learn off him.......
He chews gum well for 90 minutes...

Not a great Gray fan but thought he played well, it was Freddy and his appaling first touch that needs singleing out but then again he can do no wrong!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The_Showstoppa15 @ Aug. 06 2005,18:03)]Flahavan 7 Made two impressive fingertip saves to keep
Vale at bay
Errm - dont seem to remember them, one save in the 1st half which went out for a corner in the South East corner, he should have held on to and the other one again in the 1st half which I think you are talking about he did not get his hand to the ball, it supposedly came off of Barratt leg after the challenge.

Unless of course there were others?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Aug. 06 2005,18:24)]Not a great Gray fan but thought he played well, it was Freddy and his appaling first touch that needs singleing out but then again he can do no wrong!
Both Gray and Eastwood's first touch is often poor. We DID have a forward who could actually control a ball. Now, what was his name?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The_Showstoppa15 @ Aug. 06 2005,18:03)]Flahavan    7     Made two impressive fingertip saves to keep
Vale at bay and made a good punch when coming for a cross in the first half...........
.............when a taller keeper may have held onto all three?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seenyeva kryevyetka @ Aug. 06 2005,18:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Aug. 06 2005,18:24)]Not a great Gray fan but thought he played well, it was Freddy and his appaling first touch that needs singleing out but then again he can do no wrong!
Both Gray and Eastwood's first touch is often poor. We DID have a forward who could actually control a ball. Now, what was his name?
Drewe?

If you thoght Gray was $%&*e then Eastwood should have been transfer listed straight after the final whistle, Gray worked hard and scored a great goal. It was a shame he failed to score near the end but he keeper made a great save to deny him.

We always get $%&* refs as well

thought gray was terrible today, he scored a good goal but he missed a right sitter at the end, either side of the keeper and he scores but he put it down the middle. he was fairly lazy and was on the floor many times. i also thought bently was poor. guttridge offered us nothing down the right but in the odd occasions he driffted in the centre he looked good. i thought bently should have gone off at halftime with guttridge going in the middle and gower coming on wide.

cole looked dangerous.

on both goals knowone picked up the goal scorer, he could have had a hatrick but put his second half effort over the bar

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alex @ Aug. 06 2005,18:36)]thought gray was terrible today, he scored a good goal but he missed a right sitter at the end, either side of the keeper and he scores but he put it down the middle. he was fairly lazy and was on the floor many times. i also thought bently was poor. guttridge offered us nothing down the right but in the odd occasions he driffted in the centre he looked good. i thought bently should have gone off at halftime with guttridge going in the middle and gower coming on wide.

cole looked dangerous.

on both goals knowone picked up the goal scorer, he could have had a hatrick but put his second half effort over the bar
What did you think of Eastwood?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Aug. 06 2005,18:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alex @ Aug. 06 2005,18:36)]thought gray was terrible today, he scored a good goal but he missed a right sitter at the end, either side of the keeper and he scores but he put it down the middle. he was fairly lazy and was on the floor many times. i also thought bently was poor. guttridge offered us nothing down the right but in the odd occasions he driffted in the centre he looked good. i thought bently should have gone off at halftime with guttridge going in the middle and gower coming on wide.

cole looked dangerous.

What did you think of Eastwood?
though eastwood was poor aswell his shots were well bellow his standard, however atleast eastwood made the effort of getting the ball unlike gray who was more intrested in standing around chewing his gum up until the 70th minute

By and large I agre with the report actually.

Guttidge, IMO, wasn't poor but he's no right-sided midfielder. Just as when Lawson came on for Cole, we had very little shape on the wing. I rate Gutts reasonably highly and his technique is very good. However, we needed to stretch them more and as hard as he tried, there was only so much Jupp could do going forward.

In fcat, I think Jupp was probably our most regularly used attacking force until Gower came on. Why we didn't get it to Cole more after he showed he could beat his man I don't know. Thought Cole looked very good and if Freddy was as sharp as we know he can be, he'd have done better with some of the low balls that Cole put in. Granted, some of them didn't come off second half. One thing I now know about him is that he's definitely left footed!!

biggrin.gif

As for Gray, he was totally anonymous first half. I'm not sure why people keep going on about him being on the floor. It's not like he just sits down when he's bored running. He's frequently knocked off the ball!! However, he had very little value to our attack because of poor running and poor service.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Aug. 06 2005,19:24)]Not a great Gray fan but thought he played well, it was Freddy and his appaling first touch that needs singleing out but then again he can do no wrong!
One thing we DO agree on, Wiggy!

I noticed last season that Eastwood's first touch was awful. He may score the goals but his overall play was way below what I would have expected and his vision across the pitch to his colleagues was blinkered to say the least. I hoped that he might work on this during the close-season. Is it apparent that he hasn't ... ?!

WS

glare.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Aug. 07 2005,09:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Aug. 06 2005,19:24)]Not a great Gray fan but thought he played well, it was Freddy and his appaling first touch that needs singleing out but then again he can do no wrong!
One thing we DO agree on, Wiggy!

I noticed last season that Eastwood's first touch was awful. He may score the goals but his overall play was way below what I would have expected and his vision across the pitch to his colleagues was blinkered to say the least. I hoped that he might work on this during the close-season. Is it apparent that he hasn't ... ?!

WS

glare.gif
He scored the goals that got us up Mike, what more do you want? Actually his overall play was improving as the season went on and it was his very clever and well weighted pass that set up Gray for his guilt edged chance at the end of the game yesterday. He was playing Ryman Premier football this time last year so this is still a huge learning curve for him. Despite that he is doing what he's paid for, to score goals, and the rest of his game is improving. I repeat my question, what more do you want?

General consensus from South Upper was when Gray missed the sitter at the end was "Goater would have buried that chance". I don't like to slag SUFC players off but how many times last season did Gray miss chances like that?

Thought Gower totally changed the game, he looked a lot fitter than the end of last season and will probably start on Tuesday at Bradford.

Maher was excellent especially in the 2nd half.

All in all the long journey was not to disappointing as the 2nd half was very encouraging and we certainly deserved a point from the game - bring on "The Goat".

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seenyeva kryevyetka @ Aug. 06 2005,18:28)]
[b said:
It's asking a bit much for Super Roy McDonough to get his boots back on though.
laugh.gif

Dear God I hope you aren't referring to Drewe. I still remember the only pass he ever made to a team mate
blues.gif

How did Tes play yesterday ?
wow.gif

Back