• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yep you are right there. I don't really know what you thought I meant by 'I don't believe he has done anything to hurt the club.' You've obviously read it in a way that I didn't mean.

I think it's the bit that says 'I don't believe he has done anything to hurt the club.' if it said 'I don't believe he has done anything to Intentionally hurt the club.' that would make more sense :)

These are the latest figures available -at the time the team had just finished the season in 8th place in Lge 1.
Mr Martin insists appropriate steps have been taken to improve the club's financial situation and the future is bright.

I:winking:'d better get my shades then.

I think it's the bit that says 'I don't believe he has done anything to hurt the club.' if it said 'I don't believe he has done anything to Intentionally hurt the club.' that would make more sense :)

Fair enough! What do I know? I'm only doing an English Language Degree... :stunned:

This is why I can understand why we don't get as much information from the club as we used to. As soon as something is realeased, it's all "lies and spin". The bloke can't win with most of you lot. People are always asking for more information, and as soon as we get some, everyone's up in arms. This is exactly what will be said at the AGM next week, maybe he's just trying to inform those supporters that won't be there.

I personally like when we get a bit of news from Ron 'boy' Martin but the thing is it's so difficult to believe anything that is said. We know that the development is very very complex and that we are gradually getting closer.
In my opinion Ron Martin is paying people as late as possible, when he could easily pay all these bills out of his own pocket. But he's not, CASH FLOW, is what is going on here. Ronald can't really announce that this is what is going on as I presume the courts wouldn't much like it.

haveaguiness said:
Just to clear up, I am not saying that what he is saying in this article is all lies. This is pretty much as close to the truth as we will get in terms of the financial side of things as these are the published accounts, but it is the previous lies about not having to worry about the financial side of the club any longer, but then being called back into court again earlier this season for a late payment. If he just came out and said that we would pushing close to the edge for the next 2 years whilst he trys to get the ground built and sorted and he would do all he can to get us through it and into the ground then we wouldn't have people being so against him. You only have to look at plenty of other clubs in the league that are struggling, it isn't just us.
I didn't specifically mean you, apologies. It's just the general way the board is at the moment.

With regards to the financing of the club, 6-8 weeks ago people were crying out for funds to be put into the club to obtain some loan players. But we're skint, so if we had financed those players, and we'd missed out on the play-offs, those same people would then be moaning when the accounts showed that we we're losing 110k per month rather than 100k per month.

I'd rather we spent as little as possible to give us the best possible chance of still having a club to support, whilst we try to engineer the move to FF.

I didn't specifically mean you, apologies. It's just the general way the board is at the moment.

With regards to the financing of the club, 6-8 weeks ago people were crying out for funds to be put into the club to obtain some loan players. But we're skint, so if we had financed those players, and we'd missed out on the play-offs, those same people would then be moaning when the accounts showed that we we're losing 110k per month rather than 100k per month.

I'd rather we spent as little as possible to give us the best possible chance of still having a club to support, whilst we try to engineer the move to FF.

I agree with your there. I would rather the club not spend any money and still be here, if a little worse off footballing wise than try and spend money in search of money that, realistically is unachievable.

I see on the back page of todays Echo Ron Martin is blaming the players for relegation last season he states 'The players should have done better despite being paid late on several occasions''There has been much speculation regarding the lack of payment to players and the impact on their performance', 'Players were paid late but they were all paid in full', 'With this in mind the reasonable expectation would be for the football management and professional sportsman to continue their desire to want to win'

Last edited:
With regards to the financing of the club, 6-8 weeks ago people were crying out for funds to be put into the club to obtain some loan players. But we're skint

If that's true, what were we looking at players for? and how come 43 (146?) turn us down? We've obviously found some money somewhere.

Unless of course the story about players turning us down is BS.

I see on the back page of todays Echo Ron Martin is blaming the players for relegation last season he states 'The players should have done better despite being paid late on several occasions''There has been much speculation regarding the lack of payment to players and the impact on their performance', 'Players were paid late but they were all paid in full', 'With this in mind the reasonable expectation would be for the football management and professional sportsman to continue their desire to want to win'

Ron in blaming Tilly and the players shocker.

Am I alone in finding that comment very disrespectful?

Disrespectful, but not surprising.

And it's another comment that will **** a lot of people off. Driving a further divide between fans and club and indeed between the fans themselves.

Stuff like that should not be printed, it is not helpful in any way. And certainly will not help "build bridges"

To be honest, the players should not have been paid late, but they also should have still played to the best of their ability. Which they didn't or we wouldn't have been relegated. The thing is, paying the players late is one thing, but that isn't the only thing that was going on!

Also a piece on page 9 about the revised planning permission due to be decided on 25th April - less shop space 16,400sq m instead of 22,682sq m and 67 flats instead of 127. Again this does not extend the original expiry date of 1st July its going to be very tight & I doubt RM will be able to day much about FF starting at the AGM.

GBJ said:
If that's true, what were we looking at players for? and how come 43 (146?) turn us down? We've obviously found some money somewhere.

Unless of course the story about players turning us down is BS.
It's possible that we were trying to arrange loans where the parent club pays all the wages....

Rayo Vallecano haven't been paid all season in Spain. They sit in 2nd, 9 games off promotion to La Liga. So RM has a point, to an extent, but equally he shouldn't be surprised that the players didn't give their all last season - you can't really blame them.

Rayo Vallecano haven't been paid all season in Spain. They sit in 2nd, 9 games off promotion to La Liga. So RM has a point, to an extent, but equally he shouldn't be surprised that the players didn't give their all last season - you can't really blame them.

To an extent yes. But, stuff like 'Players were paid late but they were all paid in full', 'With this in mind the reasonable expectation would be for the football management and professional sportsman to continue their desire to want to win' should not really be said in public.

Last edited:
This guy is in his own world. It wasn't just late payment, it was non payment for three months. I also think his attitude to the players' non payment was atrocious and destroyed all loyalty from them - no apologies to them, no understanding of what it meant personally and worst of all his reputed attitude of 'if you don't like it you can **** off'. I have never come across an owner treating his employees so badly. He can re-write history in his own mind as much as he likes, but for me it was 100% his fault that we went down (I would be interested to see if he thought selling Lee Barnard helped as well!!!).

I appreciate that people care about the club and want to know the truth.

But do they honestly expect Ron to publically say that the club has no money, few assets, massive debts and is completely reliant on Sainsburys, i.e. that the club is not sustainable? Any creditors would stop outstanding monies immediately and not trade with the club, Sainsburys could reclaim the loans/take Roots Hall, the new sponsorship deal would not have been signed etc, players like Kane would not have been persuaded to sign etc, basically it would be the beginning of the end.

As much as i don't like spin, it is perhaps in the football club's best interests at the moment.

Back