• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
*Typed up for the Exiles*

As expected RM makes a statement to the Echo a week before the AGM, he is becoming more predictable by the day.

Southend United chairman Ron Martin expects the football club to be playing at the new FF stadium next year.

He spoke out as Blues' latest accounts were published showing the club lost £2 million in July 2008/09 and had an overall debt of £7.97 million at the time.

These are the latest figures available -at the time the team had just finished the season in 8th place in Lge 1.
Mr Martin insists appropriate steps have been taken to improve the club's financial situation and the future is bright.

He said in the club's report and financial statements document for 2009-As a result of relegation and the challenges ahead we have, following the appointment of PS been able to reduce our players wage bill by approx 50%.

Staff reductions have also been necessary in the current season while improving customer service through ongoing efficiencies.
Further reductions in other operating expenses have also been achieved
The board and I are determined to reduce losses this coming year while continuing to make every effort to compete on the pitch.

Despite the troubles Mr Martin hopes the will be playing football at FF in the 2012/12 season.
He added, I hoped by now we would have started the new stadium and as I anticipated arrangements with Sainsbury's would be completed quicker.Unfortunately the necessary due diligence required on such a complex proposal, which necessitates the purchase of some 30 individual property interests has delayed matters beyond my wishes and expectations.

I do however remain solid in my resolve to provide the club with a new home and with the recent good progress made on all fronts I can say we expect to be playing in the new stadium in the 2012/13 season.

The 2 million loss for July 2008/09 was a slight improvement on the previous year when the club was down 2.4 million.
The latest figures also revealed the Blues' annual turnover was 5.3 million -slightly lower than the year before.-while income from pure trading was down just £50,328 year-on-year to £4.6 million.

The number of playing, coaching and football management staff increased from 63 to 73 while total employees were 103 compared with 95 the previous year.

Wages and salaries came in at £3.93 million in 08/9 compared with £3.74 million in 07/8.
Commercial income levels remained largely the same at about £1 million.

Did David Cameron write this for him?:unsure:

Sounds like every things rosy and back on track with no more issues and nothing else to worry about then.

Hmmmn....

Necessary due diligence ? I'm sure I first read about the new ground in 1981, admittedly not FF. Since FF was first mooted how many other new grounds have been completed ? Chesterfield is the obvious one. Does FF predate Scunthorpe, Walsall, Huddersfield, MK Dons, Oxford and others I have forgotten ?

Anyone have 1 share they'd consider selling me or giving me proxy for the AGM ?

Necessary due diligence ? I'm sure I first read about the new ground in 1981, admittedly not FF. Since FF was first mooted how many other new grounds have been completed ? Chesterfield is the obvious one. Does FF predate Scunthorpe, Walsall, Huddersfield, MK Dons, Oxford and others I have forgotten ?

I must admit Tone,I for one would like to see you at the AGM.

I've an idea the idea to move from Roots Hall was floated before 1981, but agree it's a good 30 years or more. I can't quite remember when Glanford Park was completed (over 20 years ago I think) but I'm pretty sure that I'm right in saying it was the first purpose built stadium for a football league club since Roots Hall was completed in the 50's.

There was quite a piece in the programme for the away match at Stockport when we won promotion in 1987 about our move to Aviation Way and how it highly unlikely that we'd still be at RH come the turn of the decade

24 years later from that piece ....

Butter somebody up;
Definition;
To praise someone and/or to tell them what they want to here in order to get them to like you or do what you want!

Ronald Ronald Ronald, you cheeky boy. He loves it doesn't he? I don't believe he has done anything to hurt the club, I hope he really does pull the rabbit out of his hat. BUT what really annoys me is the way he releases some 'REALLY GREAT NEWS' before an AGM or Q&A etc to make the fans melt in his palm, saving any grief that he definitely deserves. Ron I hope you do it, I really do!

More guff than a party political broadcast. In the 2012/2013 season we'll be fortunate to exist let alone play in a 22,000 seater stadium.

Last edited:
Butter somebody up;
Definition;
To praise someone and/or to tell them what they want to here in order to get them to like you or do what you want!

Ronald Ronald Ronald, you cheeky boy. He loves it doesn't he? I don't believe he has done anything to hurt the club, I hope he really does pull the rabbit out of his hat. BUT what really annoys me is the way he releases some 'REALLY GREAT NEWS' before an AGM or Q&A etc to make the fans melt in his palm, saving any grief that he definitely deserves. Ron I hope you do it, I really do!

You don't believe he has done anything to hurt the club? Countless appearances in court, unpaid wage bills, failure to pay a sacked manager, constant lies and players that don't want to sign for us because they know what the club is like... How is that not hurting the club. I'm sure 99% of people would really like to see him pull it out of the hat but if the last few years are anything to go buy then it isn't going to happen, is it...?

You don't believe he has done anything to hurt the club? Countless appearances in court, unpaid wage bills, failure to pay a sacked manager, constant lies and players that don't want to sign for us because they know what the club is like... How is that not hurting the club. I'm sure 99% of people would really like to see him pull it out of the hat but if the last few years are anything to go buy then it isn't going to happen, is it...?

He hasn't meant to do it has he?! I really dislike him, but to suggest that he has meant to '**** his own business and development up' is madness!

He hasn't meant to do it has he?! I really dislike him, but to suggest that he has meant to '**** his own business and development up' is madness!

I didn't say he meant to do it, but it is just his out right arrogance in not facing up to the fans about it and constant lies that has annoyed so many.

This is why I can understand why we don't get as much information from the club as we used to. As soon as something is realeased, it's all "lies and spin". The bloke can't win with most of you lot. People are always asking for more information, and as soon as we get some, everyone's up in arms. This is exactly what will be said at the AGM next week, maybe he's just trying to inform those supporters that won't be there.

I didn't say he meant to do it, but it is just his out right arrogance in not facing up to the fans about it and constant lies that has annoyed so many.

Yep you are right there. I don't really know what you thought I meant by 'I don't believe he has done anything to hurt the club.' You've obviously read it in a way that I didn't mean.

This is why I can understand why we don't get as much information from the club as we used to. As soon as something is realeased, it's all "lies and spin". The bloke can't win with most of you lot. People are always asking for more information, and as soon as we get some, everyone's up in arms. This is exactly what will be said at the AGM next week, maybe he's just trying to inform those supporters that won't be there.

Indeed... The figures are there to disect.

The fact we paid more in wages in the season that we failed to reach the POs than the season we actually reached them is a bit of a farce as there wasn't an awful lot of difference between the two squads, and we'd lost Bailey by then, too. Glad to see we've halved the wage bill, although is that enough? In terms of FF, I think more news will be forthcoming on the day of the AGM.

Indeed... The figures are there to disect.

The fact we paid more in wages in the season that we failed to reach the POs than the season we actually reached them is a bit of a farce as there wasn't an awful lot of difference between the two squads, and we'd lost Bailey by then, too. Glad to see we've halved the wage bill, although is that enough? In terms of FF, I think more news will be forthcoming on the day of the AGM.

Could you disect those "Administration Expenses" for me then ? About three and a half million over the last two reported seasons.

So RM hasn't sctually extended the timescale for FF & is still saying ready 'during' 2012/13 season. That would go along with the fact that the planning permission expires on the 1st July & as I see it is very difficult to actually get that date extended. Work has to start soon, probably by the start of June otherwise the whole project may be delayed by years.

I've an idea the idea to move from Roots Hall was floated before 1981, but agree it's a good 30 years or more. I can't quite remember when Glanford Park was completed (over 20 years ago I think) but I'm pretty sure that I'm right in saying it was the first purpose built stadium for a football league club since Roots Hall was completed in the 50's.

Spot on H; Glanford Park was built in 1987.

I was recently flicking through a few of my old programmes and there was a full page advert in one from 1986 (vs Man City in the League Cup) talking about our imminent new stadium!

Just to clear up, I am not saying that what he is saying in this article is all lies. This is pretty much as close to the truth as we will get in terms of the financial side of things as these are the published accounts, but it is the previous lies about not having to worry about the financial side of the club any longer, but then being called back into court again earlier this season for a late payment. If he just came out and said that we would pushing close to the edge for the next 2 years whilst he trys to get the ground built and sorted and he would do all he can to get us through it and into the ground then we wouldn't have people being so against him. You only have to look at plenty of other clubs in the league that are struggling, it isn't just us.

Back