• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

View attachment 1211A article from 66 ,with another take over that didn,t happen if I am correct.Nice to know we were looking for another couple of strikers to turn the corner again!!!

"what can you do without money" Not much changes then except they were looking for the Directors to pump in 50,000 - weekly wage for a medium/good premier player these days.

Great article - away trip to Barrow? Blimey how many zoners ever went there?

"what can you do without money" Not much changes then except they were looking for the Directors to pump in 50,000 - weekly wage for a medium/good premier player these days.

Great article - away trip to Barrow? Blimey how many zoners ever went there?
Sorry should read we;ve see it all before.Anyway from what I remember Barrow was the pits! did anyone do Bradford Park Avenue?

Note the manager's comment after relegation - 'It could be a lot worse.' I remember him saying that and how much bad feeling that caused among supporters.

Note the article about Peter Watson having to retire at just 27 years old. By far the best centre half in Southend United's history. Used to see him around the town in the following years, as he was a painter and decorator.

Someone mentioned Barrow. Yes, I made that trip as well as: Carlisle, Workington, Hartlepool & Darlington.
In the days when Supreme coaches had to leave on Friday nights from the Club Car Park @ 11.30pm and the heating was virtually non-existent!

Sorry should read we;ve see it all before.Anyway from what I remember Barrow was the pits! did anyone do Bradford Park Avenue?

Yes did Park Avenue, where Yorkshire used to play cricket. Valley Parade where you needed a degree in Urdu to communicate with the locals.

Note the article about Peter Watson having to retire at just 27 years old. By far the best centre half in Southend United's history. Used to see him around the town in the following years, as he was a painter and decorator.

Someone mentioned Barrow. Yes, I made that trip as well as: Carlisle, Workington, Hartlepool & Darlington.
In the days when Supreme coaches had to leave on Friday nights from the Club Car Park @ 11.30pm and the heating was virtually non-existent!

Peter Watson was one of the best players to play for Southend in the last 50 years. He also tried to get his younger brother a trial at the club, but was turned down. Needless to say, he went on to play for England.

Just to show that age is not the reason that I'm rather slow on the up take. As a snotty teenager, I remember being outside my brother's shop at the Plough, in Westcliff, and seeing a bloke in a green jacket with a crest on the pocket. I went up to him and said, "that's Nottingham Forrest, isn't it?"..........he replied in the affirmative. Don't think I realised until afterwards that I had spoken to Peter Watson. (In my 'mental' defense I seem to remember that the arrival of a bus curtailed any further conversation)
Nothing to do with this thread but another little anecdote centering around the Plough at that time. I think it was in the garages, next to the Plough pub, that Bobby Kellard's father had a taxi business.

Peter Watson was one of the best players to play for Southend in the last 50 years. He also tried to get his younger brother a trial at the club, but was turned down. Needless to say, he went on to play for England.
Was that Dave Watson?
Also remember being taken to the testimonial by my Dad. I think a few of the players that night were Jimmy Hill Tommy Docherty Danny Blanchflower and Roy Bentley

Nothing to do with this thread but another little anecdote centering around the Plough at that time. I think it was in the garages, next to the Plough pub, that Bobby Kellard's father had a taxi business.

I had the privilege of playing with Bobby Kellard for AC Taxis in the Wednesday League in the 80s. Saw him a few years ago in the Halfway House @ Thorpe Bay. Bought him a drink because he remembered me!

I had the privilege of playing with Bobby Kellard for AC Taxis in the Wednesday League in the 80s. Saw him a few years ago in the Halfway House @ Thorpe Bay. Bought him a drink because he remembered me!

Bobby played for our Sunday League side in the 80's, by that time he had become quite rotund. I remember we played Concord on a Sunday morning at John Burrows, Bobby ran out tummy hanging over his shorts, little ankle socks, no shin pads and puffing on a ciggy. The Concord lot all streaked blonde hair and sheepskins fell about laughing on seeing him, and probably the most polite comment was look at that fat ****. Early in the game the Concord keeper kicked the ball downfield, Bob was just in our half, he let the ball bounce, and chipped it back over the keeper, and clipped the cross bar, they stopped laughing and took him seriously after that. My over riding memory was Bob little legs going like pistons shouting to people "giss it, giss the ****ing ball", he also managed to play in the same team with his son.

Yes I would agree with that - far better than his younger brother Dave who managed to get capped by England

Yes I would agree with that - far better than his younger brother Dave who managed to get capped by England

I can remember playing a game of table tennis against him when he came round to discuss doing some building work with my Dad, back in the 60's:O was he cross eyed.No wonder he had to pack up playing football.Agree hew was a great player for us though.

Back