• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Don't for a second think I agree with this article, but I think you've missed the point. It isn't saying kids have to like, or eat spicy food. What it is saying is look for their reaction to the food. If the reaction to (for example) fish and chips is to push it away and refuse to eat it, but their reaction to, say, curry, is to say "Yuk" then the reaction could be considered racist because it is out of the norm for that child.

I still think it's a load of rubbish, but let's at least vilify it for the correct reasons.

No, I think you're reading something in there which isn't there. Young children will go "yuk" to a huge variety of food, and especially if it looks "sloppy" and they can't use their fingers to eat it (so many aren't taught to use cutlery properly). They will also come out with any variety of excuses, whichever they think is going to get them out of it. If the cook happened to be coloured and they had had a falling out with them earlier in the day, they could quite easily answer that the reason they don't like the food is because they don't like the cook. This doesn't mean they have racist tendencies, just that they are too young to be able to formulate and express opinions.

If an Asian child is knocked over during play accidentally, and then goes home and tells their parent that another child (who happens to be white) has knocked them over, does that make the other child racist? Of course it doesn't. Children learn prejudices from other people, watching their reactions to different foods is not going to indicate anything other than the fact that they might have cautious food tastes.

You would if Mohammed was secretly making bombs or plotting to kill thousands of innocent citizens while being your friend to your face!!

Something that happened to my girlfriend. Somehow she seems to manage not to hate every muslim person that lives in this country.

Driving past an Indian restaurant, the smell hits you everytime..for me, I love it, would sit outside an Indian all day, the smell is awesome....but to a child, they will then associate the smell with Indians in general and may well use the term 'Its made by those smelly people'...not racism, but how they percieve the Indian people to be, they associate Indians with the smell from a curry house!!

Not just an association a child can make. I personally associate curry smell with Indians, chinese food smell with Chinese, garlic with the French and for some reason tomato based pasta sauces with Italians.

This is of course in the same way that some Asians associate Europeans with smelling of sour milk (surprising as it may sound).

Of course, me thinking this is racist, so I've already predicted the comments from some on here...!! But I bet many others think the same.

No, I think you're reading something in there which isn't there. Young children will go "yuk" to a huge variety of food, and especially if it looks "sloppy" and they can't use their fingers to eat it (so many aren't taught to use cutlery properly). They will also come out with any variety of excuses, whichever they think is going to get them out of it. If the cook happened to be coloured and they had had a falling out with them earlier in the day, they could quite easily answer that the reason they don't like the food is because they don't like the cook. This doesn't mean they have racist tendencies, just that they are too young to be able to formulate and express opinions.

That's very true- there's not a definite causal link whereby the kid's reaction would definitely mean they'd been exposed to racist ideas or anything like that. What I assume/hope the full NCB document says is that it's a possible link, and that it might be worth looking out for similar stuff in the future. This being a news story of course, the nuances are going to be missed out in favour of something a bit more sensationalist.

N.B.- if on the other hand the full document *isn't* more cautious, then the people who wrote it are idiots.

Not just an association a child can make. I personally associate curry smell with Indians, chinese food smell with Chinese, garlic with the French and for some reason tomato based pasta sauces with Italians.

This is of course in the same way that some Asians associate Europeans with smelling of sour milk (surprising as it may sound).

Of course, me thinking this is racist, so I've already predicted the comments from some on here...!! But I bet many others think the same.

As they associate Bacon and Eggs, KFC, Wimpy,Maccy Dee with us.

You must be one ofthe minority, just like me, thats is so often slated on this board for our "English"views. Be careful you will be randed a racist, probably by the next poster.

you're making this remark (or something similar) on every thread on a race/political correctness etc. topic at the moment.... careful or you'll start sounding like some of those whining liberal types :p

Liberal? Ooh how spiteful. Where you been Loz, there's been loads of opportunity for an argument lately.

Liberal? Ooh how spiteful. Where you been Loz, there's been loads of opportunity for an argument lately.

true, but every thread seems to be a variation on this basic template:

someone: look at this story, political correctness gone mad etc...

MK Shrimper: it's all capitalism's fault.

someone: no it isn't, it's because of immigrants and people on benefits.

steveo: yeah, but you can't say that or the namby-pampy PC brigade will call you racist.

J: string up the lot of 'em.

they're normally still a good read, but i don't have too much to add, don't want to break up the flow :p :p :p

Yep I see what you mean Loz and I agree MK is often controversial, but as much as our opinions differ I am confident we will agree on something somewhere before the end of the decade. In the meantime I will continue to post with restraint as most of the right wingers seem to be getting banned.

Yep I see what you mean Loz and I agree MK is often controversial, but as much as our opinions differ I am confident we will agree on something somewhere before the end of the decade. In the meantime I will continue to post with restraint as most of the right wingers seem to be getting banned.

Of course you'll agree on something - you both support Southend for instance don't you?! His and my politics are a million miles apart but that doesn't stop us from getting on fine. It's all about having respect for another person's views and knowing you'll get the same back.

I do agree with you that Sepp Blatter is a **** :D

LOL all I get from MK is neg rep but I got some green from Firestorm the other week which more than makes up for it - although he does have a tendency to hit the wrong button.

LOL all I get from MK is neg rep but I got some green from Firestorm the other week which more than makes up for it - although he does have a tendency to hit the wrong button.

Nooo, I did give you +rep once... I remember that I wrote it in my diary.

I'll have to check that later I am currently watching a programme called on the fiddle which has so far featured fraudulent benefit claims from a Bosnian and an Indian which may make a good post subject tomorrow LOL.

I'll have to check that later I am currently watching a programme called on the fiddle which has so far featured fraudulent benefit claims from a Bosnian and an Indian which may make a good post subject tomorrow LOL.

Could we make it include the bloke who does the scaffolding company as well so give a more balanced view ?

missed that bit. After 5 minutes of the spotty bird who lives with Bosnian I had to turn it off. Onto a sky plussed grand designs now.

Back