• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

when the question where did it go wrong comes up I will always say it depends on your expectations, being a supporter for 25 years I will say finishing in the top ten of the third division is a good season, I still think some people have unrealistic expectations, born of course out of tillys previous success, great finish to the season and hopefully we can build on it in the summer.

This season was hampered by a disastrous summer where we signed the wrong players, players out of desperation, players too late or on too short contracts. Yes, it was a shame that Gower and Bailey left late but I dont think we can use that as an excuse for everything. I'm not saying all the signings were bad but even the good ones (Sawyer, Harding, Stanislas) had negative effects because they stopped our own players (Grant, Moussa etc) getting valuable experience earlier in the season. Also the lack of continuity especially around xmas was a result of this 'make it up as you go along' policy. After January we were superb becasue we invested faith in our own players and kept the loans to a minimum. We had a settled side and have a blueprint now for next season.

I would be ****ed of to say the least if we (meaning Ron) tries to use a similar argument in relation to Clarke's contract to explain a lack of defensive signings this summer although I wouldn't rule it out. This would go something like a) we offered Clarke a contract (probably inferior to his current one) b) Clarke left it late before deciding not to sign it and go elsewhere c) Hence all the best centre-backs have gone which is why we are now reduced to trying to loan untested 19 year olds from London prem sides (not that this is necessary a problem in itself if they are used to compliment your own players)

We need to use some foresight and planning this summer. I dont want us to spend big money but I think if we are organised we can pick up the right players on Bosmans or season long loans.

Last edited:
Hence all the best centre-backs have gone which is why we are now reduced to trying to loan untested 19 year olds from London prem sides (not that this is necessary a problem in itself if they are used to compliment your own players)

Absolutely, Adam can never be reminded too often how much his bald pate makes him look intimidating, and Clarky just thrives on compliments.

Said at the beginning of the season I'd be quite happy to finish in the top half after our losses last summer. Think of all the successes this season - Chelsea and everything that surrounded those 2 wonderful matches; discovering some very talented loanees; bringing on youngsters like Herd, O'Keefe and even Hazell - it really hasn't been a bad season. A little disappointing, even frustrating at times but that's all.

I would be ****ed of to say the least if we (meaning Ron) tries to use a similar argument in relation to Clarke's contract to explain a lack of defensive signings this summer although I wouldn't rule it out. This would go something like a) we offered Clarke a contract (probably inferior to his current one) b) Clarke left it late before deciding not to sign it and go elsewhere c) Hence all the best centre-backs have gone which is why we are now reduced to trying to loan untested 19 year olds from London prem sides (not that this is necessary a problem in itself if they are used to compliment your own players)

Agreed. I hope we do what we did with the keeper spot and have already lined up our man who we sign early and is an upgrade.

Indeed. Obviously we'd have all loved to have been in the Playoffs or challenging for automatic promotion, but in the years I've been going to matches I can count the number of times we've been in that position at this stage of the season on the fingers of one hand. Plus as you say, in the context of our history, there's been very few times we've finished higher than this.

I'd say that we're around the 8th biggest Club at this level so I don't think we can demand to finish much higher than we have done. Particularly considering the players we lost last summer and the failure to replace them.

I agree with this, plus that fact that we continue to play attractive, exciting and attacking football. it's a pity that we couldn't quite get into the playoffs, but with fairly limited funds we have signed a developed some strong players... as well has having some talent in the pipeline for next season. Tilly and Brush have continue to improve (IMO) and so next season is looking very positive from where I sit!

Hang on here, we are not out of the playoffs yet

We win our last two games 5-0 each
Tranmere lose 0-9 then draw with Scunny
Scunthorpe lose 3 games and draw With Tranmere

We end up 73 points +5 GD
Tranmere 73 ponts +4 GD
Scunthorpe 71 points

Or Tranmere lose both games
Scunthorpe lose 2, 5-0 and 1, 4-0 and beat Tranmere 1-0
We end up 73 points +5 GD
Scunthorpe 73 points +3 GD
Tranmere 72 points

Its far from over !!!

Agreed. I hope we do what we did with the keeper spot and have already lined up our man who we sign early and is an upgrade.

you would hope so, they've had enough time to see this obvious challenge. However this is Southend United, we need to make sure the fax machine is loaded first!

Seems we satisfied most people's expectations this season:

Poll

Very nearly got the Chelsea cup option!!

you would hope so, they've had enough time to see this obvious challenge. However this is Southend United, we need to make sure the fax machine is loaded first!

I was pointing was that we did it with our keeper last season, so we don't always **** it up.

Late signings aren't always the Clubs fault. Tilly and Brush will identify players they require, and RM and his team will work on bringing them in. You have to remember the ball is firmly in the players courts still, and they have all summer to decide where they want to play their football next season.

A lot of players will go on their summer holidays not long after the last game of the season which also delays signings and contract talks etc.

Also, there are potential bidding wars with Clubs interested in the same player which can also delay it.

I can grantee you that Tilly, Brush and Martin don't sit around until the week before the start of the season and then think "hang on, we need to bring in 5/6 players before Saturday". The work goes on during the season, to identify players and speak to Clubs and agents about avaliability.

Damn you, you weren't supposed to notice that.

*cough cough*

As for this season, I think its been a success for us to be honest. At the start of the season we lost our best two players, Gower and Bailey, and another important player, in Flavs, with only Flavs really being replaced.

I predicted, at the start of the season, a cup run and flirting with play offs but missing out in the end and thats how its panned out. We all had a great time at Chelsea, no Shrimper will ever forget that game, and we have flirted with the play-offs as well.

Gower Left
SInce Eastwood left never a consitent goal scorer was signed.
Less loaning would be good.

Back