• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wiggy's and Other's Ratings!

Some joker sent a text to BBC Essex after the game I can't remember the exact words but it went something like this:-

"what a bad game today, this is what we have got to look forward to at Fossets Farm 14,000 empty seats in a ground we don't wan't, the sooner Ron Martin leaves us the better"

Someone called Mike sent that in, surely a wind-up, BBC Essex read anything out these days.

They have to give a balanced opinion but theres no reason why they should read out messages from mentalists.

A poor game today but a win that puts us in the playoffs with a current form of WDWLWWDW with a new stadium that most of us DO want agreed.

Yeah bad times indeed.

Yeah, I heard that same txt from "Mick" on BBC Essex, couldn't believe what I was hearing..

Has to be a Col Ewe fan on a wind up...

Doesnt it?

Tidbits from me:

Moussa's first time ball to Gower in the 1st half was simply top, top drawer.

Walker looks to have something that hopefully we can nurture. My only slight concern today was that he didn't seem to have much awareness of players' movement around him. There were several times when he was fed the ball and a quick turn, look up and release would've set players away, yet he kept his head down and passed backwards. Still, looks to have far more about him than most strikers you'll see in this league and yes there is a slight hint of Eastwood about him, Gower.

Speaking of Freddy, am I the only one who found it slightly odd he decided to spend the time up to kick off standing in the tunnel, instead of being in the box that he watched the game from? Reminiscing perhaps! haha. Although he wasn't too impressed when he got spotted by some kids shouting Freddy, and promptly legged it.

Mulgrew is improving, no doubt about it. Decent game today.

Anybody else notice Clarkey boot the ball out the ground on the sly not once but twice during injury stoppages!

Barrett still hasn't learnt not to grapple with his man, which 9 times out of 10 gives away a needless free kick.

Flahavan still hasn't learn to release the ball quicker. Perhaps todays decision will be a wake up call to him. He nearly cost us big time.

Black was terrible. Nuff said.

Another game in which we played poorly but won. I suppose it's results that matter at this time of the season. Luton were awful and if we'd been on form we could've hammered them. Too much long ball stuff again. Bailey was yet again our outstanding player. Thought Mulgrew had a good game other than that was disappointing. Walker looked lively and worked hard but didn't keep the ball well and to be fair didn't get much service. Kanu was anonymous.

Black certainly wasnt terrible. It was his whipped in cross that Bailey knocked in !

His pre-match shooting certainly was terrible cos one shot took out the Beer Monster Chris in the front row of the South Upper. Chris had his glasses smashed into his face and broken, he had a cut face and the start of a massive Black eye. If the ball had hit a small child-type person it may have caused really bad damage.

His pre-match shooting certainly was terrible cos one shot took out the Beer Monster Chris in the front row of the South Upper. Chris had his glasses smashed into his face and broken, he had a cut face and the start of a massive Black eye. If the ball had hit a small child-type person it may have caused really bad damage.
was that the guy he threw his shirt to before the game?

Flavs - 5 - Flapped at a couple of crosses. Gave Luton their best chance of an equaliser.

Francis - 7 - Lots of wayward passing but shows class at times. Produced best skill of the match to turn and beat two players and whip in a perfect cross.

Clarke - 5 - Can barely remember him making one successful pass. Little or no defending to do but still managed an almighty blunder that Scannell dug him out of.

Barrett - 7 - Much better. Had Furlong in his pocket and won a lot more in the air.

Mulgrew - 6 - His passing lets him down. Does some good stuff though.

Gower - 7 - Not at his best but doesn't have to be. Was at the heart of most of our best moves.

Bailey - 7 - Not on top of his game today but still excellent.

Moussa - 6 - A capable stand in. Nothing more yet.

Black - 6 - Ok. Failed to beat his man most of the time. Barely touched it when he went up front. (Also managed to knock out one of his own fans and one of his own players on the same day).

Kanu - 5 - Inexperience showed too often. I thought his first touch was often good and he won a surprising amount in the air. But didn't know what to do with it once he had the ball.

Walker - 8 - Exciting. Would like to see him shoot more but looks strong, quick and skillful. Luton couldn't cope with him - particularly first half.

SUBS:

Grant - 6 - Not on long enough to judge.
Scannell - 6 - Disappointing when in good positions to attack but some superb back-tracking and tackling.
Hunt - N/A

gower---NOT AT HIS BEST BUT DOESNT HAVE TO BE! AFTER 40 ODD YEARS HAVE I MISSED SOMETHING MUST HAVE DONE!

Simon Francis put in a great display today. Some of his passes were poor, but he was solid at right back all day.

IF THE BALL HAD HIT A LARGE MAN TYPE PERSON IN THE TONGUE AREA!
IT MAY HAVE CAUSED REALLY BAD DAMAGE TO THE SLICKER --LICKER!

Conditions windy
Flavs 6 got clean sheet for once, once again too much time wasting and nearly paid for it.
Mulgrew 7.0 Getting Better fewer passes wayward.
Clarke 6.0 Not his best game
Barrett 7 His best game for a while
Francis 8 Played well pick of the defenders great going forward and the turn and cross brilliant.
Moose 5.5 Not very good defending some nice touches
Bailey 8 Buy of the season played well again and goal no 11.
Gower 6 Better in 2nd half
Black 6 Some nice touches
Kanu 4 Never got going and has been out injured.
Walker 8 Tried very hard and scored
Subs
Grant 6 Not enough time to see what he can do would do the the swap for Tuesday
Scannell 5 a great tackle near the end
Hunt 5 came on for Grant in last few seconds

Ref Best we have had for a while tried to keep the game flowing.

I thought Flavs distribution was far too slow and he could easily have released Gower & Black on a number of occasions. Not much to do during the game.

Francis/Mulgrew are both are better going forward but continue to have problems with their defensive duties.

The Barrett/Clarke partnership was more solid and appears to be evolving - Barrett seems to enjoy the responsiblity of being captain.

I thought Gower was excellent yesterday, particularly his workrate. Black not as effective, but still made himself available and made the first goal.

Bailey - some excellent passes [a few dodgy ones also] and a goal. Not at his best but no doubt having a new centre mid patner(s) and the windy conditions impaired his performance a little.

Moose - done OK, not spectacular, but done OK. Definate one for the future.

Kanu - reminds me a little of Dean Morgan - has skill/pace but no real goalscoreing threat. Will make way when Bernard returns.

Grant - Looked a touch scared when he came on - not really enough time on the pitch to judge.

Walker - Plenty of pace and skill. Still finding his feet it seems and no doubt would have had more opportunities with Bernard alongside him. The goal will help his confidence.

IMO I would give MOTM to either Gower/Bailey.

Black certainly wasnt terrible. It was his whipped in cross that Bailey knocked in !

Not quite a whipped in cross, more of a scuffed shot that turned into a cross!

He failed to beat his man once, ran down blind alleys more than once and that occasion in the 2nd half where he refused to shoot from 18 yards when he had all the time and space in the world, yet passed to Walker wide on the left breaking down the whole move, was quite simply farcical.

Not quite a whipped in cross, more of a scuffed shot that turned into a cross!

He failed to beat his man once, ran down blind alleys more than once and that occasion in the 2nd half where he refused to shoot from 18 yards when he had all the time and space in the world, yet passed to Walker wide on the left breaking down the whole move, was quite simply farcical.

Saw goal again this morning. It was not a scuffed shot at all...
As for the moment when he didnt shoot from 18 yrds you could see he was trying to get the ball onto his decent foot .. frustrating, but if we'd scored from the move we would not be looking for excuses..

He didnt have a great game, but far from the disgrace you are trying to paint

My ratings

Flahavan 5 - Luton were so dire, he didn't have a save to make so there isn't much to mark him on but his distribution remains poor yet again.
Francis 7 - one of his best games for the club, although that may well be because he wasn't tested defensively
Mulgrew 7 - see Francis
Clarke 5 - Luton offered little up front, but still had his Peter Clarke moment but was fortunately bailed out by the alert Scannell
Barrett 6 - had a nice shiny new captain's arm-band
Gower 7 - remains our most important player
Bailey 7 - quiet game by his standards, yet proved to be our match-winner
Moussa 6 - good to see a youth team product get a game
Black 5 - not nearly as dangerous as Gower
Walker 7 MOM - just about the pick of them, with a "lively display" that suggests promise
Robson-Kanu 5 - ball failed to stick up front. Harrold would have been a better selection

Subs Scannell 7 - great defensive tracking to bail out Clarke
Grant 6 - did what was necessary to close out the win
Hunt 8 - for being CS J's favourite player

My ratings

Flahavan 5 - Distribution and ariel ability remains poor. 2 marks for his hand signal description of the ref tho!
Francis 7 - Too good for his opposite number, made some excellent forward moves
Mulgrew 7 - Definately improving, will be a class act very soon
Clarke 7 - Reliable and stuck to his task well
Barrett 7 - see Clarke
Gower 6 - Not one one of his best performances especially 1st half. Not one of his worste either tho. No bottle imo.
Bailey 9 MOM - Work rate was immense, underated by some other opinions on here imo. His tackling saved us several times.
Moussa 5 - Not up to it yet. Maybe next season, needs more bottle and to be more physical
Black 5 - One of his off days. he and Gower are too inconsistant.
Walker 7 - lively display but needs a foil to work off.
Robson-Kanu 4 - Seemed un interested and out of his depth / position.

Subs Scannell 5 - One tackle does not a player make! Wasted too many opportunities in the short time he was on imo.
Grant 6 - did what was necessary to close out the win
Hunt 6 - Must feel hard done by to be on the bench.

I think everyone is marking Flaves to high, he cant even hit a blue shirt when he kicks a ball out, BRING BACK STEVE before flaves takes us down the league again

Back