• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Mrs DtS neice is off on a school trip today. This got me thinking back to my school days (Yes I did go to school) and about some of the crap school trips we went on.

I think possibly the worst one I ever went on was when I did A-Level Geography - a field trip to Whitby. The trip itself was a seven day jaunt upto the North East to look at various topics. These included but were not limited to such excitment as the effects and causes of costal errosion, the decline on industry in the North East and the growth of the CBD in Middlesborough.

The trip was basically an excuse for the teachers to punish all the gobbiest pupils for a week solidy. Our hotelier was an iron and used to try and bring us clean towels when we had just come out the shower - Its was horrible.

There was a hotel bar but as my birthday is late July I was only 17 - This was May so of course almost everyone else on my course was 18 and could drink. My teacher a bitch from hell called Mrs Dean made a stamp up so she could stamp everyone who was 18's hand so the bar staff knew who could and couldnt drink. I got round this by quickly putting my hand against someone who had just had the stamp done thus giving me a semi-print. I got smashed and caught by Mrs Dean on the 2nd night. I knew she would want revenge.

On day four the trip was basically to look at the differnent uses of land and housing in Middlesborough. This trip basically involved us breaking up into three or fours and spending three or four hours in our designated area taking pictures and talking to the friendly north east locals.

As the areas were read out it became apparant I was in trouble. All the nice areas that we had been studying in class were being given to the class boffins and I had not been given an area. Finally I got mine - An area known as H block - So called as all the councils worst residents had been moved into this area in the 70's as part of a plan to make it easier for the police to monitor. This of course did not work and just meant it was easier of them to find more criminal like minded people.

So we got on the coach. My buddies for this trip were my mate Joel who was always smoking some horrible **** or another (And is now in care as he has gone a bit mental from all the drugs) and Chris Gayday - A rugger bugger from public school and not even the remotest bit street wise.

All my class mates were saying it was well out of order we were being dropped in H block. We were first ones off the coach our class mates waved us goodbye with that "Will I see you again look in my eye". As we got off the coach I began to know how Bravo Two Zero felt when first dropped in Basra. It was hell - I was 17 and terrified.

We did our best to stick to the script. First off Chris asked a local what it was liking living in this area and he told us to **** off. Later we tried to take a few pictures in the street of the run down housing before the locals tried to nick our cameras. It really werent going to plan. One old woman said that southerners werent welcome and recommended we beat a hasty retreat. Of course we cant do this as the coach is coming in 4 hours.

I did what any sensible man would do and made for a pub. I saw a working mens club and we went in there. Walking into the pub was like a step back in time. Plastic chairs and tables, a broken window and a selection of crisps that were light years past there sell by dates.

We pooled our money which came too about £15 which was a lot at the time and started to drink. We decided the best thing to do was to try and look like locals. I went to the bar and in my best boro accent I ordered, and was served 3 pints. We were in.

All was going well till I sent Chris our local toff up to the bar. All he had to do was order three pints in a Boro type accent. Of course being clever he managed to first off ask if they had a G&T which is hardly a working mans tipple. Secondly his accent was more distressed Jamaican than Boro like. Still he got served despite a few horror looks.

We spent three hours in the corner of this pub before making our way to the drop zone for extraction. I have never been so glad to see a coach in my life. I have only ever come close once since and that was Swansea away when the coach turned up just as some friendly locals had crossed the car park to wish us well.

Mrs Dean came over and asked if we were ok. Four hours of drinking at 17 left me almost unable to put together a audible sentance. Mrs Dean was fumming but we thought it was great.

I can honestly say that was my worst school trip ever. Anyone got a bad one?

Good stuff there Dave.

Nothing that really compares to be honest from my school days, other than our school was officially banned from some historic synagogue (nr Oxford St) not sure the exact one due to various acts of teenage rowdiness and in some cases anti-semitism (I remember my mate decided it would be a good time to display his Union Jack t-shirt). We then were all supposed to go to the Planetarium, but forced our way off the bus at a set of red lights & went on a booze binge in Soho (being 6' tall at the age of 14 I had to go to the bar each round and by the 4th pint the bar-staff had obviously caught on we were underage). The whole day led to my year being banned from any schooltrip until we left.

Also, the school-trip to Germany was quite funny seeing as our teachers had prewarned all the local bars not to serve us but we cottoned on for 1DM we could get a return trip on the ferry across the Rhine where there was a larger village that had more places to drink, I'll never forget the fattest kid in the year having to give it a Linford Christie esque sprint in order to dive onto the last ferry of the night just as it was pulling out!

Sadly, I never got to go on any decent school trips like this. We had to deal with the usual day-trips to castles and important buildings :(

One of the worst was to Joss Bay and Reculver in Kent. Meant to study cliffs, but weren't allowed to go near the ones in Reculver as they were made of sandstone and so could collapse at any time. Pointless and waste of time. So the boys, just to kill the time a bit, went to the rockpools and caught some crabs and threatened to rip their legs off, which isn't very nice.

One of the worst was to Joss Bay and Reculver in Kent. Meant to study cliffs, but weren't allowed to go near the ones in Reculver as they were made of sandstone and so could collapse at any time. Pointless and waste of time. So the boys, just to kill the time a bit, went to the rockpools and caught some crabs and threatened to rip their legs off, which isn't very nice.

Not your last incident with males & crabs, hey Hils?

JOKE!!!

Tilbury Power Station was another at Pitsea Junior School. What a hellhole that is. One of the boys fell into the pond and had to be rescued by a mother :D

I remember going there! No I wasnt the kid that fell in either. However, I was probably thr kid that pushed him in :rolleyes:

We went to a school trip down the seafront. One of our mates climbed up a tree, fell off and banged his head on the corner of a skip. He gashed his head open and was rushed to hospital and had to have quite a few stitches

Everyone was on the coach just staring and doing that stupid "orr shhhh" noise everyone does when they see blood/accident etc.

He went a bit mental after that.

In 1989 I went on a GCSE geography field trip to.....

Great Wakering.

I learned an important lesson - do not attempt to buy alcohol in a school uniform no matter how old you think you look.

Last edited:
Bad memories from the Wight for me. Involving Kareoke (but no booze and a go-kart.

The worst "trip" I've ever been on would be a GCSE Geography one (recurring theme here methinks). Basically what DtS had to do, but locally. My God, what a waste of time.

Cor we had some crackers!

Peter Pan's Playground (three times and we weren't allowed on the rides), Bradwell Power Station but best of all Pitsea Tip!!!!

I kid you not they took us to a rubbish dump.

Cor we had some crackers!

Peter Pan's Playground (three times and we weren't allowed on the rides), Bradwell Power Station but best of all Pitsea Tip!!!!

I kid you not they took us to a rubbish dump.

It no doubt prepared you well for your current position.

Back