• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
First and foremost, we've proved now that there is only one team in Essex. Three games, twice away and we've come out with the winning result on each occasion.

As for the rest, I've got so much to say but I'll try to be succinct (not my greatest asset, admittedly)

The game: Casting aside the obvious bias, that was a great game to watch. Can't vouch for the first half an hour but The game really did have it all. Goals, chances, passion, a sending off all contributed to a thoroughly enjoyable game between two sides both intent on winning. Give Col U the credit for that.

The Sending off: I was completely taken back by this. From what i could see, Bentley flicked the ball away and the Col U guy was so late he may have caught a Port Vale player on the way through. Quite where Bentley was supposed to land I couldn't be sure but I can't see the case for retaliation or violent conduct. I think the general atmosphere in the ground was shock cos no-one was quite sure who he'd sent off. To send off a player for something like that in extra time in a derby was a terrible call. Especially as I'm sure Bents would have taken a peno.

The Pens: 8 of the nine taken were top drawer penalties and I was really impressed. Didn't think either keeper would save one and so it turned out.

Wayne Gray: Fair play to the lad. I've not rated his performances at all since he joined but last night he did what you expect from a striker who's not scoring. Worked extremely hard, got up for headers, ran at the defence, passed pretty well. Good game and he was unlucky not to get the winner. Hopefully he can keep that up.

The Ground + fans: Bear in mind I've never been before. The ground is pretty shambolic. I couldn't believe the state of the stands to our right and the one which we were on was almost a replica of Havant and Waterlooville's goal end terraces. Surely they can't go in to the first division with a ground like that. Are there any regulations?

I was very tempted to go and sign the petition, especially after their self-demeaning attempt to get support from the opposition. Then I heard the attendance figure. 3 and a half thousand is pitiful for a loal derby and you have to wonder who the hell would go to a bigger stadium. Unfortunately, after all, we can't play them every week.

The Police (no Sting though?): There was loads!! Was Osama Bin Laden in the crowd or something. Maybe Batman and Robin had found their way to the roof (let's be honest, it can['t have been hard can it!!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Sep. 30 2004,12:13)]The Sending off:  I was completely taken back by this.  From what i could see, Bentley flicked the ball away and the Col U guy was so late he may have caught a Port Vale player on the way through.  Quite where Bentley was supposed to land I couldn't be sure but I can't see the case for retaliation or violent conduct.  I think the general atmosphere in the ground was shock cos no-one was quite sure who he'd sent off.  To send off a player for something like that in extra time in a derby was a terrible call.  Especially as I'm sure Bents would have taken a peno.
I am waiting with interest to find out what Tilson / Bentley will do about this decision... It can't be allowed to stand, surely?

Many referee's like to stamp their authority on the game and given their dues, most do this fairly well... however, towards the end of a lengthy match, where there has been no fisticuff's, handbags or bad tackles, he could have given the decision a bit more thought! did he consult with the linesman to confirm his decision... I don't recall this being mentioned!!!

I hope that we appeal and get the RED reduced / rescinded! it was punishment enough to lose such an influential player for the remainder of the game, without losing him for another three... C'MON REF, DO THE RIGHT THING!  
wink.gif

If it's not overturned, then there's no justice in the system.

The fourth official or linesmen both had cracking views of the incident and could have informed him. On top of that, none of the Col U players seemed the least bit bothered. Somehow I don't think they'd have been too happy if Bentley had stamped on their buddy's head.

On a slightly different note, can the linesmen intervene by flagging for a dive? I think it was McGleish on the right wing who blatantly dived under a challenge from Jupp (I think). The Lino frowned, shook his head and waved his hand palm down to the floor, all suggesting it wasn't a free kick but I couldn't understand why he wasn't booked.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Sep. 30 2004,14:48)]on a slightly different note, can the linesmen intervene by flagging for a dive?  I think it was McGleish on the right wing who blatantly dived under a challenge from Jupp (I think).  The Lino frowned, shook his head and waved his hand palm down to the floor, all suggesting it wasn't a free kick but I couldn't understand why he wasn't booked.
I doubt that it was mcgleish as he plays for Northampton, but I did see the incident and the linesmans reaction... really sorry for this but (as a qualified ref) the linesman, or assistant referee as they are now called, can bring any abuse of the rules to the refs attention. the ref is ultimately in charge and can over-rule or decide to ignore the assistant. With regard to the Bentley sending off, the ref would normally only consult the assistant if he was in any doubt (not going to suggest that he shouldnt have been) but he obviously thought he saw it clearly. In fact, I would be surprised if he agreed to review the decision as he was about five yards from the incident and the camera was about 40 yards away. Still, we live in hope.

there were so many police because you lot get just a bit carried away and 6 of your lot got arrested

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Sep. 30 2004,16:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Sep. 30 2004,14:48)]on a slightly different note, can the linesmen intervene by flagging for a dive?  I think it was McGleish on the right wing who blatantly dived under a challenge from Jupp (I think).  The Lino frowned, shook his head and waved his hand palm down to the floor, all suggesting it wasn't a free kick but I couldn't understand why he wasn't booked.
I doubt that it was mcgleish as he plays for Northampton, but I did see the incident and the linesmans reaction... really sorry for this but (as a qualified ref) the linesman, or assistant referee as they are now called, can bring any abuse of the rules to the refs attention.  the ref is ultimately in charge and can over-rule or decide to ignore the assistant.  With regard to the Bentley sending off, the ref would normally only consult the assistant if he was in any doubt (not going to suggest that he shouldnt have been) but he obviously thought he saw it clearly. In fact, I would be surprised if he agreed to review the decision as he was about five yards from the incident and the camera was about 40 yards away.  Still, we live in hope.
To a certain extent, I am afraid you might be right.

However, I am sure Tilson has spoken to Bentley, got his version of what happened, viewed the incident on video and considered it is worthy of review.

Now if a referee, the FA and any other authority decide that the referee is always right [even if he's not!] that is collusion and just goes to show how corruption can creep into organisations who want to protect their own!

I should cool down now... DO THE RIGHT THING REF!  
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wayne Gray: Fair play to the lad. I've not rated his performances at all since he joined but last night he did what you expect from a striker who's not scoring. Worked extremely hard, got up for headers, ran at the defence, passed pretty well. Good game and he was unlucky not to get the winner. Hopefully he can keep that up.

I also have to say that I was extremely impressed by his defensive contribution at corners and free kicks.

He had absolutely no luck at all but linked up well with Bramble. I wish he'd run the channels more though.

I though he deserved to be sent off. Controversial I know! But Benltley could have easily cleared (What was a horrendus tackle which the palyer should have been booked for) the player but he deliberatley put his trailing leg down.

Why else would his leg have got anywhere near the player sliding in? If it had been the other way round I would have expected their bloke to have gone.

The ref didn't need to consult his linesman as he was only a matter of 5-10 yards away.

If your correct, and that's arguable, surely both players should have gone.

Either way it was very poor decision making and came in the middle of a quarter hour period when the ref seemed well out of his depth.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ Oct. 01 2004,09:50)]I though he deserved to be sent off. Controversial I know! But Benltley  could have easily cleared (What was a horrendus tackle which the palyer should have been booked for) the player but he deliberatley put his trailing leg down.

Why else would his leg have got anywhere near the player sliding in? If it had been the other way round I would have expected their bloke to have gone.

The ref didn't need to consult his linesman as he was only a matter of 5-10 yards away.
was it 5 yards are 10 yards then? This could be important if the referee was ****-eyed!

Whether he was ****-eyed or not I couldn't tell but he was definitely a ****!

Although I think he got the sending off right can anyone who was in the seats tell us how much of a blatant handball it was when their player was on the ground tussling with a Southend player. He seemed to grab the ball with his hands and pick it up. We got a corner out of it but those in the seats were going ballistic appealing for a pen?

I was about 2 rows back from the hand ball, as the scum player was sliding out his hand came round and pulled the ball back before the whole ball was out of play, what made it worse was the tw*t of a linesman was right in line and had a clear view.. he was Sh*t all game pure cheating..

Back