• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Administration essential even if Blues find money.

Southend United should be placed into administration, even if they clear their current tax debt of 238k, the taxman has said.

Catherine Addy, representing HM Revenue and Customs, described the club as "demonstrably insolvent", a persistent defaulter and warned more tax debts were looming.

She said the current debt was for PAYE and national insurance contributions for April and May, but the club were also now late for June. There is further money owed after the club failed to file their May VAT return by the final deadline on Wednesday, she added.

She told the court, on top of tax debts,customs was now aware of other creditors, including players not being paid and unsatisfied county court judgements and next week's looming winding up petition from Charterhouse Commercial Finance, following reports in the Echo.

She said "We would make this application even if this sum had all been fully discharged today in cleared funds.This is a company which is demonstrably insolvent, both on a cash flow and balance sheet basis. This is in effect the third set of insolvency proceedings in the space of 12 months. Even if it was all paid today in cleared funds we would be back again in two or three months"

She said the money to clear the debt had been transferred to a solicitor by a third party, but permission had not yet been given to release it to customs.

The Club did not have the money to pay their debts and creditors had to go to extreme lengths to get their money, with debts only settled at the last minute when it was faced with a winding up petition and using money from a third party. We respectfully submit this is a company in persistent default of ongoing tax liabilities. The financial position of the company is extraordinary she added.

She argued administration would not destroy the football club, but would allow experienced professionals to go in and run the club to sort out their finances. She also pointed out to Echo reports about The Blue Knight consortium wanting to buy the club and their debts for £1 saying there was evidence of a possible buyer to safe-guard the club's future.

However judge, Mr Justice Newey accepted a request from Nigel Brunning club finance director for more time to provide evidence to back up his claims about the club being able to pay their debts..The case was adjourned until August the 2nd.

Part 2 after a cup of tea.

Sainsbury's will keep bailing out SUFC.

Sainsbury's will keep bailing out Southend United over their growing debt debts until Fossetts Farm is built,the high court was told yesterday. The Blues were in court yesterday to defend an application from HM Revenue and Customs to place then into administration over their latest unpaid tax bill of 238K.

The club did not have a lawyer in court and were represented by Nigel Brunning the club's finance director.

He said the supermarket had provided money to clear the debt and would continue to keep bailing out the club until the deal for it to buy Roots Hall and develop a new stadium at Fossetts Farm goes through.

Ron martin who is currently holidaying in Crete, was not in court, but Mr Brunning said before leaving he had struck a deal with the retailer to keep giving financial support. Mr Brunning said "The club chairman has agreed with Sainsbury's for it to provide support for the club to go forward". He said it meant the retailer would continue to fund the clubs obligations and debts as they fall due.

Mr Brunning said Sainsbury's was holding enough cash to clear the current tax debt plus a further amount to deal with a winding up petition from the loan company Charterhouse which is in the same court next week. On top of this he said the club was due 186k following former player Nicky Bailey's 1.4 million transfer from Charlton Athletic to Middlesbrough.
Blues will receive the because of the sell on clause they inserted into the deal when agreeing to sell Bailey to Charlton 2 years ago.

Speaking about Fossetts Farm, Mr Brunning said a legal agreement had been drawn up to sell Roots Hall to Sainsbury's and for the supermarket to fund the development of the new stadium.He added..It is such a complex deal it is taking a long time to conclude.

He said customs was aware of these complexities, but chose to recover it's money through the courts, rather than by negotiations and had slapped an extra 20K on the current debt just hours before yesterday's court case.

He argued the fact the club had been able to pay off long standing debts of 2.6 million following loans form Sainsbury's in the past 12 months meant it could not be described as insolvent.

He added We have always met what is due to creditors albeit late.I have only been here for a year and a half, but in that time we have taken 2 million off the budget and if not for the relegation we would be in a break even position next year. It is not at all in the interests of creditors for the club to go into administration.

so we are back in court on wed? And this time for winding up not admin.

Last edited:
Administration essential even if Blues find money.

Southend United should be placed into administration, even if they clear their current tax debt of 238k, the taxman has said.

Catherine Addy, representing HM Revenue and Customs, described the club as "demonstrably insolvent", a persistent defaulter and warned more tax debts were looming.

She said the current debt was for PAYE and national insurance contributions for April and May, but the club were also now late for June. There is further money owed after the club failed to file their May VAT return by the final deadline on Wednesday, she added.

She told the court, on top of tax debts,customs was now aware of other creditors, including players not being paid and unsatisfied county court judgements and next week's looming winding up petition from Charterhouse Commercial Finance, following reports in the Echo.

She said "We would make this application even if this sum had all been fully discharged today in cleared funds.This is a company which is demonstrably insolvent, both on a cash flow and balance sheet basis. This is in effect the third set of insolvency proceedings in the space of 12 months. Even if it was all paid today in cleared funds we would be back again in two or three months"

She said the money to clear the debt had been transferred to a solicitor by a third party, but permission had not yet been given to release it to customs.

The Club did not have the money to pay their debts and creditors had to go to extreme lengths to get their money, with debts only settled at the last minute when it was faced with a winding up petition and using money from a third party. We respectfully submit this is a company in persistent default of ongoing tax liabilities. The financial position of the company is extraordinary she added.

She argued administration would not destroy the football club, but would allow experienced professionals to go in and run the club to sort out their finances. She also pointed out to Echo reports about The Blue Knight consortium wanting to buy the club and their debts for £1 saying there was evidence of a possible buyer to safe-guard the club's future.

However judge, Mr Justice Newey accepted a request from Nigel Brunning club finance director for more time to provide evidence to back up his claims about the club being able to pay their debts..The case was adjourned until August the 2nd.

Part 2 after a cup of tea.

I'm sure I read on here yesterday that Junes tax money is not due until the 19th July? or was I reading that wrong?

the thing that worries me more than anything is Ron's absolute arrogance . . . it is clear for all to see that he has desperate problems with most, if not all, of his business interests - and don't even get me started on the movement of funds/debt between those companies

Surely it is about time that someone on the board developed a bit of a backbone and rallied the remainder of the board to topple Martin as it's clear that he is not fit to remain in the position of chairman . . . surely someone within the board can see what's happening, has the clubs interest at heart and does not live in fear of Martin . . . or maybe they don't in which case the end could well be nigh :(

"She argued administration would not destroy the football club, but would allow experienced professionals to go in and run the club to sort out their finances."

I am finding it increasingly difficult to argue against that despite the points deduction.

Unfortunately Ron martin has picked a fight with the wrong person or organisation. Hrmc now sense blood and will not let up intul they get what they want. With blues and rons companies being so much in debt or at the least struggling for cash flow it will be a mean feat to prove to the tax man they we can continue to pay all our bills on an ongoing basis.

Its no surprise that the tax man wanted a winding up order and have now changed there stance and seek temporary administration.

I would suggest that they have had correspondance with the consortium or at the very least that the tax man is aware of the consortium and sees them as a better way to get there money going foward.

Either way if we get put into temporary administration then its good night vienna for Ron , not just for sufc but for all his companies as once they start digging and have access to his accounts he is in the brown stuff.

I suggest he will do everything possible to prove our creditworthyness.

Wait a second, so Sainsburys say 'we will keep funding the club's obligations and debts as they fall due' which basically means now, Sainsburys are in it for the long run now, and will pay all of our debts off. So in my eyes we are basically pretty safe, although, It is just outrageous how a supermarket chain is paying our bills.

A bit from the echo,

Mr Brunning (the clubs finance director, what a ****ing genius this guy must be) said Sainbruy's was holding enough cash to clear the current tax debt, plus a further amount to deal with a winding up petition from the loan company.

The Supermarket will fund the development of the new stadium....WHATTTTTT??????

They slapped an extra £20,000 on the current debt just hours before yesterday's court case.
The echo originally said we gave no defence....i quote 'Mr Brunning added 'We always met what is due to creditors, albeit late. I have only been here a year and a half, but in that time we have taken £2million off the budget and if not for the relegation, we would be in a break-even position next year. It is not at all in the interest of creditors for club to go into admin''

I really don't think we will be in administration or that we will be wound up.

I see this as positive news.

Ron Martin you crafty *******.

It appears that the Tax people are after TefRon and we're copping it thru association. "ALLEGEDLY!" so many problems, delaying tactics in paying outstanding debts and a flair for doing things a different way seems to be one step to far. The winding up order from CharterHouse looks like it could be a tricky one but I reckon and expect TefRon will squeeze thru this latest visit to the courts.
It's never boring supporting Southend, boy is it frustrating but never boring.

Can't see the board doing the rise up bit, they all have to much to loose.

Wait a second, so Sainsburys say 'we will keep funding the club's obligations and debts as they fall due' which basically means now, Sainsburys are in it for the long run now, and will pay all of our debts off. So in my eyes we are basically pretty safe, although, It is just outrageous how a supermarket chain is paying our bills.

A bit from the echo,

Mr Brunning (the clubs finance director, what a ****ing genius this guy must be) said Sainbruy's was holding enough cash to clear the current tax debt, plus a further amount to deal with a winding up petition from the loan company.

The Supermarket will fund the development of the new stadium....WHATTTTTT??????

They slapped an extra £20,000 on the current debt just hours before yesterday's court case.
The echo originally said we gave no defence....i quote 'Mr Brunning added 'We always met what is due to creditors, albeit late. I have only been here a year and a half, but in that time we have taken £2million off the budget and if not for the relegation, we would be in a break-even position next year. It is not at all in the interest of creditors for club to go into admin''

I really don't think we will be in administration or that we will be wound up.

I see this as positive news.

Ron Martin you crafty *******.

Seems that way.

Just wonder if we will end up with Sainsbury's a club sponsor after Insure and Go has finished.

Seems that way.

Just wonder if we will end up with Sainsbury's a club sponsor after Insure and Go has finished.

it will be many years of free sponsorship if, indeed, we are able to pull this off . . . but it must be said, what a coup if we have managed to obtain this level of backing from Sainsbury's

Surely Sainsburys must be asking big questions of Ron... bit like a father to his son... will bail him out but will give him a hard time and tell him not again!

I really do feel Ron's arrogance will cost us here. His constant game playing and infamous 'HMRC bank' quote are coming back to bite us in the bum!

Back