• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Michael Kightly - Was tilly wrong to release him?

• yes

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • no

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
Get out of town! Found out as a forward? You having a laugh? You need reminding of his prowess?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHPb7y4ITKg&feature=related

Really ****es me off watching that video, almost as much as the enjoyment you get out of the montage.

Seriously, what the **** has happened to him. Probably the greatest talent ever seen at RH and now look at him.

Fred, a long shot but if you read this. Get on the ****ing phone to Ron and come home. Take the wage cut on the chin. This is a place where your wanted and needed.

Really ****es me off watching that video, almost as much as the enjoyment you get out of the montage.

Seriously, what the **** has happened to him. Probably the greatest talent ever seen at RH and now look at him.

Fred, a long shot but if you read this. Get on the ****ing phone to Ron and come home. Take the wage cut on the chin. This is a place where your wanted and needed.

Exactly Smiffy! Sometimes you just have to accept you BELONG in a certain place, and that, for Fred, is here!

Didn't get get 16 goals in our Championship season?

Surely thats a decent enough return in a struggling team and suffering from injuries.

Having said that, please come home Freddy and be the hero of Southend again.

16 goals and injured for quite a bit of that season in Champ for us. People say Freds not scoring now, he wont sitting on the bench, then brought on last sat in the 84th min.

I beg to differ - one Mr. Stanley Victor Collymore was in a different class to Fred. I put Fred in the echelon below Stan, along with Ricky Otto and Chrissy Powell.

Matt

Indeed... In the words of the Late, Great Gil Grissom: Evidence doesn't lie. Eastwood has been nowhere near prolific in the Championship whereas, personal problems aside, SVC was devastating for a Liverpool side that would've won the Premiership if it wasn't for the Many Millions of Manchester in the 90's.

Indeed... In the words of the Late, Great Gil Grissom: Evidence doesn't lie. Eastwood has been nowhere near prolific in the Championship whereas, personal problems aside, SVC was devastating for a Liverpool side that would've won the Premiership if it wasn't for the Many Millions of Manchester in the 90's.

Cos he hasn't played that much! As said, he was injured for some time in our Championship season, and then dealt an appalling card at Wolves by MM. Appearances at Coventry are on the basis of a)not being a 1st choice striker and b) being used as more of a winger anyway, so hardly likely to have scored as many.

I'd really like it if someone would work out a decent comparative appearances to goals as ratios or percentages or something for Colly and Fred. That might give us a statistical answer at least.

Cos he hasn't played that much! As said, he was injured for some time in our Championship season, and then dealt an appalling card at Wolves by MM. Appearances at Coventry are on the basis of a)not being a 1st choice striker and b) being used as more of a winger anyway, so hardly likely to have scored as many.

I'd really like it if someone would work out a decent comparative appearances to goals as ratios or percentages or something for Colly and Fred. That might give us a statistical answer at least.

Freddy got 4 goals in 41 starts last season, most of them were from up front (according to my mate who's a Cov STH). Apparently he only just persuaded Coleman that he shouldn't go out on loan... it's make or break for Freddy at the Ricoh

if we take Southend and the 2 clubs after for both players

Stan
SUFC 92-93 30 games 15 goals 1 goal every 2 games
Notts For 93-95 41 goals 63 games 1 goal every 1.58 games
Liverpool 95-97 28 goals in 63 games 1 in every 2.25 games

5 seasons (2 championship 3 prem) 158 games 84 goals @ 1 goal every 1.88 games

Fred

SUFC 04-07 115 games 53 goals 1 every 2.16 games
Wolves 07-08 31 games 3 goals 1 every 10.33 games
Coventry 08-09 47 games 4 goals 1 every 11.75 games

5 seasons (1 league 2 ,1 league 1 , 3 championship) 193 games 60 goals 1 every 3.21 games

Stan scored more goals in the prem than Fred has in his league career (none of which has been in the prem)

Last edited:
Eastwood needs to work out what kind of player he wants to be. He's got his head down at Coventry, worked hard and impressed everyone there with his attitude. But the goals have completely dried up. And with Sam Vokes arriving there now I don't see that changing now that he's moved down to 4th choice.

Fair play to Kights for turning his career around. Much as we'd all have loved to have seen him make it here, I remember there being far more people on here upset at James Lawson's release than they were with Kightly's. Releasing him was probably the right call at the time.

Thanks Gary, for the calculations - it was only the Southend stats I was interested in though, and looking at those there is not a huge amount of difference between them 0.16 of a game.

The fact Stan scored all those goals at that level is, of course, largely due to the quality of player playing alongside and/or providing assists and such like. I don't see that as a massive indicator of his superiority. The managers of the clubs he went to after us used him in much the same way as we had, my point still remains that that is NOT what has happened with Freddy.

I guess it's down to personal preference in the end, and I'll remain loyal to Fred.

I only saw the first half last night, and Kightly looked impressive. He has really developed as a player since he left us.

The decision was right at the time, but he worked incredibly had at Grays to earn himself another chance in the Football League and credit has to go to him. Many players get released from football league Clubs and their careers drift away.

Mick McCarthy deserves credit to. Wolves, at the time, was a Championship Club always aiming to reach the Premiership and he took a massive gamble bringing in a guy from non-league to the Championship when they are chasing Premiership football. Lucky for him it worked a treat and Kightly has gone on to play for England Under 21's and will probably earn Wolves a lot of money in the long run.

Fair play to the lad, but I stand by Tilson's decision that it was right for us to get rid of him.

Back