• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Michael Kightly - Was tilly wrong to release him?

• yes

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • no

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
I would like to say yes, but Tilson WAS right to release him, so Kightly looking better & stronger at Grays while he getting a run in the first team. I was impressed every time I see Grays (while SUFC is away) as M. Kightly starting to look like a non-league version of 'Joe Cole'. If Tilson was looking for a winger & a striker in one from non-league, M. Kightly would be top of his list.

Tilson got it bang on. Kightly wasn't good enough whilst he was with us, after his burst onto the scene he didnt progress on from there if you ask me.

Unfortunately Kightly was too lightweight, and had we stayed in League Two he may have got another year, but we went up and he was never going to cut it in League One.

There's a lot of difference between the conference and league 1 - as Mitch has been finding so far this term. I've seen Kightly play for Grays a few times as well and while he's done well at that level he's shown nothing that says he could cope at this level.

He is another squad player in my eyes, with such a small squad we should have kept him and loaned him out and see if he improves. No he wouldnt have cut it at this level, but that didnt stop james lawson scoring a couple did it? and in my opinion they are similar players. Im sure kightly will find his way back into league football at some point.

Grays Vs Exeter is on Sky Sport live, so an chance for every SUFC to see how good he is on the wings, hope to prove I was right.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Murkey_Mouse @ April 05 2006,09:22)]I would like to say yes, but Tilson WAS right to release him, so Kightly looking better & stronger at Grays while he getting a run in the first team. Ā I was impressed every time I see Grays (while SUFC is away) as M. Kightly starting to look like a non-league version of 'Joe Cole'. Ā If Tilson was looking for a winger & a striker in one from non-league, M. Kightly would be top of his list.
You contradict yourself in that staement.

Very unlucky to get released, but at Southend he was a squad player.
Whereas at Grays he is a first team player.

he was unlucky to get released but then again you are never going to stay at a club where you are not pleying. i always thought kightly had POTENTIAL but was too lightweight to command a starting place

Anyone else watch the Trophy Final today?

Kights was an absolute class above, and I mean a class above. He's looked far, far too good for the Conference this season. He set up both of the Grays goals and looks to have become bigger in stature since he left us and the energy he's got is incredible. 18 goals from the wing is a brilliant return and having seen him get regular football this season it does make you wonder whether this will be the first decision Tilly has made that we might regret a little, afterall I can't see anything that Lawson has got that Kightly hasn't and it makes it strange he wasn't given more time. He'd be a useful prospect to have in the squad IMHO.

Sky were talking him up big time as well and I can't believe that the large amount of League managers no doubt watching the game wouldn't want to take a punt on him.

Other Ex Shrimpers Thurgood and Stuart also played, with Bombhead even coming up with a Ronaldinho esque trick before curling a left foot shot off the far post. Never thought he had it in him!
suspect.gif

Seen Kightly play a few times for Grays, and he's impressed me most of them. Personally, I think he's going to be better than Lawson.
He was excellent today, trouble is he was never going to develop into that sort of player at Southend, as we are playing at too high a level.

Perhaps we should have re-signed him and farmed him out on loan!

I have to say I was very, very impressed with Kightly today and he looked a completely different player to the promising but lightweight one I remembered from a couple of seasons ago. On the basis of that performance and what others have said about him this season I'd be surprised if he was a Grays player for much longer.

Dare I say it, I think Tilly may have released him too prematurely.
wow.gif

Agreed. Kightly was superb for Grays today. When the ex Woking bloke said he thought he would end up back in league football I did wonder if Tilly has considered trying to get him back. The time he's spent in the Conference has served him well.

Tilly did the right thing by the club and the player when he released Kightly. At the time of his departure Kightly had shown promise but it was uncertain if and when the potential would materialise. The lad needed regular first team football to progress and that was not available at Roots Hall. He could have gone out on a season long loan but would Grays or any other club be as tempted to take him for that long knowing they were paying his wages and yet the asset was still ours. Credit must go to Stimmo as well. He saw a lad he could use and most likely thought that with a bit of time and care he would be a nice future profit in the transfer market. Whatever, Southend had to balance its books and needed to pay wages elsewhere. Well done to Kightly for keeping his head together after being released and progressing in the manner in which he has,
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ May 15 2006,08:49)]Tilly did the right thing by the club and the player when he released Kightly. At the time of his departure Kightly had shown promise but it was uncertain if and when the potential would materialise. The lad needed regular first team football to progress and that was not available at Roots Hall. He could have gone out on a season long loan but would Grays or any other club be as tempted to take him for that long knowing they were paying his wages and yet the asset was still ours. Credit must go to Stimmo as well. He saw a lad he could use and most likely thought that with a bit of time and care he would be a nice future profit in the transfer market. Whatever, Southend had to balance its books and needed to pay wages elsewhere. Well done to Kightly for keeping his head together after being released and progressing in the manner in which he has,
rock.gif
Talking total Sense -

Right thing to go for the player and the club....
cool.gif

Back