• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Michael Kightly - Was tilly wrong to release him?

• yes

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • no

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
Fair bloomin' play to the lad. Makes you wonder why we got rid, doesn't it...?

rock.gif

Nah, his career at Southend had completely stagnated. He wasn't getting anywhere close to the first team when he left. I couldn't see him having forced his way into our first team for the last couple of seasons and his career definitely wouldn't have gone forward the way it has had he been stuck in the reserves. It still remains to be seen whether he'll be a success at Wolves or not, but it was definitely the right decision to let him go at the time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Nov. 13 2006,14:20)]Nah, his career at Southend had completely stagnated. He wasn't getting anywhere close to the first team when he left. I couldn't see him having forced his way into our first team for the last couple of seasons and his career definitely wouldn't have gone forward the way it has had he been stuck in the reserves. It still remains to be seen whether he'll be a success at Wolves or not, but it was definitely the right decision to let him go at the time.
Completely agree with that, but like Todd says I would still of got rid of Peanut, I think that the people that know me will find that quite shocking but nevermind.

Alexis

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Nov. 13 2006,22:44)]Mr Peanut. Never heard of him.
He is the mascot for Planters' Peanuts... if you go to the US and buy peanuts, chances are that they'll be made by Planters - and in that case, Mr. Peanut is likely to feature on them.

How's that for random useless information?!

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 14 2006,00:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Nov. 13 2006,22:44)]Mr Peanut. Never heard of him.
He is the mascot for Planters' Peanuts... if you go to the US and buy peanuts, chances are that they'll be made by Planters - and in that case, Mr. Peanut is likely to feature on them.

How's that for random useless information?!

biggrin.gif
And personally feel they are the best, especially the dry roasted.

smile.gif

The one that got away... BBC Article

I wasn't too surprised that he was released from Southend, after all he never really got any sort of run in the team and it was apparent that Tilly didn't see him fitting into his team. However, on the appearances he did make, he showed the skill but just lacked the physique, but he was only young and could always bulk up, which he has done. It would be quite nice to have him as an option these days.

I think he still has a bit of a chip on his shoulder and by the sounds of it, rates Stimmo better than Tilly!?!

He is a stuck up person! Went out with one of my ex girlfriends and had his head so far up his own ****!

Typical footballer, don't wish him any luck at all!

He is a stuck up person! Went out with one of my ex girlfriends and had his head so far up his own ****!

Typical footballer, don't wish him any luck at all!

I've never met a more down to earth footballer. Think you are talking from jealously to be honest.

Kightly was a decent honest lad, and I really hope he hits the big time in the coming years too.

I do love the fact that it's always panto season on ShrimperZone. Anyone who leaves us and then goes on to better themselves elsewhere becomes a villain - especially if they express the view that the Southend hierarchy wasn't all it was cracked up to be. However, anyone who leaves us and remains as sh*te as ever they were suddenly becomes a legend - especially if they then speak fondly on their time at Roots Hall.

Kights definitely falls into the former category, as did Leon Johnson and Nathan Jones, and as has Leon Cort.

Tes, Drrroooo and Bombhead fall very much into the latter category.

I wish Kights every success, and I merely rue the fact that Tilly failed to spot his potential. Tilson is not infallible and does make mistakes - in truly bizarre fashion, despite having been a left midfielder himself, it is his failure to get anything like the best out of the left-wingers under his care (Nicolau, Kightly, Cole) that has been his biggest single failure as manager.

Tilly & Brush have done remarkable things, don't get me wrong. But they have made mistakes too - heck, to err is human, after all. One such mistake was failing truly to allow Kights to fulfil his potetntial. I hope Kights manages to do so at Molineux.

Matt

Back