• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Michael Kightly - Was tilly wrong to release him?

• yes

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • no

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
Thanks Gary, for the calculations - it was only the Southend stats I was interested in though, and looking at those there is not a huge amount of difference between them 0.16 of a game.

The fact Stan scored all those goals at that level is, of course, largely due to the quality of player playing alongside and/or providing assists and such like. I don't see that as a massive indicator of his superiority. The managers of the clubs he went to after us used him in much the same way as we had, my point still remains that that is NOT what has happened with Freddy.

I guess it's down to personal preference in the end, and I'll remain loyal to Fred.

But you also have to take into account quality of the opposition. They weren't in the top flight to make up the numbers. Quality defenders and keepers week in week out.

For whatever reason, Freddy doesn't seem able to find the net against CCC teams.

I wish him well as he did so much for the club but he is not in the same league as Stan.

I only saw the first half last night, and Kightly looked impressive. He has really developed as a player since he left us.

The decision was right at the time, but he worked incredibly had at Grays to earn himself another chance in the Football League and credit has to go to him. Many players get released from football league Clubs and their careers drift away.

Mick McCarthy deserves credit to. Wolves, at the time, was a Championship Club always aiming to reach the Premiership and he took a massive gamble bringing in a guy from non-league to the Championship when they are chasing Premiership football. Lucky for him it worked a treat and Kightly has gone on to play for England Under 21's and will probably earn Wolves a lot of money in the long run.

Fair play to the lad, but I stand by Tilson's decision that it was right for us to get rid of him.

What the **** do you think you're doing talking about Kightly??? This thread is clearly about Eastwood! Isn't it???

and then dealt an appalling card at Wolves by MM. Appearances at Coventry are on the basis of a)not being a 1st choice striker

The fact Stan scored all those goals at that level is, of course, largely due to the quality of player playing alongside and/or providing assists and such like. I don't see that as a massive indicator of his superiority.

I guess it's down to personal preference in the end, and I'll remain loyal to Fred.

I am at a loss as to where to start here! I appreciate that everyone is entitled to an opinion but, dear lord, this one is frankly bordering on insane!

Having read your posts before I am aware that you have watched SUFC for many years and can, therefore, only assume that you saw SVC play in the flesh. If so, to think that Fred is even close in talent is nuts.

You've made comments about Fred being used on the wing because he is not 1st choice striker at Coventry... do you really think that SVC would have failed to hold down a starting spot up front for Coventry or Wolves?? Fred, simply, has not done the business at Wolves or Coventry... Stan was incredible at Notts Forest and, at times, Liverpool.

With regard to you comparing Fred's SUFC record with Stan's, ALL Stan's games were at a higher level (and, despite this, he still managed a better scoring rate with SUFC!). Fred, however, scored many of his goals for us in League 2 and 1. As for Stan's goals being due to the quality around him, our team was having a 'mare when Stan joined and couldn't string 2 passes together. I'll grant you that Stan went on to play with a higher calibre of player but, quite simply, his talent earnt him that right. Fred, however, was a great lower league striker but has simply failed to produce consistently in the Championship (and even the most blindly loyal of supporters would surely agree that he'd be hopelessly outclassed in the Premiership.... unlike Stan).

I really can't understand how anyone considering this objectively could conclude that Fred was even close i ability to Stan. If you are still not convinced...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TccRjqE-20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oU7XAr3BPg&feature=related

Bear in mind that, whilst Fred has scored some great goals, he hasn't scored them regularly against top opposition.

OBL.... This isn't an attack on you, just think that your opinion on this is bollocks (made even worse by the fact that you actually saw Stan play for SUFC... his ability was miles above anything else I've ever seen in a SUFC shirt).

Oh, and Sawyer is better than Macca ;) :net:

Right... back to Kightly. He's quite good isn't he!!

OBL.... This isn't an attack on you, just think that your opinion on this is bollocks (made even worse by the fact that you actually saw Stan play for SUFC... his ability was miles above anything else I've ever seen in a SUFC shirt).

Oh, and Sawyer is better than Macca ;) :net:

Right... back to Kightly. He's quite good isn't he!!

Thank you for your courtesy, it makes a rare change for someone to disagree so vehemently and still be polite about it!

Yes, I saw him play, not regularly as that was a barren spell for me with regard to football so maybe there is a slight prejudice with having seen more of Fred's play live. Freddy excited me more than anyone else I've seen, when he got the ball you just expected something to happen....and it did, time and time again. At the end of the day though, it's down to personal preference so I can prefer Freddy and Macca while you can prefer Stan and Sawyer - same as Wiggy can prefer Flavs over any other GK we've ever had.

And yes, Kightly is quite good :)

OBL = Wiggy
How%20very%20dare%20you%20Badge%20-%201%20Catherine%20Tate%20pin%20dvd.jpg

Having read your posts before I am aware that you have watched SUFC for many years and can, therefore, only assume that you saw SVC play in the flesh. If so, to think that Fred is even close in talent is nuts.

I am Matthias van den Shrijmp, and I endorse this post.

:)

Top lad is Kight's, I played midfield with him @ Basildon United the season he signed for the Blues. He is a credit to his mum and proof that putting in hard work pays off in training and off field dedication. Used to play for Bas then head over to the McDonalds drive thru for a shift by the A127.

Was a genuine Southend (More Spurs) fan and watched the side before his rapid rise through the youth and reserve ranks at Roots Hall. Shame he never stayed and was released, although he may have never reached the Premiership and England u/21 honours had he not 'manned up' @ Grays. Still feel Tilly made a boo boo letting him go (a la Hooper)

At Wolves he was a big player in their promotion season two years ago but injury struck and think tonight was his first premiership start. Think Wolves will go down but hope he makes it back to the Premier league and somewhere near the form that attracted Sir Alex to have him watched.

Scored a peach of a goal yesterday for Wolves against Bolton. And was interviewed after the game on Match of the day. Wonder who will snap him up if (when) Wolves go down. He would easily be one of the first who would be attracting attention of a host of premiership clubs. He was deadly yesterday for Wolves and if they put away the chances he created would not have lost.

He's had a great run in the side recently too.

Not sure he could do it for anyone much higher than Wolves level, but see someone like a Wigan or Bolton being interested - or whoever comes up.

Looks a tidy little player though, when he gets going. Fair play to him - I was glad when we released him as he always seemed kack.

Looks a tidy little player though, when he gets going. Fair play to him - I was glad when we released him as he always seemed kack.

Now I'll be the first to admit I'm no great judge of talent, but in the case of Kightly on the few occasions I saw him play for us I really liked him! had a fair bit of skill and was very quick. Was a bit lightweight but was only young. I was really disappointed when we let him go and its been no surprise to me he came good.

Mind you I thought Barrington Belgrave had something about him as well, so what do I know..!

Back