• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

My main worry, in just a few words is that Tilly is only after 3 players. That to me, is a BIG concern. For us to acheive anything near success, we need at least 6 players in. Had i have known we'd only been making 3 more additions, i doubt i'd have bothered with a season ticket this season. Im certainly no huge fan of Friday night games - so thats hardly helping the cause!

Kev

As usual, we're on the same train of thought.

I'm hoping the 3 mentioned are permanent signings, topped up by a loan or 2, but that's probably me trying to be hopeful. If we only get 3 then we'll either have absolutely no cover at centre half, or we're going to do without having a left sided midfielder. AGAIN. And then we'll be back to the same stupid square peg in a round hole situation.

I'm also thinking we need 6. Yes it would bulk the squad up but I'd get rid of a couple of the squad anyway. Starting pronto with a Mr James Walker. Might as well get it over with now rather than trying to palm him off on someone in November after he's done sod all for us.

I agree about the strikers. I would bet my mortage that Walker, Barney and Freedman spend more time on the treatment table than on the pitch this season. Defenders are a priority but we could really do with shipping out 2 or 3 of our strikers, if not now then in January (although they will probably never pass a medical).

I think one of these strikers will 'explode' on the league one scene and we will once again be promoted as champions. All the ingredients are there (and I'm including the pacy Estonian and Dutchman with excellent positional sense in my estimation) but we just need to bake the SUFC 'cake' at the right temperature and for the correct amount of time. If not I fear the results could be a soggy middle or a crispy burned out top. Also I'm trusting that Tilly doesn't forget the yeast (maybe an extra creative midfielder) so that the mixtures rises under heat. If not we'll have to rely on Kevin Betsy.

Don't, for heaven's sake, light a match.........with all that gas from the oven,
the results could be disastrous!

Just had a quick read through parts of it and have taken it on board, i did originally put this up on a football forum with little response but i think i forgot to take Michael Husbands out as i did on the other one so that's a mistake on my behalf. The reason i mentioned those specific players was because they were the ones that came to my mind first and cost more than the others although i think that Garry Richards cost £100,000 yet he did make 14 appearances and was sold for an undiscloed fee to Gillingham which is why i didn't include him.

Interesting piece, some of it very well written, although as mentioned by others, maybe some of the comment is inappropriate if you're genuinely interested in following a career in journalism. .

I hardly think future employers will be scouring Shrimperzone for his previous oeuvre.

A very interesting article but some of the points I disagree with slightly -

* I think measuring strikers performance just on number of goals scored can be a touch misleading. As an example, Berbatov scored only 9 goals for Man Utd last season but he had a good season because he was involved in a lot of their goals. I think both Lee Bradbury and Matt Harrold (to a lesser extent) were involved in a lot more goals than they scored.

* You quote a number of incomings to the clubs accounts (some of which seem to be inaccurate) but you fail to quote the increasing outgoings that we have had with players on Championship wages and falling attendances etc.

* I think to call James Walker "crap" without any justification is a poor piece of journalism. I think he has definitely got some potential and he is a decent finisher. No wonder he struggles with confidence when people write things like that about him. I don't think any further signings in the attacking area are necessary when we are limited to the number of signings we will be able to make.

In terms of signings in general, I always think 2 goalkeepers, 7 defenders, 7 midfielders and 5 strikers is a minimum number of players that you need to have enough depth.

That would leave us needing 3 defenders (LB and CBx2) and one midfielder.

i think that Garry Richards cost £100,000 yet he did make 14 appearances and was sold for an undiscloed fee to Gillingham which is why i didn't include him.

You've got a few of the fees wrong, this one included. Richards cost in the region of £50,000 and was sold for a small profit.

I hardly think future employers will be scouring Shrimperzone for his previous oeuvre.

Obviously, but he asked for feedback and I was not the first to mention this aspect of the article, yet you choose my comment to remark on.

I don't think either of the posters who commented on that thought that they might. Feedback is for the purpose of future correction, surely?

You say that, but when Jonny Stokes applied to join Ladbrokes I did tell the poker team to check out the **** he spouts on here. They read it and still employed the orient slag. Mugs.

Having just scanned through it, one of the things that jumped out at me was saying we released Matt Harrold on a free. IIRC we sold him to Wycombe, therefore got some of our money back. Don't know how much though.

Kev/Andy_S, I imagine the 3 signings mentioned are permenant ones, topped up by the odd loan or two to fill in the gaps. I imagine it will be a LB, CB and either a LW or Lee Sawyer.

This brings us finally onto our attackers. James Walker is crap, to be frank, :)

Echo said:
But Robinson’s departure will give players already at the club more opportunities to impress and that includes the fit-again James Walker.
The former Charlton Athletic trainee, who joined the Shrimpers in February 2008, missed the final four months of last season with a hamstring injury.
However, he is now back to full fitness and Tilson is hoping the 21-year-old can start to impress on a more consistent basis.
“We’ve seen glimpses of what James can do and he certainly does have fantastic ability,” said Tilson.
“He has a lot of pace and hopefully he can have a good season for us.”

Can I plead with all fans, regardless of your personal opinion of James Walker, to get completely behind him this season. If Tilly is backing him, as he clearly is, then it is our responsibility to give him every opportunity to achieve the potential that Tilly sees in him, and Tilly has surely earned the right to have us respect his opinion on his players.

Great article and enjoyed reading it although, unless I missed it , you didn't mention the greatest signing folly that was Richie Foran. On the basis we were prepared to pay £250,000 for a player so lacking in skill, speed, heading ability and general football nowce still sends shivers down my spine to think back to it. The guy had scored goals yes but mainly from the penalty spot. I've banged on about a certain Aaron Mclean who at the time was performing well at grays and was snapped up from under our noses by Peterbough and scored 33 goals for them last season to get them promoted. For those who said he would never perform at a higher level, all I can say is, I think you've been proved wrong and just watch him go next season in the championship...a place where we would still be had we been brave enough to splash our cash on a non league sensation rather than Motherwells donkey.

a pretty poorly researched poorly executed piece.

Can't disagree with that. In fact I switched off reading by half way as there was too many basic errors and bizarre opinions. Also, deigning to presume greater knowledge of players and transfers than a highly successful manager seems a bit off.

That said, fair play for your effort, and I think as Slipperduke has said previously, the best way to improve is to keep writing things. I just think you are way off the mark with this one.

Yeah there are times when he seems to fluff at the ball, or even fall over it. Can be very frustrating.

But then there are times like Oldham (H), Luton (H) and Orient (A) when he does make contact and has scored some good goals.

I stand by saying he deserves more of a chance, and hopefully with more confidence will come more goals.
Agree that I think James should start the first 4/5 matches, I think it would certainly boost his confidence.

Can I plead with all fans, regardless of your personal opinion of James Walker, to get completely behind him this season. If Tilly is backing him, as he clearly is, then it is our responsibility to give him every opportunity to achieve the potential that Tilly sees in him, and Tilly has surely earned the right to have us respect his opinion on his players.
Definitely ACU. Hopefully everyone will have forgotten what happened last season and move on to pastures new.

After all, if Tilly thinks he's got it then that's good enough for me.

Agree that I think James should start the first 4/5 matches, I think it would certainly boost his confidence.

Definitely ACU. Hopefully everyone will have forgotten what happened last season and move on to pastures new.

After all, if Tilly thinks he's got it then that's good enough for me.

I hate to say it, but i dont think some sections of our so called support will give him that long, if he aint scored a hattrick in the first 5 mins then he is buggered!

Back