• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Both Hooper and Paynter weren't given enough backing and look what happened to them, 30+ goals combined last season.

I think Walker needs everyone to get behind him, give him belief and hopefully the goals will materialise from there.

Lets not forget the guy had a problem with his heart, which must have come as a massive shock to him, especially at such a young age in his career.

Get him fit, get some goals in the friendlies and then hope that he can fufil his potential this year.

Both Hooper and Paynter weren't given enough backing and look what happened to them, 30+ goals combined last season.

I think Walker needs everyone to get behind him, give him belief and hopefully the goals will materialise from there.

Lets not forget the guy had a problem with his heart, which must have come as a massive shock to him, especially at such a young age in his career.

Get him fit, get some goals in the friendlies and then hope that he can fufil his potential this year.

Just got a sneaky feeling,Eddie murphy might just do the business this season,fingers crossed.

I think thats being a bit harsh on Hooper i think he got about 27 last season,paynter about 3?.
Agreed with Walker though his definitely a confidence player.
People forget his only about 21 not much older than Herd.

I think thats being a bit harsh on Hooper i think he got about 27 last season,paynter about 3?.

Not sure of the exact number but paynter got about 11 or 12.

I agree with a few others about Walker. He needs to be given a run in the team. Half a dozen games in which he knows that he'll play the next week even if he doesn't score. Gary Hooper never got given that run and whilst I don't think that Walker is good enough in front of goal to replicate Hooper's success elsewhere he's very clearly a confidence player.

I agree with a few others about Walker. He needs to be given a run in the team. Half a dozen games in which he knows that he'll play the next week even if he doesn't score. Gary Hooper never got given that run and whilst I don't think that Walker is good enough in front of goal to replicate Hooper's success elsewhere he's very clearly a confidence player.

*waits to be proven wrong* I'm sure Hooper had a couple of extended runs in the team. I think the problem was that a couple of times he got a couple of goals and then was dropped again.

FFs i can't belive the old Hooper soap opera is going to be played out AGAIN

He was ****ing **** for us ... 4 goals in 44 games ???

We MOVED on !!!!

*waits to be proven wrong* I'm sure Hooper had a couple of extended runs in the team. I think the problem was that a couple of times he got a couple of goals and then was dropped again.

He was given a few games and pretty much every time he looked average at best. Never showed anything here to suggest he would ever be anything other than a backup striker at league 1 level.

He was given a few games and pretty much every time he looked average at best. Never showed anything here to suggest he would ever be anything other than a backup striker at league 1 level.

Indeed, I completely agree. What I'm saying is that he was given chances and didn't perform (his stats show that), however the few times he did score he often didn't get much of a chance afterwards (deservedly IMO because better players were often returning from injury). It's a shame he didn't make it with us, but Tilly gave him more than enough chances... plus his break into League footy

haha I didn't mean to start the Hooper debate off again, honest!

For what it's worth the longest run of games that Hoops had was four in October 2007. He scored one in those four matches and was taken off in the second half in the other three. The next longest run was three matches, which was the final three matches before we loaned him to Hereford and which he only played in because he was the only fit striker we had. I know other disagree but IMO that is not giving a player a chance. Hooper and Walker are both young, both depend on confidence, both are highly rated by their teammates and both have done well at other Clubs except ours. I think it's fair to compare the two and as much as I hope that Walker has learned from Theo Robinson, I hope that Tilly has learned from what happened with Gary Hooper.

No, Beefy, I agree. Hooper played a few games, but not really given a decent chance - if Walker or Scannell are to be given a chance it needs to be longer than that.

dammit Beefy, I always start of disagreeing with you, but then end up convinced. You're so persuasive!

Shame there's always that tension between playing players and getting results. I'm sure Tilly would have liked to give Hooper longer, but there are a million other choices he has to make too... and he doesn't have the benefit of hindsight

dammit Beefy, I always start of disagreeing with you, but then end up convinced. You're so persuasive!

Shame there's always that tension between playing players and getting results. I'm sure Tilly would have liked to give Hooper longer, but there are a million other choices he has to make too... and he doesn't have the benefit of hindsight

Beefy's member name should be "The Voice of Reason".

SPOT ON - Jimmy Walker is only 21 - So lets give him a break and get behind him.

Personally i would love to see him play out wide and use his pace there, but happy for to play upfront.

SPOT ON - Jimmy Walker is only 21 - So lets give him a break and get behind him.

Personally i would love to see him play out wide and use his pace there, but happy for to play upfront.

Unless we sign or loan a winger i think him and Moussa are gonna rotate on the LW this season(less pressure on wing).Maybe the more attacking Walker at home and defensive Moussa away?

Not meaning to massively argue, but Hooper was never given the same amount of consecutive starts as Walker has already been given. Fact.

The reason Walker will never amount to anything is because he has no footballing brain. The odd flash of quality (Orient) doesn't really make up for the amount of times he breaks up our own attacks. The amount of times he picks up the ball, runs forward whilst looking down at the ball not once looking up, before running straight into a player who isn't even moving is comical.

I'll admit he looked better on the wing, but I don't think the management will ever really use him there for an extended amount of time, thus he'll be stuck up front running into centre halves more often than not.

Not meaning to massively argue, but Hooper was never given the same amount of consecutive starts as Walker has already been given. Fact.

The reason Walker will never amount to anything is because he has no footballing brain. The odd flash of quality (Orient) doesn't really make up for the amount of times he breaks up our own attacks. The amount of times he picks up the ball, runs forward whilst looking down at the ball not once looking up, before running straight into a player who isn't even moving is comical.

I'll admit he looked better on the wing, but I don't think the management will ever really use him there for an extended amount of time, thus he'll be stuck up front running into centre halves more often than not.

Can't argue much with that except to say that maybe he can develop a footballing brain. He is still very young and does have some ability, pace, and looks strong and athletic enough.

It was apparent on a few occassions that Freedman was actually coaching JW on the pitch. OK the lessons weren't necessarily sinking in but I wouldn't give up on the guy yet.

Maybe we'll see just how good T&B are at coaching!

Back