• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kenny

Thailand Shrimper
I see Nathan Jones featured on the left for Brighton today in their 1-0 play off final victory.

Must have been quite buzz for the fella winning at the Millenium Stadium.

Chuffed for Jones,allways liked the guy on the pitch,especially from the bird he got from his early games by the crowd,but he battled on to be come a very very good player.

Don't think division one will hold any fear for him.

Oh please don't start the Judas debate again !!!!
tounge.gif

I know this is a bit untopical, seeing as the season proper has started now and this relates to a friendly match from a couple of weeks ago, but I have only just joined this Forum. I would be interested in knowing people's views on why it seems to be almost de rigeur to barrack ex players, including those who have given us pleasure over the years.

The number of ex-players who have come back and played against Southend for opposition teams and been applauded is very small. I can only really think of Stan Collymore and Chris Powell in recent times.

I don't really understand the nasty barracking of Nathan Jones at the Brighton game. I generally enjoyed watching him, and he scored one of the goals of the season for us in May 2000 (I think against Cheltenham in the last match of the season, leading to a 2-1 win). Perhaps it was because he then had the impertinence to change job (ie move to another team.) I was chatting to a guy in the drinks queue at half time, who said he hated him for leaving the Blues and going to Brighton. Life really is too short for that.

I don't mind the cheerful barracking, perhaps even the odd ironic "Southend reject" cry (although it is usually directed at players who have decided to move on themselves, rather than having been released / rejected). But just because Nathan moved on to Brighton, when we wanted him to stay, that did not warrant the abuse he got in the Brighton friendly. For goodness sake, it was four years ago that he moved. Some of the kids around me who were booing him were probably only just out of nappies when he left.... Kids learn what they live, they copy those who apparently are older and wiser.... Teach your children well, as Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young used to sing.

I wonder what response either of the two Leons would get if they happened to visit the Hall with their respective teams in a cup game this season? We should be grateful to both of them. Leon Cort had some fine games for us  (although last season was a bit disappointing by his previous standards), and without Leon Constantine's goals, we would be watching Conference football this year. Is that so quickly forgotten in people's memories?

Ah well, light blue touch paper and retire....

Barnabas

What I find annoying is when the kids in W block take it upon themselves to abuse ex fringe Southend players.

Songs such as "David Morely is a w**ker" are pathetic and embarrass every one of us.

Dave Morley certainly was a 'fringe' player- remember that sterling Inspiral carpets bowl-cut when he first joined? I'll never forget his maracas or love-beads.

On-U Morley in the area

Agree with you both on this one.  If you have to slag an ex- player off for no real reason at least try and do it with some wit and humour!  Everyone has a right to change jobs and improve themselves.  I've really only got angry at the Fat Controller when he's returned for comments he made about the club, ex-players are just not worth the effort.  (& they usually have the last laugh anyway by scoring against us!)

I don't understand why people BOO danny webb when hes the son of our best ever manager and was always 100% commited to southend.

hes quite similar to drewe and in a few years time will be one of the best league 2 target men

I find it quite interesting to trace the career paths of some of our better and less able players.  Some of them like David Lee thought he would go where the $$ was then did not make the team.  Martin Curruthers still haunts us now and again. Neville Roach bounced all over the world. Now where? Lets roll with some and see if we can trace a buch.

Anyone else, apart from the Che lovers, think Nathan Jones would be a brilliant resigning by us for next season. I think he's one part of the jigsaw missing giving excellent options on the left hand side both defending and going forward.

I certainly have missed the Nathen Jones stepover that seemed to bamboozle all opposition defenders, and as I am not a big fan of Che i wouldn't be against the possibliity of him coming back, but did he leave on good terms or not when he went to Brighton.
I seem to remember him playing for Brighton against us at the Whitdean on New Years day and all the other people in the stand who didn't feel like they were going to throw up everytime they spoke booing him constantly.
Also how old is he now and what sort of wages would he have been on at Brighton?

When we played Brighton pre-season, he didn't look all that good to me. But still we need to address the left back situation, even as back up for Che? We need a left back and if he's avaiable then why not? If his wages are reasonable then defintaly a good option.

With Jones, Bramble and Flahavan in the side next season I wonder where we'd finish?.
sad.gif

A return for Nathan Jones?! You have got to be joking!! Apart from a couple of party-tricks and a class goal v Cheltenham (and let's be honest, most of our players have scored at least one class goal in their time, even Kevin Maher), Jones brought very little to our game and I can't see him solving any issues ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yorkshire Bambi @ May 14 2005,19:14)]I certainly have missed the Nathen Jones stepover that seemed to bamboozle all opposition defenders, and as I am not a big fan of Che i wouldn't be against the possibliity of him coming back, but did he leave on good terms or not when he went to Brighton.
I seem to remember him playing for Brighton against us at the Whitdean on New Years day and all the other people in the stand who didn't feel like they were going to throw up everytime they spoke booing him constantly.
Also how old is he now and what sort of wages would he have been on at Brighton?
He is 32 on the 28th of may!!!

Jeez, why is that when an ex Southend player becomes available some fans think that 1. The player would want to return to Roots Hall and 2. We would want them back.

There are other players out there!

Started this topic on 14th May but it appears to have been removed! Nathan Jones has been released by Brighton and I, for one, believe he would be one of the missing pieces of the current squad. Able to operate down the left defending and attacking, excellent delivery, and I believe would prove to be a valuable resigning. I believe that Lewis Hunt, when and if fit, must play in front of Jupp, we look more solid both defending and attacking with him, the defence looks more confident, and his passing is far better than Jupps. Nathan Jones would offer the same option on the left.

Back