• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New manager

Fair comments for and against Brown staying or going here. But can we have a moment of reflection for a second?

Totally get that the manager takes responsibility for results. Also understand the chairman is responsible for running the club. Neither are currently going particularly well, so both are quite rightly taking a hammering. However, am I the only one who thinks the players seem to have been completely neglected in responsibility for the shocking start to the season?

In all honesty, I’m massively frustrated not JUST because of the results. It’s the fact that for me the players are more than capable of being a strong outfit in this division, but collectively are completely underperforming.

Now, of course PB is responsible for getting the best out of the players, and don’t get me wrong - he is completely underperforming too. But ultimately, the performances against Kings Lynn, Stockport and Wrexham are indicative of what those can do - even in the highly questionable 3-5-2.

Frankly, it’s easy to just all shout that it’s Ron’s fault (and yes, in some respects it is). But let’s be objective for a minute. The team are badly letting us as supporters down with mediocre performances. That isn’t wholly the managers fault, it isn’t wholly the chairman’s fault either. They need to take some ownership too frankly.

Let me give you an example. Egbri. Excellent work rate, excellent attitude, all round good character. Loved what I saw at Meet The Blues Day. Model pro. Wish only the best for him. Terrible end product though. Nowhere near good enough. Letting the team down. Get working on it!

Coulson. Great passion, desire, leadership. At times excellent distribution. Fitness levels? Borderline embarrassing. Genuinely I’m significantly fitter and I’m not paid to play sport. Get your running shoes out man! Get your spikes on. Letting the team down.

No personal slight to those two by the way - every one of them has a similar report

FWIW I think the personnel are the right ones, players and manager there. Probably in the minority there. But my goodness they need to pull their head out of their backsides ad change this entitlement attitude.

We are Southend United and we are a National League club. It’s no longer about the good ol days with Eastwood battering in goals for fun and terrorising defences. That’s all gone and in the past.

We as fans for the most part have acknowledged this. I fear the management and players have not. But the reality is, we play Solihull in two weeks and we are not a ‘scalp’ nor a ‘cup final’ for anyone. We are just another National League team and we are going to have to go toe to toe at 100% to compete. The sooner the players and staff realise that, the sooner we will start getting results.

The ability is there, but the mindset is not. This mini-break is where that mindset needs to change.
I agree with your sentiments with the players letting us down to poor skills or fitness etc and it is the job the management to train and coach, something that some managers are poor at doing like Phil is so they recruit the necessary staff to cover where they are lacking. He said wants to run everything football related but is not performing and not addressed these problems.

I don’t expect us to win each game but expect us to be competitive in each, some of the performances have be terrible regardless of the result with either kick direct and hope for the best with no supporting midfielder, or eventually get it to a wide man and then pass it around before we make a mistake with a wayward pass

To counter that I refer you to the following though...Matt Harrold, Billy Paynter, James Walker and Richie Foran
First two had good careers elsewhere, Walker was not that bad in comparison with current standards and was actually a decent foil for Barnard as we made the play offs that season. Foran was successful before he joined us and had a long period at Inverness after he left even becoming their manager. The point with Tilson’s signings was that even if they weren’t brilliant for us they invariably went on to have decent careers. Or they weren’t brilliant players career wise but their most successful spell was with us. Tilson was the best judge of a player we’ve had since Webb left in early 90s

Last edited:
Brown has to go now before it is too late.
His signings, his stubbornness, his tactics, his mouth, his outdated ideas mean that he is unbelievably worse than Mark Molesley and will only get worse. Cannot see us winning another game with him running the show with his marathons and punishments…..god he’s clueless!

Currie seems the best choice at the moment. As for compensation, he may have some sort of clause in his contract that allows him to leave for a senior management job should it arise.
That might just apply for football league clubs not non league

One thing I find curious about Phil is that he’s just about the only manager that comes in and works with the existing coaches and back room staff. Managers always seem to bring at least one or two trusted sidekicks along with them and of course MM had a bus full of them. I don’t have any conclusion to draw from that it’s just unusual.

Fair comments for and against Brown staying or going here. But can we have a moment of reflection for a second?

Totally get that the manager takes responsibility for results. Also understand the chairman is responsible for running the club. Neither are currently going particularly well, so both are quite rightly taking a hammering. However, am I the only one who thinks the players seem to have been completely neglected in responsibility for the shocking start to the season?

In all honesty, I’m massively frustrated not JUST because of the results. It’s the fact that for me the players are more than capable of being a strong outfit in this division, but collectively are completely underperforming.

Now, of course PB is responsible for getting the best out of the players, and don’t get me wrong - he is completely underperforming too. But ultimately, the performances against Kings Lynn, Stockport and Wrexham are indicative of what those can do - even in the highly questionable 3-5-2.

Frankly, it’s easy to just all shout that it’s Ron’s fault (and yes, in some respects it is). But let’s be objective for a minute. The team are badly letting us as supporters down with mediocre performances. That isn’t wholly the managers fault, it isn’t wholly the chairman’s fault either. They need to take some ownership too frankly.

Let me give you an example. Egbri. Excellent work rate, excellent attitude, all round good character. Loved what I saw at Meet The Blues Day. Model pro. Wish only the best for him. Terrible end product though. Nowhere near good enough. Letting the team down. Get working on it!

Coulson. Great passion, desire, leadership. At times excellent distribution. Fitness levels? Borderline embarrassing. Genuinely I’m significantly fitter and I’m not paid to play sport. Get your running shoes out man! Get your spikes on. Letting the team down.

No personal slight to those two by the way - every one of them has a similar report

FWIW I think the personnel are the right ones, players and manager there. Probably in the minority there. But my goodness they need to pull their head out of their backsides ad change this entitlement attitude.

We are Southend United and we are a National League club. It’s no longer about the good ol days with Eastwood battering in goals for fun and terrorising defences. That’s all gone and in the past.

We as fans for the most part have acknowledged this. I fear the management and players have not. But the reality is, we play Solihull in two weeks and we are not a ‘scalp’ nor a ‘cup final’ for anyone. We are just another National League team and we are going to have to go toe to toe at 100% to compete. The sooner the players and staff realise that, the sooner we will start getting results.

The ability is there, but the mindset is not. This mini-break is where that mindset needs to change.

A well thought out post however I think you have answered your own question.

The two examples you give sum everything up.

Egbri - He would have been working on his 'end product' since he's been playing football. If he isn't able to produce by now it's because he has limited ability and his strength is running around a lot and breaking up the play. If that's not what we need right now (and it isn't) then he's the wrong player.

Coulson - 32 years of age and has the look of someone who has the composure and skill to play at this level but who's legs have gone. How is getting out and working on his speed at fitness going to help? He hasn't got it anymore and at 32 you're not going to get it back. Again, wrong type of player for our situation.

The squad has been assembled to do a specific job, to compete in a physical league. If we've got the wrong sort of squad of players, most of which have recently joined, then that's just appalling recruitment.

Last edited:
We can keep changing managers and might get lucky eventually but change is needed at the very top.

Martin isnt fit to run the club. The accounts, the decisions on managers, the lack of paying players and bills and the way roots hall has been left to rot, all show that.

Kevin Maher is looking for a Manager's job.. knows the youngsters, knows the club, doesn't like commuting to Bristol...

Alongside a Tilson / Bentley / Clark i'd be pretty happy with that.
And like Mary Poppins he would be practically perfect in every way. Just show the team the 5-0 QPR match in full. I’d have that down as Kev’s finest 90 minutes for Southend.

I think all of them are smart enough to avoid working with Ron Martin.

And this is the issue.

Any manager worth his salt would not come near our club with Martin involved.

He goes and we are clean slated in football circles. More attractive immediately.

Id love another duo in that are proper blues through and through. Maher and Tilly, with Tilly being assistant would be ideal.

Back