• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
I covered this game last night, and if you didn't see it then congratulations. It was truly awful and a shocking example of the way the game has gone in the top flight. Here's the report, have a read and be thankful that Southend aren't in the Premier League!

"What do you do with a problem called Arsenal? It's a conundrum that's been foxing football managers since Arsene Wenger arrived in the country. The answer, according to Steve Coppell, is to draw an imaginary line just in front of your own penalty area and, come Hleb or high water, keep as many players behind it as you can.

It's difficult to criticise Reading for their tactics because it's difficult to see what choice they had. Was it really worth coming out to play and risking a sound beating? When a football team is battling to stay out of the relegation zone, success depends on confidence. Ask Wigan and Derby how confident they're feeling after shipping nine goals between them this weekend.

Besides which, Reading sat deep and absorbed Manchester United for 90 minutes back in August, so why shouldn't they try the same here?

Well, because firstly when you play so deep that it would make Jacques Cousteau's ears pop it doesn't make for good entertainment and I truly pity the thousands of supporters who paid at least SG$100 to sit in the freezing cold and watch this. And secondly, of course, if it doesn't work, you get a sound beating anyway. Reading fans must be wondering if Premier League football is really worth it, if they have to sit through much more of this dirge.

For every game I cover for The New Paper, I have a spiral bound note pad on which I write every single incident of note and every possible talking point that I can use for the final feature. I get through a lot of notepads. Moments before the half-time whistle of this encounter I had two solitary lines of text and some nice doodles of spaceships.

Matthieu Flamini's opening goal finally forced me to do something constructive with my biro. It was the Frenchman's first strike in almost a year and he seemed rather pleased about it. Those neutrals who made the mistake of watching this game would not have shared his joy, as the scruffy toe-poke effectively ended this game as a contest.

At one point in the second half, Arsenal strung almost two minutes worth of consecutive passes together without advancing more than a couple of yards. They kept passing the ball square and Reading kept all of their players behind that imaginary line. It could have gone on all night and I am forever indebted to Kolo Toure for picking up the ball 40 yards out and going on a pointless loping run towards the goal

When, with just over ten minutes left, Hleb ambled into the penalty area and took the ball around Marcus Hahnemann at walking pace, it became officially 'embarrassing to watch'.

You can't blame Reading too much for their tactics as their entire existence is dependent on survival in the top flight. The financial abyss of relegation would obviously mean that this squad would be stripped apart and sold piece by piece. But it would also mean the demise of some of the unseen figures behind the club, the ticket sellers, the press officers, the ground staff, all of whom inevitably lose their jobs when a Premier League side is dumped out of the big time.

But at some point, someone is going to realise that there have been too many non-contests this season. Too many packed midfields and deep lying defenders. Too many fans paying too much money to watch too much dross. Arsenal were the winners here, but ultimately, if the cost of relegation remains so high that it prohibits the playing of the game itself, football as a whole will be the loser. "

but ultimately, if the cost of relegation remains so high that it prohibits the playing of the game itself, football as a whole will be the loser.

And therein lies the problem with the Premier League.

I watched the first fifteen minutes of this last night but retired to the pub's pool table as it was so dire. Reading that confirms my decision was the correct one! :p

i watched this, and was only left with one burning question when i opened the Sun this morning...

How did Arsenal only have 56% possesion??

And therein lies the problem with the Premier League.

I agree the premier$hite is wrong, but the problems lie deeper than that. The Fourth & Upwards Cup Knockout & European Revenue Securing League will prevent English football ever being competitive. By finishing a mere fourth in the "EPL", you get a guaranteed 6 ****ERS games (assuming you win your qualifier, for which you also get paid, but these are all seeded to ensure the "right" results anyway). You then have to finish in the top 2 to get guaranteed more games, and if you lose you get more revenue from the UEFA Cup.

Its basically a cartel, designed to keep the rich clubs rich and its killing football.

Platini, to his credit, tried to sow the seeds of reform but has been blocked by the vested interests of the G14.

This is all killing English (and European) football as competitions. How can it be a competition if it is no longer competitive?

ps Slipper mate, be careful of killing the golden goose. I agree entirely with you, but you've got to think of your career as well.

Reading, to be fair, have beaten all the bad teams this season, scraped one result at Old Trafford and generally been very poor against all other opposition. They were rubbish against Wigan when they were 'attacking' and frankly, they shouldn't have won that game.

Whilst I agree that the financial abyss of relegation (or is it? Watford, by not bothering to try and stay up, have done rather well from it and I imagine Derby might too) has meant that there are more of this sort of game, let's not pretend that it doesn't happen at every tier of the English league (and probably every other professional league in the world). Remember the day Chester came to town and choked everything we did bar a solitary Lawrie Dudfield strike? Remember Cambridge trying to swamp the midfield in teh same season and suffering the same fate as Reading?

It is a massive shame to see a team intent on only defending at home but this is as much a credit to the craft with which Wenger has moulded his team to become almost unplayabale.

Perhaps the biggest shame in the Premiership is that the man who was awarded Abramovich's millions to spend (well, the one who was actually given time anyway) was interesting as a character but never on a team sheet. Chelsea showed that 1-0 wins can win you the league.

I watched it and agree it was a very poor match - if adebayor's 3rd minute strike against the post had gone in we may of had a different game...but then again reading didnt exactly go looking for goals until the last 5 minutes of the 2nd half even after going 3-0 down. I know its a big occasion for clubs like reading having teams like arsenal to play - but having matches such as this on tv nearly every weekend is getting boring...as you know the result before a ball is kicked. I see setanta have derby v chelsea next up - i wonder what way that will go :rolleyes:

I watched it and agree it was a very poor match - if adebayor's 3rd minute strike against the post had gone in we may of had a different game...but then again reading didnt exactly go looking for goals until the last 5 minutes of the 2nd half even after going 3-0 down. I know its a big occasion for clubs like reading having teams like arsenal to play - but having matches such as this on tv nearly every weekend is getting boring...as you know the result before a ball is kicked. I see setanta have derby v chelsea next up - i wonder what way that will go :rolleyes:

Derby are much worse than Reading: look at the mess their defence was in when they visited the Emirates and Anfield! :p

I agree the premier$hite is wrong, but the problems lie deeper than that. The Fourth & Upwards Cup Knockout & European Revenue Securing League will prevent English football ever being competitive. By finishing a mere fourth in the "EPL", you get a guaranteed 6 ****ERS games (assuming you win your qualifier, for which you also get paid, but these are all seeded to ensure the "right" results anyway). You then have to finish in the top 2 to get guaranteed more games, and if you lose you get more revenue from the UEFA Cup.

Its basically a cartel, designed to keep the rich clubs rich and its killing football.

Platini, to his credit, tried to sow the seeds of reform but has been blocked by the vested interests of the G14.

This is all killing English (and European) football as competitions. How can it be a competition if it is no longer competitive?

Indeed YB. It does go a lot deeper than that, I just couldn't be bothered to go off on one at work!

What I find amazing is that Premiership clubs all complain that they have to buy abroad because lower league clubs want too much for their players. They seem to ignore the irony that it is them that have caused this situation by syphoning off as much of the football revenue as they can, leaving the lower league clubs fighting over the scraps. When they do finally have an asset worth something can you really blame them for wanting to make as much as possible?

This in turn leads to fewer English players getting the experience they need to compete at an international level, hence the failure of the English national team. Moreover, one of the Premier League's main arguments for its implementation all those years ago was that it would aid the England team because the players would all play less league matches. So what did they do? They filled their fixture list with European Non Champions League matches to make themselves even more money.

Did they really want to aid the national team? I think not, especially as they fight tooth and nail to stop their players playing, and have even tried to reduce the number of friendly matches the national team play. So they want every England game to be a qualifier of sorts. How does that aid the national team? When do they experiment and blood new players? In competitive matches? Just like the teams themselves. They always put their up and coming players straight into the first team, not! They try them out in games they think are meaningless, such as League Cup matches and early round FA Cup matches.

Talking of "new" players. Is the irony lost on these managers that they spend their lives saying so and so should be in the England squad, and when they are picked they complain about the amount of matches? Do they really care about the player enhancing the national team, or are they just trying to increase the value of their assets?

...and breathe...

Last edited:
ps Slipper mate, be careful of killing the golden goose. I agree entirely with you, but you've got to think of your career as well.

That did come to mind, but I've kept my mouth shut all season about stuff like this. I figure one sniffy column every six months or so should keep me sane and, most importantly, still employed!

For what it's worth, I say let the apparent G14 and there mates f*ck off and form their "Super League"...

Todays game, despite soaring TV Revenue, solely relys on the supporter base and size of the supporting contingent, both at home and away. The reason Man United will for the forseable future be financially dependable is because of the fact they draw in 76,000 crowds EACH week... We'll see how many people will enjoy travelling to the outposts of Europe every other week August to May to watch over paid prima donnas strut about on a pitch for 90 minutes while the "Club" they support bends them over backwards for the cost of tickets and merchandise.

The Super League will be just as elitist as the PremierLeague, La Liga or Serie A have become... Except clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea and PSV will simply get stuck by the wayside. The reason? Manchester United, Barcelona and Real pull in crowds of 60,000+ week in week out.

Without a financial banker willing to spunk the best part of £2bn up the wall, these clubs will be the Newcastle's and the Fulham's of the Super League... If/When it goes ahead, I give it 5 years before the clubs mediocre in size in comparison to the Man Utd's and Barca's come crawling back to their original leagues with their proverbial tails between their legs having recieved a spanking from the big boys.

For what it's worth, I say let the apparent G14 and there mates f*ck off and form their "Super League"...

Todays game, despite soaring TV Revenue, solely relys on the supporter base and size of the supporting contingent, both at home and away. The reason Man United will for the forseable future be financially dependable is because of the fact they draw in 76,000 crowds EACH week... We'll see how many people will enjoy travelling to the outposts of Europe every other week August to May to watch over paid prima donnas strut about on a pitch for 90 minutes while the "Club" they support bends them over backwards for the cost of tickets and merchandise.

The Super League will be just as elitist as the PremierLeague, La Liga or Serie A have become... Except clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea and PSV will simply get stuck by the wayside. The reason? Manchester United, Barcelona and Real pull in crowds of 60,000+ week in week out.

Without a financial banker willing to spunk the best part of £2bn up the wall, these clubs will be the Newcastle's and the Fulham's of the Super League... If/When it goes ahead, I give it 5 years before the clubs mediocre in size in comparison to the Man Utd's and Barca's come crawling back to their original leagues with their proverbial tails between their legs having recieved a spanking from the big boys.

But Arsenal and Liverpool could draw 60,000 every week as well - Arsenal themselves have proved this with the fact they fill the Emirates every other week and have a massive season ticket waiting list. Liverpool is much the same - if they had a bigger stadium they'd fill it week-in week-out, especially with the cream of Europe playing there.

However, I don't think such a super-league will happen in the near future, despite the wishes of the G14.

I'm all for the Super League, preferably hosted in Asia and the US so it'll be on at times when everyone here is either asleep or at work.

This in turn leads to fewer English players getting the experience they need to compete at an international level, hence the failure of the English national team
In my opinion this theory is a load of rubbish.
If the foreigners were not here, who would be playing? All the players who retired last year or slipped down to lower divisions.How will that help the England team?
How many foreigners were in the top division in 1974 and 1978 when we didnt qualify at all?

The foreigners in the Premier improve the standard so English players have to beome better to be able to get a game.
The problem with the English team is the manager, and the one before, who seem to pik the players they want in the side, then try and fit them all in.

In my opinion this theory is a load of rubbish.
If the foreigners were not here, who would be playing? All the players who retired last year or slipped down to lower divisions.How will that help the England team?
How many foreigners were in the top division in 1974 and 1978 when we didnt qualify at all?

The foreigners in the Premier improve the standard so English players have to beome better to be able to get a game.
The problem with the English team is the manager, and the one before, who seem to pik the players they want in the side, then try and fit them all in.

And part of the problem is that we can't get a manager with the appropriate amount of experience and success to command the respect of the players, because all the top clubs are managed by foreigners.

Its a similar issue with players. The pyramid system is broken. Teams no longer give opportunities to the best players and managers from the level below.

Teams no longer give opportunities to the best players and managers from the level below.

But if they players from the level below were good enough, Premier teams would take them and the top managers, like Ferguson and Wenger wouldnt want the england job because thier club teams are probably better than the england team anyway

Back