• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Letter to GK

Dear Geoffrey,

Cheers for your recipe for Oily Prawns , it was most delicious. Can i suggest that this becomes a regular dish served at the Roots Hall food bars for the future rather than the vile stuff that is served at the moment.

Cheers
Steven

Still wouldn't of helped him find the back of the net. Lucky with Rev's he knows what it looks like.

Revell's goal tally for us is three, that's half as many as Matt Harrold got. The column is an embarrassment and he needs to start doing his talking on the pitch.

Still, good bloke etc. etc.

Dear Geoffrey,

Cheers for your recipe for Oily Prawns , it was most delicious. Can i suggest that this becomes a regular dish served at the Roots Hall food bars for the future rather than the vile stuff that is served at the moment.

Cheers
Steven

I can personally pass that on for you Steve if you want as Geoff King is my mates uncle. LOL ;)

Here's todays, a little subdued and righfully so, and some mistakes have crept in as well....

storyCurveBottom_top490.gif
Revelling In It

story1main.gif
There is not much to say about last Friday’s game which hasn’t already been said, or summed up by Adam Barrett or the gaffer.
Obviously away game tactics differ from those adopted at home, and it is common practice to start matches tightly, with everyone behind the ball, and then play your way in to the game, building up enough momentum to take the points. I don’t know what the statistics are but when goals keep being scored in the first 10 minutes, it wipes away any pre-match tactics, and puts even more pressure on us going forward. If you look at the variety of goals being scored against us, they come from lapses from everyone, from all over the pitch, which makes the problem harder to solve.
We know we simple didn’t compete on Friday, and we haven’t for a while now and this is the most disappointing thing about our lack of form. We know we’ve not been good enough in all areas over the last two months, but we’ve brought this on ourselves, and we’ll fix it ourselves – after all, we know we are the only ones who can get us out of this rut.
We also realise that most of all, we are letting you, the supporters down, an especially those who travel with us away. You are the people who give up your time and money to support us, and whilst the support I’ve noticed since my arrival has always been admirable, we want you to be proud of us, and we can only do this by performing on the pitch and getting us up amongst the Championship chasing pack.
When you aren’t playing well, there is also this strange thing that every decision or ‘rub of the green’ doesn’t go your way, and I think Adam’s red card on Friday is a perfect example of this. Whilst it was a foul, we certainly feel that there was enough cover, and I felt that the tackle was in no way dangerous, but now we have to do without him on Boxing Day which will be a big space to fill.
What we have now is the probably the biggest game of our season on Boxing Day here at Roots Hall against Northampton which will really shape our season. I hear though that Boxing Day matches are traditionally well attended and whilst we, the players, have to go out there and save our season, you the supporters are fantastic when you get behind us and it can have an influence.
Things aren’t all doom and gloom though, with Dougie, Barnie and Jeff’s hopeful, fully fit, returns to action in the near future, and there is no doubt that these three players are key to this Club.
We, as a Club, need to keep going though and rest assured we will do and whilst the current situation may have taken the gloss of everyone’s Christmas we are determined that we’ll have a positive influence of 2009 and rest assured, we won’t let you down anymore.
Speaking of Christmas, I do not feel it appropriate to talk about the Clubs Christmas party or any off field aspects as the on-field performances need to be our sole focus in everything we do at the minute. What I will say is that when Clark Masters has children, he should never dress up as Santa Claus like he had to at the weekend, as he was the scariest Santa I’ve ever seen – think child-catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang crossed with the Grinch and you’re someway there!
My final dish of the week is somewhat predictable but it’s the best recipe I’ve found for the perfect Christmas dinner.
Roast turkey with apple and cranberry stuffing
I’d like to finish my last column of 2009 by saying thanks to each and every supporter who has spoken to me, or cheered me on, since I’ve been here. I couldn’t have been made more welcome at a Club and it makes me realise how special this Club is, and I and the other lads will be trying our utmost to make sure this continues by giving you what you deserve – good performances week-in-week-out.
Have a great Christmas and I hope you get everything you ask for!
Up the Blues!
Revs

Good column from Revs this week - I'd spoken to my mate the start of last week and said as fun as the columns are, they start to grate a bit when the team is struggling.

Glad Revs has toned it back a bit this week and spoken of focus ON the pitch rather than the banter off it.

Good stuff, and happy x-mas Revs! :)

Things aren’t all doom and gloom though, with Dougie, Barnie and Jeff’s hopeful, fully fit, returns to action in the near future, and there is no doubt that these three players are key to this Club.

Oh look, so my bit of research and sniffing about was right about Christophe then....

Oh for god sake...

Only you Ricey could turn a feature written by Revell about JFC into something about yourself.

Well I don't get enough appreciation for the exclusives that I come out with so I am entitled to big myself up from time to time.

Another cracking installment, and clearly some very heartfelt words from Mr Revell.

I think this one is one of his best, it just goes to show the difference we can make getting behind the team.

As a footballer, when you look back at your career once you’ve hung your boots up, there’s always two memorable occasions. The first highlight will always be when you sign your first professional contract, and the other is when you have that one ‘game-of-your-life’ scenario. It’s safe to say that the latter would certainly apply to Saturday, after all, it doesn’t come much bigger than playing the European Cup finalists on their own turf, and coming away with a result.

It is one of those days which I’ll remember for the rest of my life, and I’m more than happy to share it with you.

We were picked up on the team coach at 10.30am on Saturday morning and you could seeing everyone was psyched up even at that point – so much so Grand Theft Auto had to be put on hold through fear of an aggression overspill on Macca’s part!

We got to Stamford Bridge at around 11.45am where we were dropped off and ushered into the Copthorne hotel at the ground. Here’s where we had our pre-match brief and meal, although I’d have much rather had it at Marco Pierre White’s place over the road so I could have a nosey around and add a few dishes to my culinary repertoire – or maybe show Marco a thing or two about stuffing peppers!

Then at 1.20pm we were walked round to the player’s entrance and as people were hanging around outside, the magnitude of the occasion began to simmer through. As we entered the changing rooms it became quite apparent the difference in facilities, after all, last time I looked at Roots Hall I didn’t see any Molton Brown products in the shower room (and yes I did see Mildy try to unscrew some from the wall!).

Not only that, each of us had our own locker to put our stuff in, but then any Club who has Lee ‘ASBO’ Sawyer on their books needs these out of necessity more than anything else!

It’s quite a strange set-up from the changing rooms to the tunnel, as you are taken down some steps, and then up some more to pitchside, and it is only when you hit that top step that you can see the huge stand facing you, and just how grand the stadium is. What also amazed me was the fact there was around 4,000 Blues supporters already there and we received a warmer welcome than when the Chelsea players came out, which was fantastic.

By looking over at the Chelsea team warming up you could see how professional they were, they barely looked over at anything we were doing, and were in ‘game mode’ at that stage (although I must add that despite the result they were fantastic to us afterwards).

So then we came in and had the usual team talk from the gaffer, as well as a surprise visit from the Chairman, who stirred us up with another Al Pacino style speech from Any Given Sunday. Taking this on board we just wanted to get out there, and when the buzzer went (as apposed to Parms ringing a bell in the corridor at Roots Hall ha ha) we made our way back out to the tunnel.

It’s quite a surreal feeling lining up next to eleven International footballers but it had a good effect on the lads. You realise that this is your one chance to compete at this level and that they’ll be no tougher battle in your football career, and as you walk out in front of 42,000 screaming supporters it really does create a feeling I couldn’t do it justice by trying to describe.

At this point you just want the game to start because when it does, as weird as it is to say it, it just becomes a normal game where your sole focus is on the ball and the things going on around you.

For the first twenty minutes we were well and truly on the back foot, but we expected this, after all we were at the home of Chelsea and knew they’d start aggressively out of the blocks. I thought that our defending from the off though was superb and far better than in recent times, with no one shirking anything.

Then of course they scored, which because it came from a set piece was disappointing. It’s a lot easier to take if Lampard had smacked a 40 yard belter in the top corner but when it is a free header it is annoying, although if you look at their whole team’s movement from corners you can understand why he seemingly had so much space in the end. It was a shame as we’d just started to play our way into the game, and we just had to make sure our heads didn’t drop otherwise the game could have been over by half-time.

But we didn’t and I hope you could see how much playing in this team, with these people, means to us as we continued to battle and chase for everything to ensure we were still in the tie. Not one person’s head dropped and everyone still wanted the ball which is a great sign of a united team.

We knew during half time that it wasn’t the end of the world and that we were still in with a chance as long as we limited their opportunities. We managed to do this as I don’t think they had a clear chance until ‘that’ effort in the last minute, which I’ll come to in a bit.

I appreciate that some of the football we played in the second half wasn’t always pretty but we continued to battle and create, and ultimately stick to the game plan.

And then it happened.

Johnny Herd’s throw in came in, skimmed off Carvalho and Clarkey was there to nod it in the corner. To be honest I still can’t really remember what happened next as pandemonium took over! All I remember was looking at the scoreboard, seeing the score-line and thinking ‘what the heck have we just done!’

However, we knew that this would have upset Chelsea, and like all top teams they keep at you until the last minute, none more so than if you’ve just equalised in the last minute against them, and when you have four minutes of injury time to contend with, you know there’s time for one last chance in the game.

Obviously this chance went their way, with Di Santo’s header from about four yards producing one of the best saves I have ever seen in my life by Steve Mildenhall. Anyone who knows Mildy knows just how good a keeper he is, but that save just highlighted to everyone else what he has got in his locker. Not only did he get a hand to it, but once he did he palmed it out to a safe area of play, which is evidently as hard as getting to the ball in the first place.

Make no bones about it Steve deserves just as much credit as Clarkey for Saturday’s result.

Then as the final whistle went, and we made our way down to the supporters who had travelled, it was as if we’d won a cup final, and it ultimately proves what you can achieve when Southend literally is united. We are a powerful and unbreakable unit when we are all singing together and this not only involves the players, management and staff at the Club, but every single supporter out there.

I know I harp on about how good our support is, but everyone who travelled to the Bridge was absolutely immense and there is no doubt in anyone’s mind that 6,000 voices did make a difference on the pitch, and added to the motivation of the boys.

Afterwards, the gaffer was obviously delighted with the result and told us to enjoy the moment, but not to lose our focus especially with the Crewe game this Saturday coming up.

We all acknowledge how important Saturday’s performance was for the Club, and also, how important it is for everyone at the Club to take it in, but believe you me, it means nothing if we don’t get a result against Crewe.

We’ve shown the level we can compete to and we’ll forget about the replay until next week now, and concentrate on showing this commitment and desire at this weekend’s game.

We know that the League is our bread and butter, and ultimately what we get judged on come May time, and in essence this is where the pressure is on us, not at places like Stamford Bridge because we weren’t expected to get a result there. Most of this pressure is generated by ourselves because we know where we should be and where we have to be at the end of the season. If we’re not in the play-offs after 46 games we know we’ve failed this season, no matter what our Cup result says.

I’d like to make another special mention for the supporters who travelled, and who will no doubt be cheering us on again next Wednesday. You are fantastic ambassadors for this Club and we are lucky to have you and on behalf of all the lads I’d like to say a massive thank you for this.

Finally, and I know this is the real reason if you’ve read this far down the column; it’s my first Dish of 2009:

‘Hand-made meatballs (or hand bought if you don’t fancy doing them yourselves) with egg-noodles and rocket and parmesan salad’

Ohh, and for those of you wondering whether John Terry and me had discussions about the dish of the week, we did talk about my culinary delights but ended up falling out – he said optimum cous-cous production took three minutes whilst I said it was four minutes just to let it absorb the water thoroughly – amateur hey!

Thanks for everything and see you soon,

Last edited:
I love too how you don't get the usual clichés with our level of football that you do elsewhere in the modern game. The players talk on the bus, instead of arriving in headphones. They all eat together. They all realise this is a chance to test themselves against great players as (without meaning any disrespect) they're unlikely to play in the Premiership. They genuinely love the support we give them. They write blogs like this...

Good times.

When Revs retires I would be interested to see if he pens a book about his life as a lower league footballer. Would make quite a funny read if nothing else.

Excellent column from Revs this week, really gives an insight into the lives of our players, and funny as ever. What the hell does John Terry know about cous cous anyway

- Revs for Celebrity Masterchef 2009!

Tinged with sadness following last night:

It comes as no surprise that last Wednesday was one of my most enjoyable times since my arrival at the Club, and I thought we put in an admirable performance, one of which I hope the supporters were proud of.

After all, it’s not often you take the lead against a team of Chelsea’s stature, and but for a world-class save by a world-class keeper we could have had a two goal advantage in the first half. Peter Cech’s save provided just the proof as to why he’s considered the best goalkeeper in the world on his day, although I reckon Mildy’s save was better in the first tie!!!

You know that when you’re playing a higher division team that no matter how much effort you put in, you’ll always need that little bit of luck if you are to get anything out of the game. I think if I’m being honest we probably used it all up down at the Bridge, and that Chelsea were probably due a little bit with everything they’ve been through in recent weeks.

They certainly got it through their equaliser.

Not only did Ballack’s shot come off his shin, but it went in pretty much the only place a jumping Sankofa couldn’t reach, and if he meant that then he’s certainly good value for his £130,000 pay cheque that week.

It’s an old adage that the best time to score is directly before half time and I’m a true believer in that – imagine Scolari’s team talk trailing two nil to lower division Southend United compared to the boost they will have had knowing they’ve equalised and momentum was on their side.

In the second half I thought their quality showed through and statistically they were worthy of their win, but there will always be that ‘what if’ scenario hanging over our heads from that game. We all worked our socks off though, battled as hard as we could and came off the pitch safe in the knowledge that we’d worked them as hard as we could.

We knew at that point that we’d had our moment of glory and that it was time to take the impetus a good performance brings up to Stockport on the Saturday.

Whilst Stockport are newly promoted to this division, and have a very young team, they are as impressive as any team we’ve played, as anyone who attended the game at Roots Hall will testify too. They play attractive football in the right areas and they deserve a lot of credit for it.

It’s a style which is very effective, especially at home where the opposition will come with a defensive mindset, and certainly more so when you’re playing the majority of the game against ten men.

Whilst I don’t have a lot to say about Saturday’s performance, we all recognise that we should be capable of performing in any conditions even when we were a man lighter than the opposition and I just hope that when this article goes out that we’ve managed to perform at Leyton Orient, although as with everything when your not performing to your best, circumstances favour the opposition, and with them being managerless at the moment, it can provide as big of a boost as it can a perceived demotivation in some cases.

On a positive note it’s very good to have fixtures coming thick and fast for the next few months, not least because it means we do less training and more matches, but it gives us the opportunity to right any wrongs we may have at the earliest opportunity. It’s easy to forget that we are the same mentally as any amateur footballers, or even human beings for that point in that you will always dwell on any mistakes you might make, so being given the chance to rectify them at the earliest possibility is always a blessing.

Finally, here’s my dish of the week, although if you’re counting the calories still you might want to look away now:

‘Rev’s special spag bol’ – My tips: use the Bertolli original sauce, add finely cut bacon as well as mince, and serve with penne pasta

I hope to see you all soon, and take care.

Up the Blues!
Revs

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hope he carries on doing these from the sidelines.

Poor Old Revs :'(

Let's hope he keeps writing, keep himself busy. Maybe he'll start work on his first recipe book now.

Back