• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

And finally, Ron's Recipe: Curry (favour) Soup. Naturaly I don't have time to write my own recipe, so I employ a consultant, and just join the process at the final consumption phase. Below is a graph of the main ingredients which shows clearly that expensive ingredients, especially those placed in the wrong position in the recipe, aren't really necessary to ensure a successful soup. In future I hope to be using far more locally-sourced ingredients.

Up the Blues!

ronsig.gif

funny-graphs-ingredients-of.gif

Last edited:
Luckily for me I was weighed at the hospital and am still the same weight as I was before, and with the ever-so-slightly increased exercise in my life now, it means I can start eating what I want. Saying that, the nicest thing I’ve had this week was this, and it was healthy too!:

'Spicy Parsnip Soup – Revs’ Winter Warmer'. Simply cook the lentils with onions, lentils, vegetable stock, cumin, coriander, pepper and salt. Then blend and serve with a crusty bread roll – magical!

Anyway take care and I’ll see you all soon.

Up the Blues!

Revs

Err, Why does the Parsnip Soup not contain Parsnips??

Good news. Last Thursday I went back to hospital to have my plaster taken off, and the twenty staples removed from my leg, only to be left with one of the most impressive scars I’ve ever seen – if anyone’s short of a panto pirate later this year, then I’m your man!!

I’m now sporting a state-of-the-art moonboot and it’s safe to say I’d look better in a pair of clogs than this thing.

In all seriousness the doctors were impressed with the healing of it so far, and for the first time in weeks things are looking up.

I’ll now be walking with the aid of crutches for the next four weeks and then the boot will come off. After which I aim to be walking unaided for two weeks, and then the full rehab programme will kick in.

I was also able to return to the Boots and Laces for the first time on Monday where Stanners (the Club physio) was able to give me some me exercises to undertake, although I’m sure the missus is paying him just to get me out from under her feet for a bit! Now I have a light exercise programme for the next six weeks, and hopefully by putting the effort in now, it will be a lot easier when I train a lot harder.

It was also nice to get in amongst the banter again as I’ve missed this terribly, and no sooner had I walked in then the ‘pegleg’ chants started by none other than Captain Barrett. Funny thing is my current walk would suit my future panto career and I hear there’s good money in it – just ask Joe Pasquale!

Most of all though it’s just nice to get out of the house to be honest as I literally haven’t been able to do anything until this week. Worst thing is I’ve been making myself cups of tea and only been able to drink half as I’ve spilt the rest of it en route to the couch! Saying that I’m one of the finest one legged bathroom cleaners around – there must be a niche market for that!

A few of the lads have been round (Franno, Macca, Barney and Betsy whose put me to sleep a few times by reading me his poetry!) which always helps in these situations, and I know that they are frustrated because of the lack of games at the minute. Indeed I came to the game against Scunthorpe and thought the ref’s decision to call the game off was ridiculous, especially as even I could see that the pitch was playable.

Returning to Boots and Laces on Monday did give me the chance to see the newly formed look-a-like board on display in the canteen and some of them are hilarious. Saying that some of the lads have clearly been coming in early and sticking pictures up before anyone else has arrived – isn’t that right Brad Pitt….I mean Franno!

I’ll list some of them below, have a think about it and I’ll tell you who they are next week:

1. Dr Evil/Lee Hurst/Grant Mitchell/Al Murray
2. Barrack Obama
3. Chris Evans/Tin Tin
4. Spider or Kurt from Coronation Street
5. Otis Reading
6. Bradley from Eastenders
7. Sunny, the robot from ‘I, Robot’

I was pleased to see there were no horse’s heads appearing on the board, although I thought my comparison to the chocolate man off the Lynx advert because of my sunbed antics was a bit harsh!

Luckily for me I was weighed at the hospital and am still the same weight as I was before, and with the ever-so-slightly increased exercise in my life now, it means I can start eating what I want. Saying that, the nicest thing I’ve had this week was this, and it was healthy too!:

'Spicy Parsnip Soup – Revs’ Winter Warmer'. Simply cook the lentils with onions, lentils, vegetable stock, cumin, coriander, pepper and salt. Then blend and serve with a crusty bread roll – magical!

Anyway take care and I’ll see you all soon.

Up the Blues!

Revs

Another great read, Top bloke

A Southend Legend for what we done off the pitch and for the effort he puts in on it

Today's offering, methinks someone might have been reading Shrimperzone!

Revelling In It

story1main.gif

You’d have thought I was nearing the end of my rehab by the pain I’ve been feeling recently – mainly due to the exercises that the fitness team have been putting me through. Whilst I can’t do any serious cardio work, the weights and intensity of the programme is enough to rival Arnold Schwarzenegger’s body building workout in his prime!

In all seriousness things are going as well as to be expected, and whilst my rehab officially begins in a few weeks I feel like I’ve barely done anything ‘light’ training-wise since I stepped back into Boots and Laces last week. But like every injured player you just want things to be normal again, including the training schedule!

Speaking to the boys they’re obviously disappointed with last nights result, especially after the recent two results which seemed to have catapulted our season. It’s funny to think that up until last night, despite the awful last few months, that we were only four points worse off at this stage than we were last season.

Obviously expectations change throughout a season and we have to face facts that despite having the ability to reach the play-offs, it seems like a long way away, and no-one will be more disappointed about this than us.

Now we firstly have to focus on securing our League One status, and then concentrate on finishing the season strongly, ready to hit the ground running next season, and you just never know if we can still make the top six still, after all it is a division where everyone can beat everyone. Rest assured that with this squad, and an injury-free campaign that we are capable of pushing for promotion next season, and I’m adamant we will.

We’ve obviously got a tough game down at Colchester this Saturday and the boys will have to get fired up for what will be the biggest game they’ve had at the new stadium. In matches like this it really does come down to who wants it most and the lads will be as fired up for it as they have been for any game this season, and it should make for a great game for the spectator (of which I class myself as for the immediate future now!)

Down at the training ground, the look-a-like board is now looking like a shrine to Captain Barrett and Anthony Grant, and I’m pleased to share with you last weeks comparisons:

• Dr Evil/Lee Hurst/Grant Mitchell/Al Murray – Captain Barrett
  • Barrack Obama - Kevin ‘Oracle’ Betsy
  • Chris Evans/Tin Tin – Lee Barnard
  • Spider or Kurt from Coronation Street – Peter Clarke
  • Otis Reading - Anthony Grant
  • Bradley from Eastenders – Clark Masters
  • Sunny, the robot from ‘I, Robot’ – Jean-Francois Christophe
Here you go, for all my loyal chefs out there, which I’m not ashamed to admit that I stole from Saturday Kitchen because it was so good!:

‘Roasted monkfish and chorizo hotpot’ – unbelievable Jeff!

Anyway, thank you to all of those people still sending their best wishes into me and for everyone who continues to back us through thick and thin, your support is really appreciated.

Up the Blues!

Revs

What a legend
Good to see he's still optimistic
Best wishes Revs

25/2/2009

I’m now off the crutches and ready for things to get back to normal. They came off on Monday and I’ve now got a week and a half till my next X-ray. Then, all going well, I should be able to begin weight bearing exercise on it and this means I can finally see some light at the end of the tunnel.

However, I've been putting minimal weight on it now and have been doing some one legged rowing ready for when it becomes an Olympic sport!

Speaking to the lads, they’re all buzzing from Saturdays game against Colchester where we put in one of the most spirited performances I’ve seen all season. We knew it would be difficult down at their place as they are a very strong team and are capable of beating anyone in this division, as are ourselves mind. We battled hard and were fortunate to catch them on a day where their supporters aims were more accurate than their strikers, and I thought overall we did well to come out victorious.

I just hope that by the time you read this (after the Scunthorpe game) we haven’t shot ourselves in the feet again like we did against Crewe recently as its important to build on this momentum going into the business end of the campaign.

You'll be pleased to hear that there are a few new additions to the look-a-like board, and I’m more than happy to share them with you again (answers given next week):

Swampy
Big Bird from Sesame Street (clue = the colour yellow)
Benjamin Button

Some of you may have seen my ‘Worst’ interview in last weekends Sun newspaper and I know that my ‘worst music at the Club’ shout hasn’t gone down well with Alan McCormack. Alan is still not speaking to me and has genuinely put the fear of life in me, so much so that I’m writing this weeks column from a secret war bunker deep in the Essex countryside, and I’m relying on the skills of my trusty carrier pigeon to carry it to the offices in time for the Insider deadline!

Saying that, I rate my stealth skills so I reckon he’s got more chance of finding Bin Laden than myself!

I’d like to also take this opportunity to apologise to Adam Barrett’s wife for a comment I made last week. I said that that Adam’s scarf selection was so bad that his wife must have bought them for him.

This was factually incorrect and I apologise for such comments as I now know that she only buys the wool for the scarves, and then they are shipped out to Grandma Barrett for knitting!

With me having a bit of spare time on my hands, I’ve gone against the grain a little bit and actually applied an input in to some of my wedding preparations. The missus was incredibly impressed when she came home the other day and I told her I’d booked the reception for our summer wedding. She was not so impressed when I told her it was Stringfellows, but I think she’ll warm to it!!

With me finally being able to do a tiny bit of exercise, I’ve let myself go a bit with my dish this week, here you go:

‘Steak (sirloin of course) in a peppercorn sauce, served with rocket and parmesan salad, accompanied with Ainsley Harriots ‘Citrus Kick’ cous cous’

Anyway, take care and I hope this story has made it in time!!

Up the Blues!

Revs

Last edited:
25/2/2009

I’m now off the crutches and ready for things to get back to normal. They came off on Monday and I’ve now got a week and a half till my next X-ray. Then, all going well, I should be able to begin weight bearing exercise on it and this means I can finally see some light at the end of the tunnel.

However, I've been putting minimal weight on it now and have been doing some one legged rowing ready for when it becomes an Olympic sport!

Speaking to the lads, they’re all buzzing from Saturdays game against Colchester where we put in one of the most spirited performances I’ve seen all season. We knew it would be difficult down at their place as they are a very strong team and are capable of beating anyone in this division, as are ourselves mind. We battled hard and were fortunate to catch them on a day where their supporters aims were more accurate than their strikers, and I thought overall we did well to come out victorious.

I just hope that by the time you read this (after the Scunthorpe game) we haven’t shot ourselves in the feet again like we did against Crewe recently as its important to build on this momentum going into the business end of the campaign.

You'll be pleased to hear that there are a few new additions to the look-a-like board, and I’m more than happy to share them with you again (answers given next week):

Swampy
Big Bird from Sesame Street (clue = the colour yellow)
Benjamin Button

Some of you may have seen my ‘Worst’ interview in last weekends Sun newspaper and I know that my ‘worst music at the Club’ shout hasn’t gone down well with Alan McCormack. Alan is still not speaking to me and has genuinely put the fear of life in me, so much so that I’m writing this weeks column from a secret war bunker deep in the Essex countryside, and I’m relying on the skills of my trusty carrier pigeon to carry it to the offices in time for the Insider deadline!

Saying that, I rate my stealth skills so I reckon he’s got more chance of finding Bin Laden than myself!

I’d like to also take this opportunity to apologise to Adam Barrett’s wife for a comment I made last week. I said that that Adam’s scarf selection was so bad that his wife must have bought them for him.

This was factually incorrect and I apologise for such comments as I now know that she only buys the wool for the scarves, and then they are shipped out to Grandma Barrett for knitting!

With me having a bit of spare time on my hands, I’ve gone against the grain a little bit and actually applied an input in to some of my wedding preparations. The missus was incredibly impressed when she came home the other day and I told her I’d booked the reception for our summer wedding. She was not so impressed when I told her it was Stringfellows, but I think she’ll warm to it!!

With me finally being able to do a tiny bit of exercise, I’ve let myself go a bit with my dish this week, here you go:

‘Steak (sirloin of course) in a peppercorn sauce, served with rocket and parmesan salad, accompanied with Ainsley Harriots ‘Citrus Kick’ cous cous’

Anyway, take care and I hope this story has made it in time!!

Up the Blues!

Revs

possibly his best, and funniest, one so far! I wonder who is Benjamin Button!?

25/2/2009

I actually ate this last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think revs is stalking me!

Back