• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This weeks (28/1/09)

Revelling In It

Firstly I would like to say a massive thanks to each and every person who has sent me messages, well wishes and wishing me a speedy recovery. Be it through the Club, personally or even Facebook! To say this has overwhelmed me would be an understatement and you have no idea how much it means to me.

Rest assured though that despite this minor setback to the Revellinho footballing revolution, the column won’t stop, although most of my match analysis with now be given from a different perspective.

I still don’t actually remember how I ended up nearly breaking both the bones in my leg which will sound bizarre but all I remember is trying to shoot, landing on their defenders leg and next thing I know there was a shooting pain as I rolled on it.

Whilst I could feel the pain, it initially didn’t feel that bad and it was only when Stanners (the physio) called for the stretcher that I knew it was something serious. Rest assured I’m no Stuart Pearce in the hardness stakes but I think it was the shock which masked the pain, at least for the first few minutes after the incident until it kicked in!

Still I didn’t think it was as bad as it has turned out, even when I was in the hospital later on, as my mum will testify as I got bored of waiting and tried to go home! Thank God I didn’t as there is no doubt I’d have made it worse as a result, the good old negotiation skills of a parent put to good use again (and a swift clip of the ear – sorry mum!!).

After my initial x-ray in Whipscross hospital near the ground, it was confirmed that I’d broke my tibia and that I was due to go in for surgery at Southend hospital the next day. It was only when I arrived at hospital the next day that the concern was raised that I could have also broken my fibia as well, thus a second x-ray was required.

Luckily this came back negative, and so I was scheduled in to have my operation on the Friday.

I arrived at the hospital and I have to say the treatment I received was nothing more than fantastic from start to finish, from the staff through to the masses of Southend fans that were also in there – we must have the clumsiest fan base in England mind!!!

The operation itself lasted about an hour and half I’m told, and thus as a result I have a metal plate and five pins in me. This will be very interesting come metal detection time on my next holiday!

Timetable-wise, I’ve got my leg in plaster for the next two weeks, then I’ll have it in a non-weight bearing boot for a further three weeks, and with me being as bored as I am at the moment, four more weeks of this is going to be agony!

And then the fun starts, as the Clubs physio’s have been telling me!

Every footballer dreads rehab because you work far harder than you would if you are fully fit as a player, and I have no doubt it’ll be my toughest period in my professional career.

The irony is that I’ve been told to rest as much as possible before the work begins, but anyone who has been hurt like I have will testify that rest is in fact impossible due to many circumstances, none more agonising then lying in bed and waking up due to your leg smacking the floor as the cast falls out of the bed at a dramatic speed!

The plan is to begin running again in April, but I know now that there is only one thing that I’ll be doing in my summer break, and that’s getting myself back to full fitness come July time.

I also have another battle on my hands, arguably as hard as my one on the field. As an ambassador for the culinary delights that are regularly served in the Revell household, which isn’t exempt from the odd calorie or two, for the first time in my life I’m going to have to watch the pounds or two and cut down on the fine dining which I’ve become accustomed too, plus the missus can’t cook for toffee!

With this in mind, I’m going to have to ‘healthacise’ the Dish of the Week for this week, as we all embark on a bit of rabbit food for the time being!

‘Mediterranean Salad’ – mix your normal salad with a few olives, feta cheese (big in calcium – good for growing strong bones!!!!) with extra virgin olive oil, with a bit of French bread.

Finally, sometimes you have to look at the positives in life when times are like this, and with this in mind I can’t wait to enter the Right On Time competition now I legally can!!!

All the best, and thanks for everything, your support means a lot to me.

Up the Blues!

Revs

Another literary masterpiece from Revs.

Not a lot more can be said other than keep up the good work Revs and all the best for your recovery :clap:

What a top bloke. Good to hear that he is determined to work hard to get fit again. Look forward to seeing him light up League 2 next season for us!

Good to see he's keeping in good spirits so far.

And the addition of a new character to the plot line - Revs Mum :clap:

How long till revs signs up for shrimperzone...what else can u do to pass the time!?

Although with a comment like,

"Another literary masterpiece from Revs.

Not a lot more can be said other than keep up the good work Revs and all the best for your recovery :clap:"

it wouldn't surprise me if infact chrisblore was revs in disguise......

How long till revs signs up for shrimperzone...what else can u do to pass the time!?

Although with a comment like,

"Another literary masterpiece from Revs.

Not a lot more can be said other than keep up the good work Revs and all the best for your recovery :clap:"

it wouldn't surprise me if infact chrisblore was revs in disguise......

Oh no, you got me, although I did start posting in December 2004, quite a while before I joined the club ;)

What's the "Right on Time" competition?

Its a competition that is on the same newsletter as his blog where you email the club with your guess of what time the first Southend United goal will be worked i.e. (32 Mins or No Goals) and you could win a signed ball.

Another brilliant piece, glad to see his keeping his head up.

He also took the time out to write to me on Facebook and thank me for the messages of support I gave him. Not many people would do that. Top, top bloke.

The latest:

It is safe to say I’ve never been as bored as this ever in my life. I’m not sure whether it’s waiting for the inevitable ‘real’ work to begin, or the fact that there genuinely is nothing on the television to watch which has caused this.

I’m not sure if it is just me and the fitness coach Laurence Bloom who is also nursing a long-term injury (although his was caused in more unconventional circumstances I must add) who find being unable to do any physical activity tough, or whether it’s the case that as soon as you can’t do something, you actually want to do it, but that’s how I feel at the minute.

However, I have no doubt that in a few weeks when the cast comes off I’ll be made to eat these words when the blood, sweat and inevitable tears of rehabilitation hit full flow!

I managed to come to my first match since the accident last Saturday and was actually really impressed with the team’s performance.

It was one of those ones you'd call a ‘gritty’ performance, not always pleasing on the eye but necessary sometimes, especially when it comes to stopping the rut which we’re currently in.

I think we looked assured from back to front, and when you’re playing a team which contains one of the League’s leading marks-man in Rickie Lambert, and you limit him to no clear cut opportunities, then you know you’re doing something right.

I also managed to witness one of the save’s of the season by their keeper, a superb double handed turn around the post – although I have to say his positioning was questionable (as was his man marking of Dougie Freedman when he initially mis-cleared it!).

We can laugh about it now because we won the game, but I dread to think what would have happened if he had scored when he came up for the corner at the end, but then sometimes that’s your luck when things are going badly for you.

After the torture that is four salads in a week, I’ve come up with a nice yet still relatively healthy dish of this week:

Turkey mince tacos – the healthiest tacos you can get. Cook as normal using a well known brand in a yellow box, and just make sure you add just as much tomatoes and lettuce as you do mince!

Anyway, take care and I’ll see you all soon.

Up the Blues!

Revs

Good news. Last Thursday I went back to hospital to have my plaster taken off, and the twenty staples removed from my leg, only to be left with one of the most impressive scars I’ve ever seen – if anyone’s short of a panto pirate later this year, then I’m your man!!

I’m now sporting a state-of-the-art moonboot and it’s safe to say I’d look better in a pair of clogs than this thing.

In all seriousness the doctors were impressed with the healing of it so far, and for the first time in weeks things are looking up.

I’ll now be walking with the aid of crutches for the next four weeks and then the boot will come off. After which I aim to be walking unaided for two weeks, and then the full rehab programme will kick in.

I was also able to return to the Boots and Laces for the first time on Monday where Stanners (the Club physio) was able to give me some me exercises to undertake, although I’m sure the missus is paying him just to get me out from under her feet for a bit! Now I have a light exercise programme for the next six weeks, and hopefully by putting the effort in now, it will be a lot easier when I train a lot harder.

It was also nice to get in amongst the banter again as I’ve missed this terribly, and no sooner had I walked in then the ‘pegleg’ chants started by none other than Captain Barrett. Funny thing is my current walk would suit my future panto career and I hear there’s good money in it – just ask Joe Pasquale!

Most of all though it’s just nice to get out of the house to be honest as I literally haven’t been able to do anything until this week. Worst thing is I’ve been making myself cups of tea and only been able to drink half as I’ve spilt the rest of it en route to the couch! Saying that I’m one of the finest one legged bathroom cleaners around – there must be a niche market for that!

A few of the lads have been round (Franno, Macca, Barney and Betsy whose put me to sleep a few times by reading me his poetry!) which always helps in these situations, and I know that they are frustrated because of the lack of games at the minute. Indeed I came to the game against Scunthorpe and thought the ref’s decision to call the game off was ridiculous, especially as even I could see that the pitch was playable.

Returning to Boots and Laces on Monday did give me the chance to see the newly formed look-a-like board on display in the canteen and some of them are hilarious. Saying that some of the lads have clearly been coming in early and sticking pictures up before anyone else has arrived – isn’t that right Brad Pitt….I mean Franno!

I’ll list some of them below, have a think about it and I’ll tell you who they are next week:

1. Dr Evil/Lee Hurst/Grant Mitchell/Al Murray
2. Barrack Obama
3. Chris Evans/Tin Tin
4. Spider or Kurt from Coronation Street
5. Otis Reading
6. Bradley from Eastenders
7. Sunny, the robot from ‘I, Robot’

I was pleased to see there were no horse’s heads appearing on the board, although I thought my comparison to the chocolate man off the Lynx advert because of my sunbed antics was a bit harsh!

Luckily for me I was weighed at the hospital and am still the same weight as I was before, and with the ever-so-slightly increased exercise in my life now, it means I can start eating what I want. Saying that, the nicest thing I’ve had this week was this, and it was healthy too!:

'Spicy Parsnip Soup – Revs’ Winter Warmer'. Simply cook the lentils with onions, lentils, vegetable stock, cumin, coriander, pepper and salt. Then blend and serve with a crusty bread roll – magical!

Anyway take care and I’ll see you all soon.

Up the Blues!

Revs

even if he never plays for the club again, he has to stay attached to SUFC.....he's a genius

1. Dr Evil/Lee Hurst/Grant Mitchell/Al Murray - Barrett
2. Barrack Obama Betsy
3. Chris Evans/Tin Tin Barney
5. Otis Reading Jimmy Walker
7. Sunny, the robot from ‘I, Robot’

I'd hazard a guess at Bradley being Clark Masters, there aren't too many contenders with that hair colouring. I wondered about Johnny Herd as Kurt?

1. Dr Evil/Lee Hurst/Grant Mitchell/Al Murray - Barrett
2. Barrack Obama Betsy
3. Chris Evans/Tin Tin Barney
5. Otis Reading Jimmy Walker
7. Sunny, the robot from ‘I, Robot’ Adam Barrett?

irobot-glance.jpg

Back