• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Think the problem was that they got to the top of the table under Freedman. Holloway didnt seem to actually do that well and their end of season form saw them almost miss out on the playoffs.

Guess they dont see him as actually doing well for them despite going up.

Edit: Which If I had read chapperz post I could have not bothered saying

Funnily enough Im sure Bolton arent overly happy with Freedman either!

He did very well in his first season, took over when they were 16th and missed out on the play-offs on goal difference. On that you would have thought they would be up there around the play-offs.

Crazy.

Palace are punching well above their weight. That squad is full of average Championship players.

Precisely. The squad is full of Championship players and, as Holloway was responsible for assembling that squad, he's failed in his role. You can argue about budgets, but Bruce has done a marvellous job at Hull in comparison and it's not as if Holloway hasn't had any money to spend, he just chose to spend it on French defenders that were then not even included in the 25 and later bombed out of the club.

By Holloway's own admission he was out of his depth in the Premier League, and I'd say he's correct. His tactics, team selection, squad management and recruitment policy have all fallen far short of the required calibre, and Palace have done the right thing in getting rid of him now, affording the new manager the time to analyse the squad and target January transfers (although, I might recommend the new man look at a new defender or six).

Chris Kiwomya has left Notts County.

On another note Di Canio is being touted as the next Bristol City manager.

This one made me laugh though Stuart Pearce wants the Palace job!

Easy one to say but O'Driscoll at Bristol City is skating on thin ice, somewhat!

Cant see many League 2 managers getting the chop for a while for various reasons! I'd say Lee Clark at Brum could be the next one to go or perhaps Dave Jones at Sheff Weds?! They need some solidarity at that club as they've done so much yo-yo'ing between the 2nd and 3rd tier recently! Bolton have drawn 7 games already this season and thus havent lost too many so can see them sticking with Dougie (For now!)

Last edited:
The Berrichonne manager is the latest victim of sacking,oh well at least the new one is high class,oh hold on no he is not,down we go then.

I think Martin Jol might be shown the door by the end of the day/weekend.

Also looks like Dave Jones might be heading for the job centre too.

Fulham have appointed Rene Meulensteen as head coach alongside Jol. A very strange thing to do and if I were in Martin Jol's shoes I'd be a very ****ed off man.

Fulham have appointed Rene Meulensteen as head coach alongside Jol. A very strange thing to do and if I were in Martin Jol's shoes I'd be a very ****ed off man.

Fulham's new owner doesn't seem to have a trigger finger, but that does seem a strange one. Although Meulensteen is a highly regarded coach and I doubt any manager would be too unhappy for him to come in to help as long as it isn't an attempt to push them out.

As soon as you do something like this you undermine the manager and make a statement he cant do the job.

Cant see it ending in any other way than Jol leaving....

Fulham's new owner doesn't seem to have a trigger finger, but that does seem a strange one. Although Meulensteen is a highly regarded coach and I doubt any manager would be too unhappy for him to come in to help as long as it isn't an attempt to push them out.

As soon as you do something like this you undermine the manager and make a statement he cant do the job.

Cant see it ending in any other way than Jol leaving....

Older Fulham fans (like me) will remember Dave Sexton being appointed as coach (under Vic Buckingham,IIRC) saving the club from relegation from Division 1 (as it then was) and not ending up with the Fulham manager's job, (he went on to Chelsea).

However I tend to agree with Jam Man on this one.Sooner or later it looks inevitable.

Isn't this how Jol got the Spurs job? He was the guy brought in to undermine the manager?

Or am I mis-remembering that?

You are correct he came in as a coach and 13 games later Jacques Santini resigned and Jol took over.

If Meulensteen was as instrumental to Manchester United's success as he likes to point out, you'd have thought he would've received more of a mention in Ferguson's most recent book than he did. I'm not doubting his abilities as a coach - players who've worked with him all lavish him with praise - but apart from a very misguided spell at Anzhi, his managerial expertise extends as far as an ill-fated spell at Brondby and a few years spent knocking about Qatar.

If Meulensteen was as instrumental to Manchester United's success as he likes to point out, you'd have thought he would've received more of a mention in Ferguson's most recent book than he did.

Agreed - although from what I hear Ferguson didn't mention Mark Hughes even once either. It wouldn't be like Fergie to use his book for petty point scoring though. Ahem.

A very strange thing to do and if I were in Martin Jol's shoes I'd be a very ****ed off man.

If I were in Martin Jol's shoes I'd be Martin Jol and therefore would be bloody delighted 24 hours a day.

MartinJol_1331488a.jpg

Back