• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This is a letter that my father-in-law has sent to the club, the echo and has asked me to put it on here to see what your thoughts are - In a nutshell, he is suggesting that instead of getting everyone buying shares which are effectively worthless with such a large controlling stake, the club could raise money by selling a seat for life in the new stadium. Anyway, here you have it:

For more than 35 years I have been a regular supporter of SUFC as is my son, son-in-law and our wider family and circle of friends. I would say we a group of fanatics.

In hope and anticipation that the government will soon approve the Chairman's development proposals, I wonder how football at a skill level that would attract anywhere near the 22,000 capacity is planned to be achieved at the stadium ?

A larger arena with a vast amount of empty seats would clearly not create for a good atmosphere, or be conducive to the club being capable of operating profitably, to enable payment of whatever sum in rent is to become payable under any lease to the club, by the owners of the freehold.

My questions, which I have also previously raised on the clubs official website, without response at this moment in time, is whether Mr Martin may have considered selling debenture seats at the stadium, purchased by founding investors [supporters], which would be transferable to one's next of kin in perpetuity.

The Royal Albert Hall was I believe partially funded by such a scheme and debenture seat owners still have to this day the opportunity to attend any performance free of any further payment.

To a limited extent [10 years] seats at the new Wembley Stadium were offered to investors.

Whilst some [myself and maybe many others] would prefer perpetual season tickets and sole ownership of seat others might prefer at lower price that would suit their budget, seats for 10 or more years in a leased fashion.

The club have issued information on share ownership/investment recently, which would represent a much riskier proposition. Indeed it is well known that save say Man Utd or Arsenal and a few other select football clubs, share buying would not represent a particularly sound investment.

Founding Debenture holder seat ownership revenue could create a massive injection of cash [a windfall nestegg] to the soccer club [as opposed to Mr Martins property development company - which should in leasing the ground to the club and in its other proposed buildings of hotel and shops & the re-developement of the Roots Hall site make a sufficient return on their investment - aside from SUFC itself].

I am also interested in seeing the securing [guaranteeing] SUFC's tenure at the ground [we do not want to see a Wimbledon/Milton Keynes scenario arise here if the present chairman/directors or their succesors in title may at any time in the future, fall out for non-payment of rent or otherwise].

A condition that planning permission do enure to SUFC only at the stadium has been called for by the planning inspectorate and it remains to be seen what if any conditions they can grant to secure SUFC rights at the stadium.

With all due respect to Mr Martin, he will know as a business man that we as SUPPORTERS wish to see SUFC secured at the new site also in perpetuity, long after we have all expired, or when he may at some point in the longer future, consider to sell or pass on his investment in the club to new owners.

A former chairman threatended to move the club to a distant town [Milton Keynes or Basilon or both I think] and it is not beyond the realms of possibility that say Chelmsford Town could be installed as a tenant, UNLESSS SUFC ARE GRANTED SOLE SOCCER USE AND OCCUPATION RIGHTS AT THE STADIUM.

Also in the immediate future, the soccer management team would generate sufficient INDEPENDENT FUNDING FROM SUPPORTERS as a result, to elevate SUFC to a higher level of performance on the pitch by being able to fund quality playing personnel and the necessary uplift of the wage structure, that would be also needed to implemented, in the medium/longer term.

These questions have significant long term implications for us all and I and others would like to know, if the club may have considered or formulated any proposals at all along these lines.

The share offer, is high risk in anyones language.

In a nutshell I would rather have a guranteed seat and invest in the soccer clubs future in that manner, in return for having a guarantee of being able to watch our beloved team stride boldly & confidently into the future.

I look forward to learning Mr Martins views and the finer details of what may be in his mind upon these subjects.

I hope that you consider this letter to be newsworthy enough to consider publication.

Up the Blues !!!

Yes, good idea until you get some oik who's "inherited" his seat suddenly appear in front of you who proves to be a complete ar*e. I'd rather see it like they have at the Palace Theatre, where you in effect sponsor a seat, and are then free to arrange your ST wherever you wish. Admittedly in some cases this will be the same seat ad infinitum but I'd hate the restriction.

Ron has always said that he wants the fans to own the club (or some of it anyway) i think that he's just following up on his promise, and as we are going to need some cash for the summer, especially if we dont get to the playoffs, i see it as a way to raise a bit of cash for new players etc. and let the fans own a small piece of THEIR club. I fully realise as i believe do most of the people that are going to buy shares that these will never ever make any money.
With regards to the 'seat for life' i wouldnt be supprised if Ron's not keeping something like this up his sleeve along with the old favourite 'buy a brick' and a few other ways of raising cash for when we move.

I think this letter raises a number of valid concerns and is well intended .

One question springs to mind - what would happen if a fan had forked out for a 10 year or longer seat and the club still folded after say 5 years ?

One question springs to mind - what would happen if a fan had forked out for a 10 year or longer seat and the club still folded after say 5 years ?

Then he would lose his money...

1 I doubt if he could prove he was a creditor
2) Creditors would get little if nothing if the club folded anyway

However ,considering the credit card block was placed on a number of football clubs season ticket sales because the credit card companied were concerned that should the club be unable to fulfill its fixtures the CC company would have to reimburse the card holder, I would imagine that you may be able to claim back through them (as long as there is not a statute of limitations issue with thr timescales)
Alternatively would the cc company actually allow long term tickets like this to be purchased on a cc in the first place ?

Then he would lose his money...

1 I doubt if he could prove he was a creditor
2) Creditors would get little if nothing if the club folded anyway

However ,considering the credit card block was placed on a number of football clubs season ticket sales because the credit card companied were concerned that should the club be unable to fulfill its fixtures the CC company would have to reimburse the card holder, I would imagine that you may be able to claim back through them (as long as there is not a statute of limitations issue with thr timescales)
Alternatively would the cc company actually allow long term tickets like this to be purchased on a cc in the first place ?

Good point - I am glad I used my card this season .

But going back to the original point , there isn't much difference then between buying a seat for life and buying shares . Maybe this is why the club have not responded as yet as they might feel uncomfortable about pointing this out .

Maybe the solution would be an agreement that Southend United FC could play at FF rent free for say 25 years ?

Not a big fan of the idea. Firstly there's no need for it in the short term as realistically Fossetts Farm will pretty much always have spare seats available so people have no need to own their own guaranteed seat. Secondly, if we were selling out then we have an issue like Wembley has with these Club Wembley members who turn up as and when they feel like it and deny thousands of people the chance of going to a match.

New Stadium Seats

Well you lose, same as if you buy shares.

The point here is that we could all "buy" a seat or advance seasons tickets for whatever suits your budget.

Example: 3 years season seat at fixed price - guarantees no price increase
and at discount to take account of advance buying.

5 years same

10 years same

15 - 20 - 25 - life (in perpetuity) just depends on your budget

We could all get individual loans as discount might offset interest ?

Effectively it would be a win win win situation and guarantee putting more bums on seats long term, regardless.

We need a bigger contingent of regular support, if we are going to ever get to a higher level of FOOTBALL.

How does anyone hink we are going to get 22,000 along on a regular basis, to support when the going gets tough.

It should be blindingly obvious this would give a potnetially massive cash and advance injection of funds to the club, which we will entrust them to use wisely & even invest surpluses - as their return on a large capital sum would outstrip what individual investors can achieve for small beer money.

If anyone cannot afford 3 years then of course annual season tickets and pay on the day will still be available to those less regular "supporters".

Do you want to be in on the ground floor level or not is the question.

Ian (Irate) Walker [ex Barry Hearn complaint circa 2005 refers]

In the share application pack recently sent out by the club there was mention of this exact point.
In the Offer for Subscription section:

"Supporters taking up the Offer will be offered the opportunity of reserving their seats in advance in the proposed new stadium subject to the Supporter purchasing a season card issued under the Club's ticketing policy. Shareholders including those taking up the Offer will also have the first opportunity of reserving their seat for life in the proposed new stadium subject to paying the appropriate premium and remaining a season card holder."

This is one of the reasons why I have purchased some shares; I am not expecting any dividend ,after all this purchase is for personal gain not financial (best to have some diversification in your portfolio). I intend to reserve my seat for life (aged 33) and also whilst I'm there I shall look to guarantee seats for life for my two daughters (aged 3 and 2) - by the time they are old enough to realise what their dad has subjected them too, they'll be already hooked!!!

Ron has always said that he wants the fans to own the club (or some of it anyway) i think that he's just following up on his promise, and as we are going to need some cash for the summer, especially if we dont get to the playoffs, i see it as a way to raise a bit of cash for new players etc. and let the fans own a small piece of THEIR club. I fully realise as i believe do most of the people that are going to buy shares that these will never ever make any money.
With regards to the 'seat for life' i wouldnt be supprised if Ron's not keeping something like this up his sleeve along with the old favourite 'buy a brick' and a few other ways of raising cash for when we move.

Well I posted a similar staright question on the clubs official site some weeks ago and not even received a courtesy reply.

Why would he want to keep something like this "up his sleeve" and send out share buying schemes ?

Ian W.

In the share application pack recently sent out by the club there was mention of this exact point.
In the Offer for Subscription section:

"Supporters taking up the Offer will be offered the opportunity of reserving their seats in advance in the proposed new stadium subject to the Supporter purchasing a season card issued under the Club's ticketing policy. Shareholders including those taking up the Offer will also have the first opportunity of reserving their seat for life in the proposed new stadium subject to paying the appropriate premium and remaining a season card holder."

This is one of the reasons why I have purchased some shares; I am not expecting any dividend ,after all this purchase is for personal gain not financial (best to have some diversification in your portfolio). I intend to reserve my seat for life (aged 33) and also whilst I'm there I shall look to guarantee seats for life for my two daughters (aged 3 and 2) - by the time they are old enough to realise what their dad has subjected them too, they'll be already hooked!!!

AH SO ! THEY WANT US TO TRIPLY INVEST WHAT A WHEEZE. BUY SHARES FIRST TO BE ABLE TO BUY [A] SEAT FOR LIFE + SEASON CARD/TICKET.

THIS STINKS AS AN EXPLOITATION OF SUPPORTERS INTELLIGENCE.

IRATE IAN

Secondly, if we were selling out then we have an issue like Wembley has with these Club Wembley members who turn up as and when they feel like it and deny thousands of people the chance of going to a match.

Slightly different here Beefy, so the argument cannot be considered.

Wembley is a multi purpose stadium, so people have bought in to Club Wembley for England games or concerts, not to see their club who may or may not appear there. At Fossetts Farm you will only be going to see Southend Utd so people buying these seats would probably go to most matches as they will not be buying the seats for alternative entertainment.

Back