• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

StockportFan

Hi. Just to introduce myself, as the name probabaly suggests, I'm a Stockport Fan. (In peace).

I've actually come on here just to spread a bit of information about financial issues, but before I start, I'll just say a bit of a piece.

14 months ago, other Stockport supporters, myself and other football supporters in general wouldn't have bothered giving one about what happens to Southend United, and to be completely honest, after some of the hostility that was shown to some supporters the last time we were at Roots Hall, I did consider not bothering. Some of us were made to feel unwelcome and that's a shame because as football fans we all have the same passion. I have seen a post on here about the Stockport supporters 'not speaking English'.... I presume that was a reference to a chant called 'after the turn of the century', which nowadays is sung so fast that half of our supporters don't even know the words, but I can assure you, we do speak English and in Stockport we're not the stereotypical Northerners -ie scruffy farmers that don't know how to string a sentence together. (That's Lancashire and Yorkshire, ****holes).

However, as you may or may not be aware, 14 months ago, Stockport County entered into administration after avoiding a winding up petition and almost paying off urgent debts - but ultimately failing. The club was placed into administration over a £300k debenture debt that was held by a firm, ironically, not too far from Southend on Sea.
The company in question did not trust that they would see a return on their money, and after the team had secured enough points to avoid the drop into League Two even with a 10 - point deduction, at the end of the 2008/09 season, they placed us into administration. The most infuriating thing about this was not the administration itself, but what had been going on at the club at the time.

Back in 2009 SCAFC Limited (Stockport County) was owned by the Stockport Supporter's Trust, ie. we were a fan owned club. The Trust had its board, but they had nothing to do with the running of the club, as they were essentially ordinary fans. Therefore, they appointed a club board to run the club for them, even though the Trust Board were the owners. It later turned out that the Trust board, the owners, were not even made aware of the said debt that resulted in administration.

In addition to this, we no longer own Edgeley Park, it is owned by Sale Sharks and their greedy owner Brian Kennedy. Kennedy knew full well that the club was sliding under and that we had nowhere else to play, and so ripped the club off to play at EP and ultimately is held as one of the key reasons why the club had no money - to the extent that Kennedy forced the club into a contract that made them sign 30% of all player transfer fees over to him.
There was however a clause in this contract that said if the club could pay off it's debt to Kennedy from when he used to own the football club, he was obliged to sell Edgeley Park back to us for £1. To raise this money, a scheme called Ground For A Pound was set up, where 4 million pixels of an online picture went on sale, for 1 pound each. This money was then supposed to be ringfenced and used only to buy back EP, but the club went back on this deal and used it to pay wages. Again, we were not made aware of this until after the money had gone and the club was in admin.

Finally, most shockingly of all, the ethos of trust ownership was that everything was supposed to be clear for everyone to see. Upon entrance into administration, the former Managing Director had stated that the debt was just that £300k. It eventually turned out the real debt was £7,800,000.

This led to the administrators, as incompetent as they were, taking drastic action. Within a week they sacked our manager and club legend Jim Gannon who looks set to return to County in the next few days. They conducted a fire sale over the summer of all the club's best and bright players, and brought no - one in as replacements. Then, along came a man called Jim Melrose, with a consortium, and put a bid in for the club. They then attempted to take control of the club and convinced us all to buy season tickets, etc., and even appointed last season's manager, Gary Ablett. However, their proposed 'takeover' never went through and they were told to do one eventually by the Football League in March.

Gary Ablett tried his best, but was under embargo and restricted to only 20 players as per the rules of administration. He tried to use the loan market, and really did put in every effort, but was ultimately out of his depth. Gary was a fantatsic defender in his day as you may well remember, but couldn't manage. The result was the most embarassing and humiliating season we have ever endured, finishing bottom of League One with just 25 points and 5 wins all season. We twice bbroke a club record fort consecutive defeats and in March had our heaviest home defeat in sixty years, being murdered 6 - 0 by Huddersfield. Every time we went away from home, we tried to get behind our team, and we were mocked and humiliated, week in, week out.

Administration tore the soul out of our football club. Then, in May, the Grimsby Town chairman went to the Football League and requested that County were thrown out of the Football League altogether, so that Grimsby would survive. He was, naturally, ridiculed, told to buy a better squad and was sent home.

It was only the efforts of the supporters - or supporter, as it was, Mr. Dave Schofield, first organising a protest to the administrator's office to reduce their fees, who for 6 months had been charging \County a staggering £300 per hour, and then eventually bringing together the consortium that saved Stockport County in June. If it was not for Dave, there would be 23 teams in League Two next season and Southend would have matchday 1 off.

There's still a long way to go - we have no manager and just 7 contracted players at the club, but we now have a stable financial backdrop. We served our points penalty in 2008/09, suffered like you wouldn't believe in 2009/10, and we will most likely be relegated to the Conference in the coming season, but the point is that we have a football club to support, thanks to the determination and power of the fans, and one man in particular.

Now, I appreciate that that was long - winded and most probably gave up long ago, but I came on here to say this: Stockport County fans know full well that you at Southend are struggling, to put it lightly. I don't know the ins - and - outs, but I've heard about the winding up orders, only having a handful of players, the Sainsburys issue with Roots Hall etc, and I can assure you that we are doing everything to help highlight your plight to other supporters, especially with that letter to Sainsburys on Vital.

We might not see eye to eye at times, but we, after the 14 months we've had, wouldn't wish what we've suffered on anyone. The only way, in my eyes at least, to save a 'small' football club is through the power of fans. The first bitter pill is to accept that you are a small club, and that most businesspeople will walk away. Consortiums come and go, and the first ones almost always fail. Also, if it sounds too good to be true, it will be. But if you, as a fanbase, pulll together in the same direction, and either stand behind your chairman Mr. Martin, or put into place actions that will lead to a secure future, then regardless of what happens on the pitch in the short term, then will be a Southend United for you to support in years to come.

I, and my fellow supporters at County, really do wish you all the very best in securing a bright future and having success. Apart from on the opening day of course!!

Top post. I like to think that Southend United fans and Stockport County fans will still come together in a hundred years time to worship the footballing Deity known only as Tesfaye Bramble.

Thanks for the support and I hope that both of our Clubs pull through this.

He's dropped way below Stevenage now, sadly.

Quick question: if Stockport have taken the pain and come through the other side then why are you so pessimistic about this season? Is there no money at all to cobble together any kind of squad?

Tes. Is. God. Let's not forget that.

What is all this about trouble at the last home game of the season that I keep hearing about? Why on earth would there be conflict between the two sides? Our local oiks at it again?

Best post all week!

You bring as many fans as you can for the first game of the season and help us, and we will repeat the same and I will be on that bus to stockport this year!

FOOTBALL UNITED!!!!

And we thought we were having a crap time!!! I am sure all Sufc fans wish you all the luck (opening day excepted) (if we both make it )

Please come to Southend in peace, as I am sure I can vouch that the incident that took place is an exception nowadays.

Lets hope we can both enjoy the banter in the North Bank again this season, as I enjoyed the last game of last season.

What is all this about trouble at the last home game of the season that I keep hearing about? Why on earth would there be conflict between the two sides? Our local oiks at it again?

I knew there was an incident in the evening after the game down the seafront but didnt know of any at the game.

The problem is thast very few players want to come to a club that's just been relegated, especially a Northern one that lives in the shadows of it's bullying counterparts nearby in Manchester (eurgh)...
It's memories from the past too... six years ago we came down to league two, and we only managed to finish 22nd and survive on the last day, and that was thanks to Jim Gannon coming in and saving the day.
Gannon is suppsoed to be coming back but to be fair he has other things on his mind as his dad has died.

We might do ok, but tbh I'd take 22nd place now.

Hi. Just to introduce myself, as the name probabaly suggests, I'm a Stockport Fan. (In peace).

I've actually come on here just to spread a bit of information about financial issues, but before I start, I'll just say a bit of a piece.

14 months ago, other Stockport supporters, myself and other football supporters in general wouldn't have bothered giving one about what happens to Southend United, and to be completely honest, after some of the hostility that was shown to some supporters the last time we were at Roots Hall, I did consider not bothering. Some of us were made to feel unwelcome and that's a shame because as football fans we all have the same passion. I have seen a post on here about the Stockport supporters 'not speaking English'.... I presume that was a reference to a chant called 'after the turn of the century', which nowadays is sung so fast that half of our supporters don't even know the words, but I can assure you, we do speak English and in Stockport we're not the stereotypical Northerners -ie scruffy farmers that don't know how to string a sentence together. (That's Lancashire and Yorkshire, ****holes).

However, as you may or may not be aware, 14 months ago, Stockport County entered into administration after avoiding a winding up petition and almost paying off urgent debts - but ultimately failing. The club was placed into administration over a £300k debenture debt that was held by a firm, ironically, not too far from Southend on Sea.
The company in question did not trust that they would see a return on their money, and after the team had secured enough points to avoid the drop into League Two even with a 10 - point deduction, at the end of the 2008/09 season, they placed us into administration. The most infuriating thing about this was not the administration itself, but what had been going on at the club at the time.

Back in 2009 SCAFC Limited (Stockport County) was owned by the Stockport Supporter's Trust, ie. we were a fan owned club. The Trust had its board, but they had nothing to do with the running of the club, as they were essentially ordinary fans. Therefore, they appointed a club board to run the club for them, even though the Trust Board were the owners. It later turned out that the Trust board, the owners, were not even made aware of the said debt that resulted in administration.

In addition to this, we no longer own Edgeley Park, it is owned by Sale Sharks and their greedy owner Brian Kennedy. Kennedy knew full well that the club was sliding under and that we had nowhere else to play, and so ripped the club off to play at EP and ultimately is held as one of the key reasons why the club had no money - to the extent that Kennedy forced the club into a contract that made them sign 30% of all player transfer fees over to him.
There was however a clause in this contract that said if the club could pay off it's debt to Kennedy from when he used to own the football club, he was obliged to sell Edgeley Park back to us for £1. To raise this money, a scheme called Ground For A Pound was set up, where 4 million pixels of an online picture went on sale, for 1 pound each. This money was then supposed to be ringfenced and used only to buy back EP, but the club went back on this deal and used it to pay wages. Again, we were not made aware of this until after the money had gone and the club was in admin.

Finally, most shockingly of all, the ethos of trust ownership was that everything was supposed to be clear for everyone to see. Upon entrance into administration, the former Managing Director had stated that the debt was just that £300k. It eventually turned out the real debt was £7,800,000.

This led to the administrators, as incompetent as they were, taking drastic action. Within a week they sacked our manager and club legend Jim Gannon who looks set to return to County in the next few days. They conducted a fire sale over the summer of all the club's best and bright players, and brought no - one in as replacements. Then, along came a man called Jim Melrose, with a consortium, and put a bid in for the club. They then attempted to take control of the club and convinced us all to buy season tickets, etc., and even appointed last season's manager, Gary Ablett. However, their proposed 'takeover' never went through and they were told to do one eventually by the Football League in March.

Gary Ablett tried his best, but was under embargo and restricted to only 20 players as per the rules of administration. He tried to use the loan market, and really did put in every effort, but was ultimately out of his depth. Gary was a fantatsic defender in his day as you may well remember, but couldn't manage. The result was the most embarassing and humiliating season we have ever endured, finishing bottom of League One with just 25 points and 5 wins all season. We twice bbroke a club record fort consecutive defeats and in March had our heaviest home defeat in sixty years, being murdered 6 - 0 by Huddersfield. Every time we went away from home, we tried to get behind our team, and we were mocked and humiliated, week in, week out.

Administration tore the soul out of our football club. Then, in May, the Grimsby Town chairman went to the Football League and requested that County were thrown out of the Football League altogether, so that Grimsby would survive. He was, naturally, ridiculed, told to buy a better squad and was sent home.

It was only the efforts of the supporters - or supporter, as it was, Mr. Dave Schofield, first organising a protest to the administrator's office to reduce their fees, who for 6 months had been charging \County a staggering £300 per hour, and then eventually bringing together the consortium that saved Stockport County in June. If it was not for Dave, there would be 23 teams in League Two next season and Southend would have matchday 1 off.

There's still a long way to go - we have no manager and just 7 contracted players at the club, but we now have a stable financial backdrop. We served our points penalty in 2008/09, suffered like you wouldn't believe in 2009/10, and we will most likely be relegated to the Conference in the coming season, but the point is that we have a football club to support, thanks to the determination and power of the fans, and one man in particular.

Now, I appreciate that that was long - winded and most probably gave up long ago, but I came on here to say this: Stockport County fans know full well that you at Southend are struggling, to put it lightly. I don't know the ins - and - outs, but I've heard about the winding up orders, only having a handful of players, the Sainsburys issue with Roots Hall etc, and I can assure you that we are doing everything to help highlight your plight to other supporters, especially with that letter to Sainsburys on Vital.

We might not see eye to eye at times, but we, after the 14 months we've had, wouldn't wish what we've suffered on anyone. The only way, in my eyes at least, to save a 'small' football club is through the power of fans. The first bitter pill is to accept that you are a small club, and that most businesspeople will walk away. Consortiums come and go, and the first ones almost always fail. Also, if it sounds too good to be true, it will be. But if you, as a fanbase, pulll together in the same direction, and either stand behind your chairman Mr. Martin, or put into place actions that will lead to a secure future, then regardless of what happens on the pitch in the short term, then will be a Southend United for you to support in years to come.

I, and my fellow supporters at County, really do wish you all the very best in securing a bright future and having success. Apart from on the opening day of course!!

Spot on and this is what really worries me if the fans cannot be united and try to oust Martin in the wholly mistaken belief that it must be better without him in charge regardless of who the successors are.

I think the majority of it was afterwards, especially with the two stabbings, but we won't take it to heart! (well, the guys that got stabbed did but the rest of us wont)

I think at the moment we're planning to bring a fair few down, though it is the longest trip!

I think the majority of it was afterwards, especially with the two stabbings, but we won't take it to heart! (well, the guys that got stabbed did but the rest of us wont)

I think at the moment we're planning to bring a fair few down, though it is the longest trip!

So in fairness, it probably wasn't anything to do with the football club.....

Hopefully.....

The reason why it took us 14 months to come out of admin was all the in - fighting; as a fanbase we couldn't agree and spent a good 7 months not actually trying to save our club, but playing the blame game. Ultimately the blame falls on literally tens of people's shoulders, but it didn't take us forward.

It sounds like its the same at your place - no matter what Ron Martin has or hasn't done, it doesn't matter, it's history, the key thing is to do something about it.

Thanks a great post. Heres to happier times for us both. I hope the two lads who were attacked by some unsavoury seafront bods, who were not blues fans I believe, made a speedy recovery.

There was a stabbing incident on the sea front on the Saturday night, but it was thought to be unrelated to football, just a random attack by some local thugs who had probably sniffed the barmaids apron.

Thanks for the informative post StockportFan and here's hoping that both clubs will be around to meet on August 7th.

And if you're of a certain age thanks for selling us Brett Angell. St. Angell's Day is celebrated every year at Roots Hall.

Well, last I heard they were in hospital but I think they were ok. I like the way you've already got a picture up of your effective...if uncharismatic.... new manager!!

Talking of Brett Angell - he might well be there on Aug 7th. He's applied to be our new gaffer.

It is not that far to Roots Hall - I am a Southend fan living in Stockport!

Good post and i wish stockport f.c the very best for the future.

Im sure things will work themselves right for both our clubs and then there will be the next couple of clubs to struggle like ourselves while the premiership gets richer.

Talking of Brett Angell - he might well be there on Aug 7th. He's applied to be our new gaffer.

I recall we signed him from you in 1990(?) to replace David Crown, who Dave Webb let go to Gillingham. He did the business down here until he convinced himself he was worthy of the Premiership. Went to Everton and then downhill all the way.

Back