• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Surprised at how much stick Bentley has been getting.

Whilst he may not be the best on the ball, he has a real presence in midfield, gets through a lot of work and won countless headers. I'm sure the Swindon midfield did not appreciate playing against him - the thought must have been going through their mind that if their touch wasn't good Bentley was breathing down their neck ready to clatter them again. That probably helps explain why so many balls were passed out for a throw on.

In fact I thought our midfield's work-rate overall was exceptional. Pettefer was a real terrier, impossible to shake off; Nicolau was full of running (although I felt he didn't offer that much offensively until all the party tricks came out when we were 2-0 up) and Maher appeared up for it, getting into the Swindon midfielders not just holding them from 5 yards away.

We will need to match that work-rate v Darlo as I felt we were very subdued up at their place and allowed the likes of Hignett to play football (which they did very well).

Other comments - thought Flahavan was a little shaky second half - he came for two crosses he didn't get, he got a free-kick for one and was bailed out by Prior for the other. His kicking was also poor. However I'd rather he come for the crosses than be glued to the goal-line like Evans was for Gray's header from 2 yards out.

Flahavan's kicking was as poor as I've ever seen it to be honest. Unless Grimienk was sitting in the East Stand and Darryl was trying to knock him out and extend his run in the team....

And no one should say that Bentley was lazy. He wasn't lazy at all. He tried as hard as anyone else its just not happening for him at the moment.

My sixpence worth. Brilliant performance by one and all. Flahavan coming for crosses positively and claiming the ball a revelation. Nicolau for me looks much better in midfield when he has got somebody behind him rather than exposed at full back, some of his runs were superb.Dudfield class.Maher was Maher he works hard just gets the ball and makes it all tick, if the critics cant see that they know nothing about football.

Well done everyone (er same again saturday please)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Jan. 26 2005,17:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Jan. 26 2005,17:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (lucus @ Jan. 26 2005,16:56)]Yeah by the Hospitality entrance??! They looked pretty ****ed off! Can't blame them really after that performance. We made them look very ordinary!
I think their frustration could be down to a lot more than their team's performance last night, considering that there was a real possibility they wouldn't have a football club to support for much longer. But I see that today "property giants St Modwen are to inject around £750,000 into the club" thereby saving it from the winding up order issued by the Inland Revenue. But would that be good for the long-term future of the club though? Property developer + football club = uncertainty?

WS
Isn't/Wasn't Wrexham owned by a property developer?
Aren't we owned by a property developer?

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Jan. 26 2005,08:15)]Thanks FBM, I needed that report.

Since coming back from our Xmas / New Year trip to the UK, I've been so busy with my production that listening to Southend games has become very difficult.

Last night I made sure there was no filming scheduled. Mrs. OS made sure her band rehearsals finished early... all so that we could drink wine and listen to the Mighty Shrimpers storm in to another LDV Area Final.

Imagine our reaction when, 1 hour before kick-off, half the island (including our locality) was subject to a freak power black-out.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
laugh.gif

GUTTED!!!!!!!!

tounge.gif

This wont get much support, but i thought Kev was anything but ast his best last night. For your information i voted for him being crucial the other day, but i feel he has one of the worst months of his southend career. I was really disappointed with him tonight, the game seemed to pass him by.

Agree with MOM, Nicky was superb, he has been for the five games he has played, fair play to him for working hard to get a place back.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ Jan. 26 2005,22:30)]This wont get much support, but i thought Kev was anything but ast his best last night.  For your information i voted for him being crucial the other day, but i feel he has one of the worst months of his southend career.  I was really disappointed with him tonight, the game seemed to pass him by.

Agree with MOM, Nicky was superb, he has been for the five games he has played, fair play to him for working hard to get a place back.
FWIW, I think the performance levels of certain players last night elevated themselves to a level not seen before, and this has had an effect on how other players performances were perceived.

For instance, Flavs, Hunt, Prior, Wilson, Pettefer and Nicolau played "out of their skins" and at a level higher than what has been their norm - possibly Hunt excepted, who was also superb against Notts County. Pettefer and prior have been decent enough but both I feel played to a higher standard last night.

Consequently some of the others, who have been outstanding more than not, namely Maher, Barrett and Gray, had decent games but they weren't head and shoulders above their teammates as they sometimes have been. Ok I know Gray has been off song a little recently but when Freddy first arrived the two of them were on fire and Wayne was truly outstanding. Barrett has been generally outstanding and in my view gives you absolutely everything all of the time. I'm not going to start another Maher debate but he has been good more often than not so far this season - let's leave it at that.

I had expected much, much more from Bentley this season following an awesome conclusion to last season and a really strong opening few games (except Cheltenham of course, when he was surprisingly axed) when he was probably the best player out there. Since he got sent off at C********r he hasn't been the same player that he was prior to that.

Dudfield has been really unlucky with injuries but has waited patiently and deserves his chance.

What I would like to see now is that level of performance from the whole team on a more consistent basis rather than rely on just 3 or 4 to have good games.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Its grim up north! @ Jan. 26 2005,21:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Jan. 26 2005,08:15)]Thanks FBM, I needed that report.

Since coming back from our Xmas / New Year trip to the UK, I've been so busy with my production that listening to Southend games has become very difficult.

Last night I made sure there was no filming scheduled. Mrs. OS made sure her band rehearsals finished early... all so that we could drink wine and listen to the Mighty Shrimpers storm in to another LDV Area Final.

Imagine our reaction when, 1 hour before kick-off, half the island (including our locality) was subject to a freak power black-out.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
laugh.gif

GUTTED!!!!!!!!

tounge.gif
****!

mad.gif

tounge.gif

Back