• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This is a really difficult comparison to be honest. There are quite a few factors other than footballing ability which makes comparing last year's side with this years probably a little unfair. As we all know there were big financial problems last year and I think it is fair to say that they contributed to the mood in the camp quite a lot - although of course we dont know the whole story.

In the circumstances, at the end of last season I really feel that a complete change was in the best interests of the footballing side of the club. There were too many bad feelings and damaged relationships. You have to feel for Tilly in particular, but in the end a change of management - either football management or club ownership - was the only way to go IMO. One of those is much easier to achieve, as there would need to be a serious bidder for the club out there to effect a change at the very top. Ron has achieved some good things in terms of moving us towards a new stadium, and mismanaged the people side and PR side of things pretty woefully at times. Unfortunately there isnt such a bidder as far as we know, not one who really has the resources to build on the good things Ron has achieved. There might be at some stage, but it wasnt going to happen in time for this season.

All of the above therefore played a big part in how the team performed last year IMO. Hearts werent in it ultimately - whereas they really do seem to be this year - that is a crucial change. The feelgood factor is starting to return - at least within the club.

On pure playing ability we had some talented players last year. Equally we have got some really talented guys this year. So perhaps the fairest question would be to ask, based on pure playing ability alone (not comparing 2009 results/performances with 2010 per se, and discounting all the outside factors such as pay etc, simply on players ability) who would get into a select XI combining the two sides?

Or put it a other way if Paul was managing our 2009 we would have still be in league 1. Pay or no pay the players should have been able to give 100% for 90minutes but too many including the manager saw that as an excuse for lack of effort.

Totally disagree Im afraid! Do you really think the current squad would have been happy to give 100% not having been paid!!

Totally disagree Im afraid! Do you really think the current squad would have been happy to give 100% not having been paid!!
And that's the crux. This time last year the cracks were already showing. On paper, the team of 2009 ought to wipe the floor with this lot but off the field activities might have already been affecting individuals.

And that's the crux. This time last year the cracks were already showing. On paper, the team of 2009 ought to wipe the floor with this lot but off the field activities might have already been affecting individuals.

I disagree. Even if 2009 had the better individuals (or rather the stars may have been better), that team always looked imbalanced to me. You may recall me bemoaning that at the time, suggesting that we were struggling for rhythm and a style of play. This was when I really began urging Tilly to play Moussa in the middle to speed up our passing. We also needed to sign a centre-half who could play with Barrett (Mvoto I suppose might have been this, but he got injured and we never really got to find out) or switch him to left-back or something.

Much prefer our present squad: bar Barnard... Sturrock has done an amazing job, when all things are considered.
Regardless of the off field mayhem, the 2009 team should not have gone down, IMO.
While the pay and other issues were a huge influence, surely the blame is at the feet of those players on the pitch and at the end of the day ST?
Surely the buck stops there? Isn't that is why we call them professionals; that the have the nous to handle not only the physical, but also the mental factors!
I think too many of us on here let them of the hook for what happened in us going down.
Go Shrimpers 2010; RIP Shrimpers 2009

Much prefer our present squad: bar Barnard... Sturrock has done an amazing job, when all things are considered.
Regardless of the off field mayhem, the 2009 team should not have gone down, IMO.
While the pay and other issues were a huge influence, surely the blame is at the feet of those players on the pitch and at the end of the day ST?
Surely the buck stops there? Isn't that is why we call them professionals; that the have the nous to handle not only the physical, but also the mental factors!
I think too many of us on here let them of the hook for what happened in us going down.
Go Shrimpers 2010; RIP Shrimpers 2009

O.K. if the current players and management are not paid do you think they would be 100% up for it and be able to avoid relegation?

Ah just seen another poster Fairpont has already asked the exact same question in response to another post.

Back