• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anything less than top spot and I will be burning an effigy of Luggy outside the Fish House.

I agree - our 5 million pound credit facility and great attendances and very good manager should get us out past competitors like Accrinton Stanley att - 1,812 and back into league One - anything else is more failure -

play off places in lge 1 in 2012 and we will have undone all Ron Martins best work -

If we sign a decent striker on loan who will score a fair few then definatly pushing for promaotion as i feel that is all we are lacking at the moment but we havnt really got any goal getters so without that we will just miss out on the play offs

There has been a significant improvement since Stockport and Aldershot.If we can continue to improve I think there is every chance of a very interesting season.

At this early stage, I would say play offs, i.e between 4th & 7th. Remember last year in this league, play off places were still up for grabs for the top 12 until the final day. This proves that the difference between mid table and play offs (which seems to be the consensus) could be a couple more wins out of 46 games. Thus our share of good luck and a lack of injuries at crucial times could be decisive.

still too early to be making bold predictions yet, look at saturday....first half was class, torquay (league leaders) didnt even deserve to be on the same pitch...2nd half we almost buckled under an intense hoofball onslaught. give it another month I think we will see a clearer picture

Play-offs are definitely acheiveable this season IMHO. January will be a telling time, but assuming we keep our best players and perhaps bring in one or two then top three finish could be on the cards.

Before the season started Stan James had Southend to win the division at 22/1...they have recently lengthened the odds quite considerably to 40/1...which, as an EW (top 3 finish), I find to be a pretty decent bet.

January? I'm banking on us getting it all tied up by December.

30 posts and not a hint of negativity. Come on Glasgow and Cricko where are you? :p

Remember that last season we saved our best performances for the big teams and played poorly against those we were expected to beat (Admittedly, we lost the big games too....). I want to see how we play against the likes of Morecambe before judging. I do wonder whether our 'business plan' will allow us to spend more than a season in FL2.

Remember that last season we saved our best performances for the big teams and played poorly against those we were expected to beat (Admittedly, we lost the big games too....). I want to see how we play against the likes of Morecambe before judging. I do wonder whether our 'business plan' will allow us to spend more than a season in FL2.

I agree with you here, especially about the business plan - in fact we (though of course it's a remarkably different 'we') only got relegated from the championship because we won and lost the wrong games - took points off most of the top 10 and gave them away disastrously to all of the bottom 10. But last year's team didn't look like relegation fodder till half way through, so we have to be cautious. I'm very supportive of this year's Blues because it seems to me they are putting a hell of a lot of commitment into it all, but we still should be conscious of the fact that Ron is putting a hell of a lot more commitment into this Southend than he did to the last one - ultimately he held the key then and he holds it now - and once the £5m is gone where do we turn? Bouncing between championship and Lge 1 is frustrating but between league 1 and league 2 is just back to where I came in nearly 50 years ago!!

With no North East teams or Carlisle in the division I believe the furthest we'll go this season will be Morecambe. Though Torquay is a pretty long trip as well.

Of course the FA Cup could provide a chance to go further.

can i just add only a few Strange people thought a few bad results was us going into non league i think deep dpwn we all knew/though we could be up there i actualy beleive we win get promoted this year maybe even win the league so much so i put a few to many pounds on us to win the league at 25/1

Well I believed (and still do) that this team needed a few games to gel and for Sturrock to find his starting 11. Not quite there yet but I got a bet on at 50/1 after the Port Vale game. Well worth a tenner punt at those odds.

Pretty similar to Ayrshire, head says just outside the play offs, heart says comfortably inside or possibly even automatics.

Myself and a few work mates bought shrimpers total points at 56 at the start of the season.. Gills where beind made 70 odd.. we figured most market makers in 'total points' would look at the bankrupcy news rsther than sturrock coming in and the players being signed.. Watching us ag stockport I thought we would get better this season.. The first half against Torquay makes me feel comfortable with my bet

I don't think we have anywhere near enough in the final third to finish in the playoffs. Top half is a realistic aim. We may be in contention if Sturrock can unearth a gem in the loan market because all over the rest of the park we have enough quality.

If we win 4 of the first 10 league games then I reckon play-offs, 5 of the first 10 then automatics. Anything less- palookaville.

II think if we can find a striker quickly i will top up my large bet i had at the start of the season to win the league. Have faith.

Back