• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

...well it MIGHT do since we have games coming up thick and fast, our team isn't functioning as a unit, we have no quality on the bench to shake things up and so many of our better quality loanees have returned to their clubs (even if in some cases this might not be for too long). We certainly don't look capable of playing many sides off the park in the next few weeks that's for sure!

To find our last League win, you actually have to go back to Tuesday 28th October against when we defeated Leeds, but since then we've struggled to 3 draws and 3 defeats.

But here's the thing...

I remain utterly convinced that Steve Tilson, Paul Brush and Ron Martin are exactly the right partnership for this club.

As a club, it's clearly our way to play with a small squad. While we had some concerns at the time, it served us well when we got promoted from the second division and it served us well when we went up as Champions from the first division. You could argue that we had some luck with injuries in those years, but with the odd loan-signing here and the odd-loan signing there, we were able to keep a tight ship and progress with a tight-knit squad. This time around, we've been exposed, but I genuinely think it's going to get better, although as I've said, it's possible it may get worse first!

Replacing Nicky Bailey
Our biggest problem still seems to be this: how do you replace your average, run of the mill, Nicky Bailey. Show me the manager at this level and with this budget who could have replaced a player like this who completely ran the show, a player who swept up in front of the defence, a player who turned defence into attack before popping one it at the other end himself to show the strikers where the net was, a player who left just a couple of games into our new season. Show me that man and I'll show you a footballing genius!

We could have planned for Bailey's departure of course, what with him fresh on the transfer list and all, but then even with a degree of foresight, shiny new Bailey's don't exactly grow on trees.

Playing as a TEAM
It's always been easy to look for scapegoats, be it from our leadership in Ron Martin, our management in Steve Tilson, or in the players individually - Simon Francis, Jimmy Walker, or Kevin Betsy in particular. Some of them will need to look at themselves for their contributions but, for me, it's the team as a whole which needs to start functioning as a unit, from the attack through the midfield and back to the defence. This for me is where we're struggling right now. But for me, it's also where we have reason to be cheerful. Eventually.

In the only games this season where we've managed to start with Freedman and Barnard, for instance, we've won 3-0 at home (Orient), 4-3 away (Crewe) and 1-0 at home (Hereford where the scoreline largely flattered the opposition). Macca was injured yet in those same games we still benefited from a functioning midfield of Sawyer and Christophe, neither of them quite offering the same dominance as Bailey, but fine acquisitions nonetheless.

At the time we were sniffing around the play-offs and playing some enjoyable football yet since that time, our strikers have had injuries and suspensions and our midfield has struggled with the loss of both of the aforementioned midfielders.

Struggling with short term answers
Our midfield is definitely creaking right now. People seemingly are crying for Moussa but he wasn't the answer then and he isn't the answer now. I doubt we'd have been a better team yesterday for example for having had Moussa in it. People argue that Tilson should again have planned better for the loss of our loaned midfielders. They'd be right of course because the gap hasn't been adequately filled. Milsom seems to have been the player Tilson had in mind to see us through the congested period where Christophe isn't able to play but he doesn't seem to be the answer and we may suffer as a result. We're still missing that vital cog in midfield. But that cog ain't easy to find.

Darkest hour before the light
So our otherwise decent attack has been injured or suspended, our midfield is still suffering the brilliance of Nicky Bailey and our defence is stuttering under pressure. We're going into our busiest period of the year. It's going to be rough. We might even lose the next couple of games to add further pressure after our recent poor run of form.

But then comes January...

I believe we will strengthen the team.
I believe that Freedman and Barnard (who brought a huge improvement with them yesterday) will cement their places back in the side, with Laurent, Revell and Walker pushing them from the bench.
I believe this attack will relieve the pressure on our midfield as it did earlier in the season.
Christophe will come back into the midfield.
I believe we will get more value from players like Stanislas.
And I believe our midfield will relieve the pressure on our defence.
Sadly, I also believe our defence will continue to make mistakes at the back but such is life.

Reasons to be cheerful

Folks - it's possible that this isn't going to be the merriest of Christmases but I think we'll turn the corner. We may not even have a season left to chase but how many of us expected miracles this season anyway given where we were at the start. There's still plenty to be cheerful about in the future.

One of those things is a leadership team determined to see us through the difficulties of the current financial climate and take us to a new stadium. Another is a management team that has made more right decisions than wrong ones, and possessing a greater track record of success than failure. And another is the probability of a strengthened team through returning players and new signings.

It's rough right now, but we should certainly keep the faith!

* To stop those delightful allegations from those sharp-witted brainiacs who accuse SZ of being up the club's ****, these are my personal views.

Well said G, however, I remain a long way from being convinced about Stanislas. I have hopes that a Jeff/Macca partnership in the middle will flourish, with both able to defend, create and score. I doubt we will get Sawyer, and I can't see Stanislas staying long so the decisions need to be made as to what we should do because what we really need to make any progress is a team that is settled, has confidence in itself and is winning games, some of the time at least. That obviously can't happen until January at the earliest, so it's a case of treading water until then - Barney and Dougie's return has to give the team a bit of impetus though.

Well said G, however, I remain a long way from being convinced about Stanislas. I have hopes that a Jeff/Macca partnership in the middle will flourish, with both able to defend, create and score. I doubt we will get Sawyer, and I can't see Stanislas staying long so the decisions need to be made as to what we should do because what we really need to make any progress is a team that is settled, has confidence in itself and is winning games, some of the time at least. That obviously can't happen until January at the earliest, so it's a case of treading water until then - Barney and Dougie's return has to give the team a bit of impetus though.

Yes just need them to burgle a few goals and the confidence of the whole team should come flooding back.

The biggest problem isn't replacing Bailey, it is replacing Gower. We've got no-one remotely near Gower's ability on the ball. It is a crying shame that he was hounded out of the club.

Bailey was an excellent player but Christophe can play his role as can Grant. We've got no-one who can give us the quality Gower brought to the side.

This team desperately needs a midfielder with that bit of quality on the ball to replace Gower and then a proper centre-half to replace Clarke.

The biggest problem isn't replacing Bailey, it is replacing Gower. We've got no-one remotely near Gower's ability on the ball. It is a crying shame that he was hounded out of the club.

Bailey was an excellent player but Christophe can play his role as can Grant. We've got no-one who can give us the quality Gower brought to the side.

This team desperately needs a midfielder with that bit of quality on the ball to replace Gower and then a proper centre-half to replace Clarke.

Our failure to replace Gower is crucially important too but, in my opinion, it's impact is lesser. Bailey was at the heart of everything - dispelling attacks against us and creating them for us, not to mention getting on the end of so many chances himself.

"Dream move"s aside and as excellent as Gower could be, I'd much rather have Bailey in our team if it was a straight choice.

Of the players you mentioned, I think Christophe has one set of the qualities Bailey had while Grant has a different set. Unfortunately, the problem is in finding the same player who has both sets. The player does exist but he's now dreaming of a move away from Charlton.

One cannot but agree. I don't like belittling posts because I know how long they take to create and write, but quite honestly most of this has already been said by me and other posters.
The December replacements haven't unfortunately led to the recreation of the side, earlier in the season, that was a match for any in this division. From now to January is likely to be a damage limitation exercise. Our movements in January will hopefully cement our place in the division .........by that time play-off places and promotion will be like chasing shadows (I'm praying that phrase will come back to haunt me ......but sadly I doubt it).
I, for one, will settle for a season of mediocracy as long as we see some steps towards the creation of settled side that will be capable of challenging for promotion next season. (JFC apart, whom, I'm assuming we have already signed) I would probably settle for the scratchy old record of, we've got to replace Bailey and Gower being reduced to, just having to replace one of them.

Our failure to replace Gower is crucially important too but, in my opinion, it's impact is lesser. Bailey was at the heart of everything - dispelling attacks against us and creating them for us, not to mention getting on the end of so many chances himself.

"Dream move"s aside and as excellent as Gower could be, I'd much rather have Bailey in our team if it was a straight choice.

Of the players you mentioned, I think Christophe has one set of the qualities Bailey had while Grant has a different set. Unfortunately, the problem is in finding the same player who has both sets. The player does exist but he's now dreaming of a move away from Charlton.

Oddly enough, I used to be of that opinion, that Bailey was the most crucial loss in the summer. But the moer I look at the team now, and the more I think back to last season when Gower was not on the park, the more obvious to me it is he who is proving so difficult to replace.

Bailey may well have been a superior player to Gower, but crucially, Gower brought a level of guile and creativity to the midfield that no one has since perhaps Ronnie Whelan.

I don't believe we have come close to replacing Bailey for what it's worth, and for many reasons, that is a huge problem, but I would suggest if Gower was still with us, we could compensate for that loss with the likes of JFC and McCormack.

When we played with Bailey last season, but Gower wasn't playing, I think that proved to bne more of an issue.

In addition to those two, I also think what we could do now with a fully functioning Kevin Maher right now? Although he was, and rightly so perhaps, dropped in favour of the more dynamic paring of Bailey and McCormack last season, there were still times when his time on the ball and calming influence were sorely missed, and right now, I would swap almost our entire midfield to have him back on our books.

As for YB's comment about replacing Clarke... I have to agree, we need to replace one of the current incumbents with someone who can command the centre of our defence... but it would be Barrett for me, not Clarke.

As for YB's comment about replacing Clarke... I have to agree, we need to replace one of the current incumbents with someone who can command the centre of our defence... but it would be Barrett for me, not Clarke.

The Clarke/Barrett conundrum is an interesting one. Clarke has slightly less blood on his hands this season and we spent a shed load of money on him initially but I feel we have tied our hands to AB by offering him such a long contract just to stop the inbreds sniffing around, a decision which is still baffling if the club has ambition of going onwards and upwards.

The Clarke/Barrett conundrum is an interesting one. Clarke has slightly less blood on his hands this season and we spent a shed load of money on him initially but I feel we have tied our hands to AB by offering him such a long contract just to stop the inbreds sniffing around, a decision which is still baffling if the club has ambition of going onwards and upwards.

Quite - I am realistic enough to know that AB won't be dropped from the side any time soon, and I am also not blinded enough to know that Clarkey is extremely capable of making cataclismic errors at times, but IMO if Clarke was playing alongside a centre half who could command his box like Sodje or Prior (and not constantly covering for a serial AWOL right back) he could well become one of the best central defenders at this level.

Barrent, however, has reached his level, and is possible playing above it. You're right, the decision to give him an extremely long contract in order to quell any chance of him going up the A12 was a baffling one. But then because he bleeds the Blue blood of Southend, most are extremely forgiving of his shortfalls, and maybe some within the club are too.

It isn't that much of a conundrum when one is under contract for five years and the other is out of contract soon and on the transfer list.

It isn't that much of a conundrum when one is under contract for five years and the other is out of contract soon and on the transfer list.
Good point you have brought up there! Forgot about Clarke being on the list, maybe the club not commiting to him has lowered his confidence which has affected the whole defence? If this makes sense :unsure: - just trying to put a valid point across :D

Good point you have brought up there! Forgot about Clarke being on the list, maybe the club not commiting to him has lowered his confidence which has affected the whole defence? If this makes sense :unsure: - just trying to put a valid point across :D

That still wouldn't explain his performances last season or in the championship.

That still wouldn't explain his performances last season or in the championship.
Thought he done fairly well last season? I suppose he didn't match our high expectations.. But anyway like I said I was just trying to put across a point..:)

What worries me about Tilson is that even after two and a half years he still seems to think that Barrett and Clarke can play together, there is not even a back up centre half to provide competition for places. Our two years of success were built on the solid partnership of Barrett and Prior plus the fact that Sodje and Edwards could come in and do a job.

What worries me about Tilson is that even after two and a half years he still seems to think that Barrett and Clarke can play together, there is not even a back up centre half to provide competition for places. Our two years of success were built on the solid partnership of Barrett and Prior plus the fact that Sodje and Edwards could come in and do a job.

I think the problem was Prior Sodje and Edwards were never going to last long as they were all towards the end of their careers and Tilly thought Clarke would be a good replacement, the downside is we have no competition for places so they will continue to get picked even if they play rubbish as we have no-one else at the moment.

Back