• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
I have not really enjoyed the posts over the last few days on the zone. It seems to be getting more and more like the Rivals site everyday.

Now, contrary to popular belief, I am NOT one of those who sees everything through rose tinted spectacles. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and whether it is universally agreed with or not they are entitled to air it.

No-one is right or wrong; in a strange way, everyone actually makes a good and valid point and is both right AND wrong.

We have made a poor start. Yet again our pre-season optimism has been quashed by the equivalent of a large bucket of icy water being thrown on us by the players to dampen our fire for the new season. How dare they! We had the makings of a decent side last season and now, having supposedly "strengthened" the squad (look at the competition for places) we have players not doing the business, not showing the passion, not scoring the goals and not getting the results. After 3 games this is actually something to be slightly concerned about; for an average side you would expect to have taken at least 3 or 4 points out of those three games. We haven't; but Tilly and Ron have publicly stated that they are not panicking, it will all come good, etc. etc. Surely an admission that this is causing them a touch of concern, otherwise why say anything?

Yet the season really is only 3 games old and 2 of those have been away from home. It is not unusual to lose away from home and by all intents and purposes we performed well at Lincoln. We have lost one home game but big deal! Even the good league 2 sides will lose 2/3 games at home... so there is no need for panic just yet.

One of the reasons I think we are all so cheesed off is again because we were so optimistic that this would be "our" year. Well, it still may be... who knows? But personally I feel as though nothing has really been solved... we are still conceding too many goals and showing a very worrying inability to score them. Still, we all had the faith last year and because of Tillys reputation he will get longer than most managers to correct things I am sure.

In fairness to the "moaners", we have had so many seasons of dross it is difficult at the moment to see the upside. The fans so badly want a team they can be proud of; the odd bad performance is expected but there are too many for most peoples liking and we KNOW that the players are generally capable of more than they are giving. Abusing them is understandable and if it has to be done then the end of the game is the time to do it. But as a unit we MUST get behind them on Saturday and create the sort of atmosphere that was generated for most of the latter part of last season.

But please people, bear this in mind;

1) The players are not trying to lose; they want their win bonuses
2) Believe me it is better to hear cheers than jeers so they will not be trying to miss; they aim to score
3) In football history every team has won games at some point, and so will we
4) I really doubt we have anyone in the comfort zone this year BUT having said that I would like to see more attacking options on the bench, but that is not the players fault
5) Everyone but everyone on this board wants success for the club, and must pull in the same direction.

So let's build up to the weekend with some positive stuff rather than this drivel that has been posted over the last couple of days, ok?

COME ON YOU BLUES!!!

Totally agreed, You can understand people getting angry,upset and frustrated when they pay £16.50 one of the higher charges in this division to watch football that doesn't much up. If you bought a top that felt itchy when you put it on then ud prob take it back and get your money back, you can't do that in football. We've had a horrible 8-9 yrs people will get angry but most come back week after week. Theres not been many if any Tilly out posts and i think people deserve some slack here.

Lets get behind the team and get 3 points on Saturday.

I've stopped reading most of the comments on here in the past few days and tried to stay well away as it will only rile me...

Well said fbm and i'm sure if a couple of good results come our way then my prediction of 12th will be correct.

Kev

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Aug. 18 2004,01:19)]I've stopped reading most of the comments on here in the past few days and tried to stay well away as it will only rile me...

Well said fbm and i'm sure if a couple of good results come our way then my prediction of 12th will be correct.

Kev
Same here, reading the posts on here in the last 2-3 days would have got me so frustrated and annoyed that I have kept well away.

FBM, top post! At the end of the day we are all SUPPORTERS of the super blues so lets SUPPORT them. Bring on Cambridge and the first 3 points of the season!

See you all on Saturday, hopefully put some faces to names in the Spread before hand.

Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've stopped reading most of the comments on here in the past few days and tried to stay well away as it will only rile me...

Same here General. Sadly, it was nothing if not predictable.
Well put FBM - I think that just about sums it up although I'd add a number 6 to your list.

6) The other team just might also be trying to stop us from winning.

Have to say I to have been not bothering reading most of the posts on here recently, I have limited time to read this board and it seems that people keep going over the same thing again and again. So far I have gleamed that if you are trying to stay optimistic than you are a muppet who wears rose tinted glasses and if your a pessimistic about the season so far, you just want instant glory and are not a real fan so should f**k to a Sky funded team.

Come on people get real and chill. We are an average 4th Division team (yes I mean 4th, i now refuse to use any modern term bloody corporates bods ruining our game - humbug ) so we will need to realise that. Of course every dog has its day but i guess we used ours up getting promoted twice on the bounce.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Aug. 18 2004,10:00)]Of course every dog has its day but i guess we used ours up getting promoted twice on the bounce.
Duly repaid by getting relegated twice on the bounce.

Have to agree that I can't read the Victor Meldrew posts of late....far too many things to smile about in life.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Aug. 18 2004,10:00)]I to have been not bothering reading most of the posts on here recently, and it seems that people keep going over the same thing again and again.
well said Andee, and my feelings exactly. There is not really a great deal that we can do, is there? As long as Tilly & Brush know there are problems ( which they do ) then I'm quite happy to let them get on with it.

Excellent post fbm, although I would say that surely IT IS more acceptable to "vent your anger" on this board than it is to insult the players TO THEIR FACES...

When you see beads of sweat on their brow and a wringing wet shirt on these players, as I have in the past... you know they've had a hard game!!! remember, they are only doing their best and shouting abuse at them achieves absolutely nothing in terms of the team performing well in the future...

C'MON YOU BLUE BOYS!
blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Aug. 18 2004,10:08)]Excellent post fbm, although I would say that surely IT IS more acceptable to "vent your anger" on this board than it is to insult the players TO THEIR FACES...

When you see beads of sweat on their brow and a wringing wet shirt on these players, as I have in the past... you know they've had a hard game!!! remember, they are only doing their best and shouting abuse at them achieves absolutely nothing in terms of the team performing well in the future...

C'MON YOU BLUE BOYS!  
blues.gif
Depending upon circumstances Technician there's nothing wrong with either.

What we have had for the last couple of years is a classic manic depressives attitude to supporting this club.  The highs are incredible and the lows have been deep.  We win a couple and we are going to win the league; we lose a couple and we are conference bound.

Yes there is cause for concern at some of the levels of performance.  But for anyone who plays or has played football at any level, can you possibly pinpoint exactly why, on certain occasions, that crossfield pass you made once landed exactly at your teammates feet but on another occasion a similar pass meant a member of the opposition had to trek across the adjoining pitch in order to retrieve the ball?

What I'm saying is that somethimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  What none of us can (or should) forgive is a lack of effort.  But lets make the players want to play for the fans.  If there is too much abuse then many of them - especially the younger ones - will freeze and simply not do anything for fear of making a mistake.   What you then have is a team that always takes the safe option and never seeks to try something that might unock the oppositions door.  I fear we have some of that already, hence the lack of chances being created.  Encouragement and support rather than vitriolic abuse is required from the stands on Saturday.

BLUE ARMY!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Aug. 18 2004,01:07)]You can understand people getting angry,upset and frustrated when they pay £16.50 one of the higher charges in this division to watch football that doesn't much up.
Luke, you appear to have a unhealthy obsession with money!

How about : "You can understand people getting angry, upset and frustrated when they see their team failing to perform to a standard they expect" which I think is more closer to the truth than worrying about £16.50. I know when I was back in England, the last thing on my mind when we lost was the admission fee. I was more concerned about how the team performed (or not) on the pitch and whether they would rectify their mistakes in time for the next game.

WS

Although the admission price does have some bearing. Generally when you're at the game and you've paid you're money you don't think about it - just what the standard of play was. However, you may think twice about shelling out for the next game - £16.50 is a lot of money to watch 4th division football and some people would rather spend that money doing other things such as a round of golf. This being the reason that attendances drop when the team is struggling and rise when a team is playing well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Aug. 18 2004,18:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Aug. 18 2004,01:07)]You can understand people getting angry,upset and frustrated when they pay £16.50 one of the higher charges in this division to watch football that doesn't much up.

How about : "You can understand people getting angry, upset and frustrated when they see their team failing to perform to a standard they expect" which I think is more closer to the truth than worrying about £16.50. I know when I was back in England, the last thing on my mind when we lost was the admission fee. I was more concerned about how the team performed (or not) on the pitch and whether they would rectify their mistakes in time for the next game.

WS
It’s not a question of money for me if it was I wouldn’t support Southend, but if your asking prospective supporters to watch Southend for that sort of money can you blame them if they laugh in your face?

I hate to say it but Orient are cheaper, Colchester, weather we like it or not they are better than us and cheaper to boot.

If the football is of a decent standard then agreed you get what you pay for, but I fear too many times you don't get that at Southend.

It's ok for the real die hard section they will put up with it and go, most people on this board come under that. Bt if you want to put more bums on seats which i thought was needed to get revenue to help keep the bailiffs away and help Tilly out then you have to look at the admission prices, level of performance and our local rivals and we over charge for what you get. What im trying to say is, one really poor performance is fine but if you have 2-3 really bad performances and your paying that sort of money then people are bound to feel a bit cheated and angry.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Aug. 19 2004,11:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Aug. 18 2004,18:44)]
[b said:

WS
It’s not a question of money for me if it was I wouldn’t support Southend, but if your asking prospective supporters to watch Southend for that sort of money can you blame them if they laugh in your face?

I hate to say it but Orient are cheaper, Colchester, weather we like it or not they are better than us and cheaper to boot.

If the football is of a decent standard then agreed you get what you pay for, but I fear too many times you don't get that at Southend.

It's ok for the real die hard section they will put up with it and go, most people on this board come under that. Bt if you want to put more bums on seats which i thought was needed to get revenue to help keep the bailiffs away and help Tilly out then you have to look at the admission prices, level of performance and our local rivals and we over charge for what you get. What im trying to say is, one really poor performance is fine but if you have 2-3 really bad performances and your paying that sort of money then people are bound to feel a bit cheated and angry.
As a season ticket holder the admission fee for me is not an issue; I have made a conscious decision to pay a sum of money for a season so I can see the Blues and I guess that holds for most seasos.

However, for the casual supporter the admission price IS an issue, and whilst I am sure, as Mike says, they are primarily concerned at the standard of play during the game, on the way out there will be certain rumblings of "And I paid £16.50 for that pile of sh*te!" which will almost certainly have an effect on their decision whether they come to the next match or not.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Aug. 19 2004,11:46)]the way out there will be certain rumblings of "And I paid £16.50 for that pile of sh*te!" which will almost certainly have an effect on their decision whether they come to the next match or not.
Agreed, i will renew my ST next season regardless of price and results, ok i might have a bit of a moan at the price but for a number of reasons i like having a ST and it supports the club over the summer period.

And thats what im saying with regards prospective fans, Its ok laying on this bloody family days and its good don't get me wrong but Roots Hall is a place for football and people come for that and if its not up to scratch and your paying top dollar then people will stop turning up.

I can bear losing. Just can't stand it when the shirts enter the field of play bereft of the players spirit inside them. There's been quite a few games where we've lost and i've walked away feeling ok about it. perhaps moaning about being robbed by one of many refs. Huddersfield IIRC where we outplayed them and ended up losing.
That said if we run rings around Cambridge and end up losing I will be a tad miffed!

I take it Roget's not playing?

Just to chuck my hat in the Ring.

This issue of £16.50 being a lot of money......

I grant you i have no children but do have a mortgage etc...
I'm not exactly flushed with money but i don't think (These days) that £16.50 is not a lot of money for 90 mins + plus build up etc..

You can spend more than that on a few beers and a packet of fags and not enjoy the same buzz win / lose.

I understand to a point the people that pay a a great deal more to watch away games but even then, is it not a risk you take ?......I go away and know that i may well spent £100+ and come home fed up and annoyed but i go knowing that....I still go cause i don't want to miss the time we play great....its what keeps you going.

Thats the reason i don't buy the i pay £16.50 argument.
Take up a hobby that Guarantee's satisfaction...any ideas ?

Back