• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BaileytheQuitter

Spelling Guru
Even before I start writing this article I get a feeling it is hard to keep/get everyone feeling positive with the current situation of the squad/lack of signings. But we do need to remember, we do still have some good players, who can do a decent job. Okay.

Steve Mildenhall- Massive improvement towards the end of last season. A solid keeper who is growing in confidence.

Simon Francis- My suggestion would be (with the current team) to play him at CB, with preferably Adam Barrett. He played there at Orient away last year and thought he actually put in a good performance. His got height in his advantage and wouldn't be a disaster to have him at CB.

Adam Barrett- The guy will end his career with Southend. Didn't have the best time at CB with Clarke but could link up well with Franno/another CB. Can also play at LB, fans favourite and will give everything for the club.

Anthony Grant- Strong CM, hard tackling and had a good second half of the season. Seems quite highly rated with most of our fans. Good CM to have in the side, especially for away games.

Alan McCormack- Whenever someone writes about Macca they usually end up saying, IF his in his good form. As midfield isn't our weakest area we can afford to have players out of form as they will have cover and competition. Can score goals, tackle and add bite to the team.

Lee Barnard- I would say, our best striker. Lack of fitness is his main problem, obviously. But natural goal scorer, good finisher and adds goals. Similar to Macca in the respect that he is one of many strikers, which means if a striker is out of form there is back up.

James Walker- Worrying start to this season with fitness. But there is alot of potential with James and has pace. Decent back up. Can also play on either wing- as seen at Orient, scoring in the last minute from the left wing.

Alex Revell- Hard working, our only real target man- and can fill that role as seen last season, will get assists and act as a good foil. Unlikely to get many goals but with someone like Barnard the pressure to get goals is lessened.

Damien Scannell- With the clubs lack of wingers he is likely to get alot of games, if he gets fit. Sadly I think he really needed a solid pre season behind him but hopefully he can get fit. I think he can do a decent job.

Franck Moussa- Not much needs to be said surely? Could be the star of our season, such a bright spark in our team. Youthful, has skill and his maturing. Combine this with the goals his shown he can get and the fact he can fill in at LM and he will be a big player for us.

Osei Sankofa- If Francis is to fill in at CB then Sankofa will be out new RB and I didn't think he was that bad when he played there, despite people critisising him. I would be happy for Osei to play at RB.

Dougie Freedman- The experience in the side. If we're to have a hard season his experience alone could be vital. Still also has a good touch and is a classy striker. Maybe not our first choice striker but good to have in the side and good aid for the younger players and other strikers.

Johnny Herd- Our only real LB and it's encouraging to have youth players coming through. Good performances against Chelsea and in the games around. Unlucky to lose his place in the side and could feature heavily, even though I think we're likely to sign a first choice LB. Herd is good cover.

Jean Francois Christophe- Looks like he may be filling in at CB at the moment. Good CM, very good CDM, and his got a fair amount of goals considering his not that attacking. Strong and good in the air.

Kevin Betsy- With Scannell, our only other natural RM, so although I'm not his biggest fan he may have a big part to play.

Francis Laurent- Still a bit of an unknown quantity but has glimpses of flair and good potential. Could be a candidate for RM with Scannell and Betsy injured.

Thoughts? As I said, it does seem hard to remain positive and this does highlight how light our defence is.

I agree that we have some good players on the books but, unfortunately, probably 4 of our 5 best players play in the same position (central midfield). I think we are ridiculously light on numbers in defence and have a serious problem with keeping our forward players fit. Barney, Dougie and Walker all have questionable fitness records and Revell has just come back from a serious injury and will probably suffer setbacks. Combine this with the fact that Laurent tends to only turn up for some games and I think our problem probably lie a lot more deeper than just not having a fit centre-half.

My first 4 on the team sheet would be:

Mildenhall
Christophe
Francis
Grant

Different class to the rest imo

Nice sentiments but the facts are the facts. At this moment in time we have

* No left back
* Adam Barrett part injured
* No other centre back
* No left winger bar Moussa who dont want to play there
* No real right winger (Tilly cant rate Betsy or Scannell)
* Only creative player is on loan
* Very little signs of new players as yet

So you will have to excuse me if I dont feel to positive. Sorry

I like reading your posts jim..

I can definetly see the doubt amongst us all, but would still firmly say that Tillys bunch of men in right now aren't half bad :)

Still have faith

Nice sentiments but the facts are the facts. At this moment in time we have

* No left back
* Adam Barrett part injured
* No other centre back
* No left winger bar Moussa who dont want to play there
* No real right winger (Tilly cant rate Betsy or Scannell)
* Only creative player is on loan
* Very little signs of new players as yet

So you will have to excuse me if I dont feel to positive. Sorry

Oh yeah, we're in the sh*t, but I guess I'd like to make the best of the situation?

Trying to remain positive,but my god this club realy do no how to push the faith of there supporters to the limited. Never mind, lets hope it all comes right by the 8th of next month,but i do get a feeling we will make signings only days before the Huddersfield game.

Mildenhall
Christophe
Francis
Grant

Is that a joke?
Mildenhall is obviously the first name on the team sheet, then Adam
Barrett, our only centre back, then Lee Sawyer, the only creative player in the team and can make something out of nothing and will be 1 hell of a player 1 day and then Lee Barnard, good striker who runs all day, knows where to go and is always in the right place at the right time.
Francis, JFC and Grant are all good players but not 3 of the first 4 names on the team sheet.

Let's not be mistaken, there is a lot riding on the events of the next couple of weeks even more important than the composition of the side that will face Huddersfield in the first match of the season.
In the range of views on here, from pessimistic to optimistic, I would place myself towards the optimists and generally supportive of Ron Martin. However, the longer we have entered into July, without any activity on the transfer front, it can't be denied that general tendence has shifted towards a mood of pessimism. I don't want to enter into the debate about the exact financial situation of the club.........none of us on here really know what it is, apart from the fact that we are not flushed with cash and have important financial constraints. I want to deal with things that we have actually been told would happen.
Last season Ron told us that we would not leave it until the last minute to bring players in. Well, OK, I understand that the financial situation may have worsened since that time and sadly that hope proved unfounded. We have then gone through early July with stories of failed offers and deals........yet we have been assured that some money is available. We've had Ron and Geoffrey King giving assurance that players will be brought in. Now it's Tilly saying he wont be panicked to bringing just anyone in and remain patient.
I have always questioned the wisdom of making such statements because the failure to match actions with words whittles away at the fabric of confidence and belief, rather like a political party in power, that fails to fulfill its promises. Thus the danger is that if no one is brought in apart from a few bodies on loan to fill the gaps, it opens the ground for those who want to question the truth behind far more important issues than our transfer dealings, or rather, lack of. In simple terms people will start saying .....if all that has been said about transfers is untrue then can we have belief in what is said about the grand projects planned and even the viability of the clubs future.
I'm just hoping that there will be some action on the transfer front over the next couple of weeks......................or just praying that some people had kept their mouths shut.

Trying to take some positives from Tuesday I looked at the team that finished the match. Obviously it wasn't full strength but there were a lot of young players out there, Herd, O'Keefe, Calver, Sawyer, Moussa, then players like Lee Barnard, JFC, Grant as well as Walker, Scannell and Joyce will be around for another 10 years or so the futures bright!

It is pretty much the same on here every season, we will get players in just a matter of when (cutting it fine at the mo admittedly) in an ideal world we would have all our signings for the start of pre season and have a decent size squad etc, but for whatever reasons we do not have this at the mo, as I said earlier we will get the required players just not as quick as many would like

Although you can't ignore the defensive issues, I still feel reasonably positive about the squad as a whole. And I'm sure T&B are well aware we can't start the season without at least 2 recognised CB's & i'm backing them to sort that out before the season starts. Yes its late but we won't be the only club making last minute signings.

We might not get into the top 6 but i'll still be surprised if we're not in the top half.

Also, I have a feeling the moose could really take off this season, I think that boy could develope into something special.

My final point is that in the current climate of even many L1 clubs having multi-millionaire chairman, we just have to accept that we can't compete financially when it comes to the players that everyone wants. We have to trust in T&B's proven ability in finding bargains or free transfers. Thats the way it is. Things will change when the rich boys get bored & realise they're not actually going to make any long term money out of propping up a col u, a swindon, or a brighton etc etc. At the end of the day, when a bloke who can't even get into Watford's first team squad (and remember they nearly got relegated last year!) has got half a dozen L1 clubs throwing towards £300k at him, it shows this league has gone mad & we're better off not risking our future by joining in with the gamblers.

Blimey, when I started this it was going to be a one liner! I'll go & do some work now..

Mildenhall
Christophe
Francis
Grant

My definites for the first team would be:

Mildy
Barrett
Moussa
Barnard.

The 4 Cm's we have are all quality but not one of them has that position rapped up, all competing in there.

The team I would like to see us put out this season is:

Mildy
Sankofa [permanent] Barrett Herd
Scannell JFC Sawyer Moussa
Barnard Revell​

Backups:

Joyce
Franno Franno Franno [perm/loan]
Betsy Grant McCormack [loanee]
Laurent Walker​

Trying to take some positives from Tuesday I looked at the team that finished the match. Obviously it wasn't full strength but there were a lot of young players out there, Herd, O'Keefe, Calver, Sawyer, Moussa, then players like Lee Barnard, JFC, Grant as well as Walker, Scannell and Joyce will be around for another 10 years or so the futures bright!

Yeah they will all be around for at least 10 years but probably not with us. If they do well we will sell them as we need the cash and if they are crap they will go for nothing.

My definites for the first team would be:

Mildy
Barrett
Moussa
Barnard.

Agreed.

However my first team would be:

Mildy
Betsy Grant Sawyer Moussa
Barnard Revell​

Bench: Joyce, Francis, JFC, Macca, Laurent, Walker, Dougie.​

It's a tough choice between Jeff and Grant and even though JFC & Sawyer were good together last season, Granty's performances at the end
of the season were outstanding.​

Don't forget, it's the Year of the Moose people. I can't believe people are saying Sawyer is our only creative player, Moussa is equally as creative and finished with the most assists last season after only really featuring after january.​

Last edited:
It is pretty much the same on here every season, we will get players in just a matter of when (cutting it fine at the mo admittedly) in an ideal world we would have all our signings for the start of pre season and have a decent size squad etc, but for whatever reasons we do not have this at the mo, as I said earlier we will get the required players just not as quick as many would like

Is this your way of telling us that we WON'T now be signing anyone this week?

I can announce that Leeblue is correct that I will not be signing this week as negotiations have stalled over my signing on fee. The club have offered 2 cases of strongbow but i'm holding out for 6 cases. I feel Ron is waiting for the special offers at Tesco's to come back on before meeting me half way. Only time will tell

Agreed.

However my first team would be:

Mildy
Betsy Grant Sawyer Moussa
Barnard Revell​

Apart from the defence looking quite a way under par..
That doesn't look too dire to me at the moment. Hoever, this is disregarding injuries and substitutes and assuming parmenter isn't availible in league matches.

I can announce that Leeblue is correct that I will not be signing this week as negotiations have stalled over my signing on fee. The club have offered 2 cases of strongbow but i'm holding out for 6 cases. I feel Ron is waiting for the special offers at Tesco's to come back on before meeting me half way. Only time will tell
At least they've upped it from the R Whites Lemonade bottle they offered me in June.

Back