• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend united v Gillingham JPT trophy 1st round

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Well what a difference a year makes.

This time last year we would have been not overly bothered about this tournemant and would have been eyeing up another shot at the play-offs and a route back into the championsip.

Gillingham respectively would have been looking to finish comfortably mid-table and maybe harboured an outside hope of a top ten finish.

What followed , certainly for us has been highly documented and Gillinghams collapse would be solely blamed on a dismal away record which must rank as one of the worst in the football league history books.

So two teams that really shouldnt have been playing basement football find themselves plying there trade just one division above the non league pyramid.

Southend have changed pretty much everything for the forthcoming season.

Steve Tilson was placed on garden leave and followed Paul brush who had left a few months earlier.

The squad which had been assembled gradually over the last few season was disbanded with the high earners given there wish to have contracts destroyed and the few that remained would have been bewildered as to the state of the club and such was the worry by the fans that the club would not continue that talk of reforming was muted.

As we now know , it never quite got that stage but it was obvious a strong character was needed and so it came to pass that Paul sturrock was to be the man to restore the clubs fortunes (on the pitch)

No less than 20 players came in a record time period of just a few weeks and some 17 odd signing in just one day.

Gillingham must also have been dreading the forthcoming campaign and there manager ex Southend player Mark stimson was relieved of duties and replaced with former player and manager and fans favourite Andy hessenthaler. The chairman Paul scally who i can only be described as nerd chic (maybe without the chic)has demanded an immediate return so the pressure will be on for them to escape at the first attempt.

In the league both clubs have endured a a similar start with neither team really showing a promotion bite although southend united are showing signs of recovery, so it comes as a welcome relief to welcome the Gills to roots hall for the first round of the JPT this evening.

I would not pretend to know an awful lot about Gillinghams first team , but i do know that pre-seaon target Adebayo Akinfenwa is to be rested for tonights match having picked up a seriies of niggles.

Southend manager Paul Sturrock has already insisted that he wants to win everygame and in order to do that he will field his strongest side .

Unfortunately that may be out of his hands with Sean Clohessy serving a one match ban for two yellow cards and Chris Barker still in negotiation with both Southend and Plymouth about a further loan following the initial one month loan having expired after the Bradford match.

Tonights game has been reasonably priced to attract fans that have been hard to come by after all of the upheaval of the summer months .

And after the displeasure was voiced of only having the east stand opened for our league cup win over bristol city the correct descision was made to open then west stand also.

The last time Southend played this level of football this competition was kind to us and i hope that we will mirror our achievments in this competition this term.

I will go for a 2-0 southend united win with Bilel and Corr on the score sheet with some 3,300 in attendance.

Please post your pre-match thoughts and musings along with score and crowd prediction in the usual way.

UTB

Last edited:
If that's true about Fat-boi, then that's the best news we could have wished for. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to extra time but unless Mr Ward costs us then I do expect a win, 2-1, with Moshni and Sturrock scoring.

Nice write up. Anyone have any news on Barker's availability?

Morris​

Simpson Mohsni Barker* Gilbert​

Hall Grant Easton Zaaboub​

Corr Sturrock​

*Coughlan to come in if Barker's loan hasn't been extended.

2-1 Corr and Mohsni

3,187 Attendence.

Nice write up. Anyone have any news on Barker's availability?

Morris​

Simpson Mohsni Barker* Gilbert​

Hall Grant Easton Zaaboub​

Corr Sturrock​

*Coughlan to come in if Barker's loan hasn't been extended.

2-1 Corr and Mohsni

3,187 Attendence.

Barker's loan won't be up yet.

I'm going to this one with some mates and I can't see many goals, maybe a 1-1 with a penalty shoot-out? A crowd of around 2,500 I reckon. If that.

Any idea if pay on the gate, or do I have to buy a ticket before hand?

After saying I wasn't going back to The Hall this season whilst Ron's still in charge, I've decided football is football, and sod who owns the club.. I won't let one man ruin my fun! First time back at the hall tonight!

Any idea if pay on the gate, or do I have to buy a ticket before hand?

After saying I wasn't going back to The Hall this season whilst Ron's still in charge, I've decided football is football, and sod who owns the club.. I won't let one man ruin my fun! First time back at the hall tonight!

Well lets hope there are plenty more of the same mind set . Yes it is pay on the gate tonight

Im going to hang on till late to buy my ticket tonight in the hope i'll get in the South Upper when they open it. My ST is in the South Upper and it really gets my goat when I go to one of these games and get dumped in the East only for the South Upper to be opened right on kick off.....

Does anyone know if the West Stand ticket office is open tonight? Typical of the club to open the stand but make you buy tickets from the main office!

Im going to hang on till late to buy my ticket tonight in the hope i'll get in the South Upper when they open it. My ST is in the South Upper and it really gets my goat when I go to one of these games and get dumped in the East only for the South Upper to be opened right on kick off.....
Don't think they'll need to open that with the West open

Took a stroll down to the shop earlier to get my ticket for tonight some b*****d has only gone and purchased my seat. Wouldn't have minded if they had sold around 9,000 tickets but, was told this afternoon that they had only sold just over 2,000 tickets for tonight

When i got my ticket earlier they said that all tonights 'walk ups' were going to be in the West as there was lots and lots of room left in there.....

I reckon Gillingham will bring 500 as it is a rare local journey in this league. If we have sold 2000 upfront then there will probably be 1000-1500 on the gate.

Anything above 3k for the first round of the JPT will be a good turn out and i think the stay awayers are suddenly getting curious and missing there blues fix

Took a stroll down to the shop earlier to get my ticket for tonight some b*****d has only gone and purchased my seat. Wouldn't have minded if they had sold around 9,000 tickets but, was told this afternoon that they had only sold just over 2,000 tickets for tonight

Isn't there a vacant seat in the row in front? :unsure: Otherwise you can come and sit up by us!

Back