• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Ricky Otto one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What is your problem? JS is a long established poster and well respected here who has as much right to his opinion as anybody.

The fact that he obviously watched Ricky Otto play in many of his 96 matches for Leyton Orient is obviously rellevant too as indeed Otto played for SUFC and the O's (as you may or may not know) and was a favourite at both.

Basically wanting your vote retracted because JS has had (in your opinion) the gall to vote on a Southend forum quite frankly does not reflect well on yourself and I find your attitude quite pathetic.

I dont care what you think to be honest,your correct he saw him in his 96 games for Orient,whats that matter?,in i repeat a SUFC related hall of fame.
I wouldnt vote Scott Houghton into a Orient related hall of Fame just because he played for us.
If his allowed to vote id rather not be part of this SUFC HOF thanks but thats upto me.

if you dont like my attitude dont reply to me?

you know i dont like you and im sure the feelings mutual so why reply to me so consistantly,if you dont like what i post dont acknowledge them.

A great player and one of my favourites to watch. But he wouldn't make my all-time top 11, so feels wrong to put him in the HoF.

err, it's a top XII not XI.

Otto would make my all-time XI but an all-time XI is more players at their peak whilst a Hall of Fame is for sustained brilliance. For example I'd have Nicky Bailey and Mike Marsh in my all-time XI central midfield but wouldn't dream of having either in my Hall of Fame.

Otto, I'm not sure. He was brilliant, he was entertaining and he carried the team but I think Mark Gower probably has a stronger case, despite not quite reaching the heights of Otto. Maybe there's room for both because Otto represents our most exciting team ever but there is just that question mark over how fleeting his Southend career was.

err, it's a top XII not XI.

Otto would make my all-time XI but an all-time XI is more players at their peak whilst a Hall of Fame is for sustained brilliance. For example I'd have Nicky Bailey and Mike Marsh in my all-time XI central midfield but wouldn't dream of having either in my Hall of Fame.

Otto, I'm not sure. He was brilliant, he was entertaining and he carried the team but I think Mark Gower probably has a stronger case, despite not quite reaching the heights of Otto. Maybe there's room for both because Otto represents our most exciting team ever but there is just that question mark over how fleeting his Southend career was.

It's not really a top XII, as it includes non-players, as I'm sure you knew when I alluded to a top XI.

Gonna vote Yes. I can't remember what the original criteria for acceptance into the HoF was, but he was the one player at the time who was attracting fame to himself and the club; he contributed to whatever success we had at the time; and he excited the fans in a way that only Sir Stanley and Freddy have probably done since.

I know he buggered of with Barry but you can't really blame either of them for that; that's what happens in football!

Ricky Otto is without doubt the most outrageously talented player I've ever had the fortune to see pull on the Blue shirt. He had pace, incredible skill, could cross and finish. I will always remember him, and the buzz of excitement he could create around the Hall whenever he picked the ball up was second to none.

Unfortunately several things blot his copy book. His temperament was poor, whenever his name is mentioned my overriding memory is of him pinning an opposition player down, and hitting him, getting a straight red for his truble (against grimsby?). He never realised his full potential and eventually left to follow Judas Fry to Birmingscum, albeit later than most.

Always a legend to me, but HoF? Not quite.

To answer YB's point about Eddie Firmani, Firmani was one of my early Blues heroes, however at that time he was near the end of a long career. However he scored some great goals and was part of a free scoring side at the time. His career and goal scoring record in Italy at a time of very defensive football was pretty good.

Back to Otto, he was an incredibly exciting player, and the sort of flair player you really don't mind paying money to see. His career at Roots Hall was all too brief but memorable nonetheless, His career after leaving Southend was not so memorable.

This has probably been the toughest call so far, but sadly I have to vote no.

Yes, in for me....fantastic to watch, really exciting.

Just a shame he was shagging* Leslie Ash just as Lee Chapman joined(for one game) or he wouldn't have left as abruptly as he did

* Alledgedly

Yes, in for me....fantastic to watch, really exciting.

Just a shame he was shagging* Leslie Ash just as Lee Chapman joined(for one game) or he wouldn't have left as abruptly as he did

* Alledgedly

Hahahaha, that's the worst rumour I've heard. I think you mean Cantona was shagging Leslie Ash, and Cantona left Leeds.

Brain. Engage. Post.

It might have been rumoured between you and your close family. But nowhere else. The rumour was always Otto and Spud's daughters.

Oh yes it was, just because you weren't privy to the rumour, doesn't mean it didn't exist or do the rounds!!

Unless, of course, you are the rumour god and know every rumour that there has been at Roots Hall, in which case I would bow down to you...but you are not, so jog on!

Well rumoured over the years and defo not worthy of Red!!

Tut tut...moaning about rep....

Im voting a no on this one. Otto was absolutely fantastic for a year and a half, and provided us with some of the most exciting football in my Southend watching career ('86-to date). Was one of those players that raised your hopes as soon as he received the ball, and even when the team was not playing well you always felt he had a chance as he could conjure something from nothing. Worked pretty hard too and rare were the games when he didnt make some kind of impact.

However, in terms of tangible impact upon the club, I just cant have him in my top 12. If Fry had stayed and we continued the form during the first half of that season, than Otto could have made one of the greatest contributions ever, but two mid table finishes means Im struggling to put him ahead of Gower and Ansah as wingers who gained two promotions each. Would also struggle to have him in ahead of the likes of Royce, who stuck around a season longer than he needed to (probably to the jeopardy of his career), Sansome (2 promotions - Mr Consistent), Angell (goals to get us promoted and goals in the second tier...not to mention West Ham winner!) etc.

Therefore, one of my favourite players, but on the criteria for selection, a no for me.

It might have been rumoured between you and your close family. But nowhere else. The rumour was always Otto and Spud's daughters.

Have to say it's not a rumour Ive heard before. Also seems somewhat nonsensical to believe, as surely they were not at the club at the same time. I thought Chapman joined shortly after Otto left, and Chapman's loan was shortened as someone else then bought him.

Tut tut...moaning about rep....
Not moaning about rep, just seemed a really anal thing to give it for...I didn't start the rumour, just stated that it was around. If I had started the rumour, I'd say I deserved it, but I didn't. If I deserve rep for that tho, so be it...Just shows that people give rep for the fun of it. I have been just as anal and given it straight back...

I got red, I gave red, let's hope I don't die on the way home or something, as we all know, rep is life and death PMSL

Not moaning about rep, just seemed a really anal thing to give it for...I didn't start the rumour, just stated that it was around. If I had started the rumour, I'd say I deserved it, but I didn't. If I deserve rep for that tho, so be it...Just shows that people give rep for the fun of it. I have been just as anal and given it straight back...

I got red, I gave red, let's hope I don't die on the way home or something, as we all know, rep is life and death PMSL

Ermmm....Okaieee... Thanks for clearing that up. :unsure:

Anyway....Ricky Otto...

Have to say it's not a rumour Ive heard before. Also seems somewhat nonsensical to believe, as surely they were not at the club at the same time. I thought Chapman joined shortly after Otto left, and Chapman's loan was shortened as someone else then bought him.

It's nonsensical because it is. I think DWB has the stories mixed up.

Back