• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
What a game!

Anyone neutral watching would have witnessed 90 minutes of great entertainment, and surely would have wondered how on earth we have spent the best part of 40 matches near the bottom of the table.

Hulls travelling army always give great support, but you know when Blues are playing well because the opposition fans are quiet... tonight was the same for most of the game as Blues played some truly fantastic football.  I would imagine Hull were very pleased with a point.

With no big target man (despite being big, Leon is NOT a target man) the emphasis was on pass and move stuff and it was great to see the whole width of the pitch being used as we stretched Hull to the limit.  If it were not for their keeper we could have had 5 or 6 and to be honest we restricted Hull to mainly attacks on the break.

But they are a big, strong and powerful side with a lot of pace and they broke quickly and could have had 3 or 4 themselves.  It was just one of those games.

After about 35 minutes Gower intercepted a clearance and took the ball into the box before shooting past a flat footed keeper to open the scoring.  To be honest, Hull didn't show much after that but with 5 mins to go before half time, Jupp hauled down their winger and IMHO was lucky to escape a booking.  They had a huge aerial presence with Burgess and Junior Lewis and it was the latter who rose at the back post to head into the net.  Good delivery and a good header.

In first half injury time, the ball was played into Maher who, in the box with his back to goal, chested the ball down, turned and volleyed the ball towards the top corner of the net.  The Hull keeper produced a truly fantastic save to tip the ball over the bar.  From the corner however, the ball was not cleared properly, Jupp made a fantastic block and the ball ran for Maher who whipped in a cross to the far post.  Everyone missed it and it nestled nicely in the net to give Blues a 2-1 interval lead.

In the second half Hull came out stronger but after 5 minutes or so Blues started to boss proceedings.  Lewis Hunt hit a shot that deflected up and looked to be dropping over the keeper but he tipped the ball over the bar.  He was also to deny Hunt again, Gower and Cort with great saves before the night was out.

As I say Hull were restricted to breaks but one of them saw Danny Allsop race clear, despite the best attentions of Jamie Stuart hit a goalbound shot that saw Darryl produce a superb fingertip save.

However, soon after Hull were to draw level.  From a corner, Blues cleared the ball to the edge of the box but there was no-one attacking the ball.  Ian Ashby smacked the ball home from 20 yards.

I suppose a draw was a good result against one of the high flyers but I am sure that if we play like this next year we will be right up there come next April/May.

Blue Army!

Ratings

Flahavan - 8.  Made a couple of excellent saves and his distribution was much quicker and more imaginative.

Jupp - 7.  Made some great overlaps and crucial challenges but sometimes the delivery was not up to standard.  I particularly liked the way he remained in the centre circle and for a full 30 seconds after the final whistle applauded each home stand...  
biggrin.gif

Cort - 7.  Had his hands full against Burgess but won more than he lost
Stuart - 8.  Probably the best game I've seen him play.  he looks so much better in the centre as opposed to the left back slot
Nicolau - 7.  Got better as the game progressed but must learn when to play a cultured ball down the line and when to put it into row Z

Gower - 7  Great goal, tried loads, not a lot came off for him but a real crowd pleaser.  Gives us loads of width and one thing you cannot accuse him of is hiding.
Maher - 9 - MOM.  A superb battling performance... but I have to say that there were occasions when as skipper he should be more vocally dominant and should be barking out orders to his teammates.
Bentley - 7.  Did pretty well and worked very hard in the middle.  Somehow failed to be awarded a penalty when Junior Lewis got him in a body slam and half nelson!
Hunt - 8.  Best game I've seen him have in midfield.  Ran himself ragged and nearly got on the scoresheet twice

Constantine - 7  Quite quiet by his standards but the Hull defence were all over him like a rash.  Was unlucky not to win a penalty or two.
Dudfield - 6.  Worked very hard but you could see that he had not been working with a ball for a few weeks

Sub

Jenkins - 6.  On for Dudfield with 10 to go and I felt we lost a little width at that point as Gower went up front.  Didn't do a great deal but the sheer pace of the game made it hard to get into.

Thanks for taking the time to post that fbm. Wish I could have been there!

Gutted I couldn't make it now, had a mid week fixture which I had to play in! Sounded like a real corker!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ April 20 2004,23:35)]Thanks for taking the time to post that fbm. Wish I could have been there!
That's ok... shame more people don't comment really. I enjoy writing them, and I know from the figures that people read them, but only a few bother to comment.

Perhaps I should be more controversial...

Its always a good read fbm. Keep it up. If i dont say anything ... its usually because i fully agree with what you've said!!

OLE!!

Kev

biggrin.gif

Just so I can beat McScriven to it
smile.gif

I'm one of Maher's biggest fans but I have to disagree on MOM for him last night. Definitely a much better second half following a very poor first half and probably worthy of a 7/10. I thought Hull won the CM battle by a mile.

MOM for me. A close call between Stuart and Gower. I think Stuart was at fault for their first goal (I could be wrong) but other than that he was marking someone much taller than him, wasn't fazed and more importantly was decisive at crucial moments, a touch of the Warren factor. Gower caused Hull no end of problems all night.

I think 2-2 was a fair reflection on yet another entertaining 90 minutes. Their keeper pulled of a few blinders but Darryl also had one of his best games; dominating the box for a change and pulling of a couple of great saves.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Its always a good read fbm. Keep it up. If i dont say anything ... its usually because i fully agree with what you've said!!

That's true enough fbm. I think people will mostly post if there's something to contest. Good summation of the game as always.

And may I say... what a pleasure to log in to Shrimperzone the night after a game and see it up-to-date!!

Good work!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ April 20 2004,23:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ April 20 2004,23:35)]Thanks for taking the time to post that fbm. Wish I could have been there!
That's ok... shame more people don't comment really.  I enjoy writing them, and I know from the figures that people read them, but only a few bother to comment.

Perhaps I should be more controversial...
Don't give up your day job fella.
unclesam.gif

How heartening is it that we have drawn with Hull and lost narrowly away to Huddersfield in recent weeks. Nice reporting by the way. Me and the keeper write match reports for our five-a-side games and they seem to go down pretty well so I may have a crack at a similar report if I make it to the Yeovil game.

I was actually impressed/surprised by Stuart last night but hoping that Warren is back at the weekend to reclaim his place.

After the LDV the team have performed superbly at home and I wonder how many of the 'floating fans' from the Cardiff game are tempted to come to games regularly ??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rayleigh_Blue @ April 21 2004,09:15)]I was actually impressed/surprised by Stuart last night but hoping that Warren is back at the weekend to reclaim his place.

After the LDV the team have performed superbly at home and I wonder how many of the 'floating fans' from the Cardiff game are tempted to come to games regularly ??
Agreed. I missed Darlo but the Scunny and Hull matches were 2 of the best games I have seen at the Hall for years. Anyone new will surely have been impressed...

I do wish we'd stop playing handicap football though. We keep conceding 2 goals a game. That has happened on 19 occasions so far this season... and we haven't kept a clean sheet since Boston.

Note for next season...

1) Tighten up defence a notch
2) Keep concentration for 90 minutes PLUS stoppage time
3) Stop timewasting at the end of games
4) Attack the 2nd ball (which we have rarely done this season), and
5) Shoot with more accuracy. Aim for the mesh stuff between the white sticks and to either side of the keeper...

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ April 21 2004,08:33)]I'm one of Maher's biggest fans but I have to disagree on MOM for him last night. Definitely a much better second half following a very poor first half and probably worthy of a 7/10. I thought Hull won the CM battle by a mile.
I'm amazed. I thought he had an excellent first half.

It was a good call by Tilson to stick Bentley back in the middle of the park as I believe this is his best position and was again impressed by his willingness to strive forward whilst Maher is adept at controlling the distribution around the park.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ April 21 2004,09:11)]How heartening is it that we have drawn with Hull and lost narrowly away to Huddersfield in recent weeks.  Nice reporting by the way.  Me and the keeper write match reports for our five-a-side games and they seem to go down pretty well so I may have a crack at a similar report if I make it to the Yeovil game.
your alright mate

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ April 20 2004,22:59)]To be honest, Hull didn't show much after that but with 5 mins to go before half time, Jupp hauled down their winger and IMHO was lucky to escape a booking.
Great report fbm.

A couple of views from a relative neutral:

From where I was in the South Upper Blue seats the Hull player put his arm across Jupp who was then forced to push past it in an attempt to get at the ball. As soon as Jupp tried this there was a tussle and the Hull player went to ground. You're right to say he was lucky not to get booked because from behind (where the ref was) it would have looked like Jupp had just clattered him, but in truth it was very much 6 of one and two 3s of the other. IMHO of course
biggrin.gif

I'd've given MOM to Stuart for the very reason that he marked someone a foot taller than him very well. Maher, however, did have a good game, as did Gower.

I thought 'going to ground' was one of Hull's biggest let downs. They were very good at getting free kicks (the no7 Elliot especially, who conned the ref twice in a short space of time in the 1st half). For a such a tall side they didn't really impose themselves height wise but at least they didn't resort to lumping it forward all the time.

Southend worked hard, and played some good football, visibly better all round than my first game (Bristol Rovers LDV, which was good anyway), and coped well fielding a slightly makeshift side because of injuries. Everyone worked hard. I was glad I rushed out to get there!
biggrin.gif

AC

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS Cockles @ April 21 2004,09:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ April 21 2004,09:11)]How heartening is it that we have drawn with Hull and lost narrowly away to Huddersfield in recent weeks.  Nice reporting by the way.  Me and the keeper write match reports for our five-a-side games and they seem to go down pretty well so I may have a crack at a similar report if I make it to the Yeovil game.
your alright mate
Read that comment about ten times and don't understand.  Clearly, you're not referring to the alright mate that I own, however, several, if not all, of my mates are 'alright'

Next to address, is it a question or a statement?

Question, perhaps 'you're alright mate?' could be a possibility.  If it is the case, then yes, I'm feeling quite good actually.  Just a little tired.  Admittedly the question could be 'your alright mate?' questioning the ability of my mate who plays in goal.  He is a good keeper, good at shot-stopping and agile but doesn't command his box that well (who does that remind us of?!!
tounge.gif
)

If it's a statement, there doesn't seem to be a lot of worth to it.  Perhaps, you are saying you're alright mate, as though you have just accepted me to a group who you consider alright.  If this is so, I'm chuffed.  Thanks.  Perhaps there's another interpretation here that I'm missing.  Maybe you're saying 'you're alright' in the respect that I needn't bother doing match reports or summaries in spite of other people saying it should be done more often.  If this is the case, why not?  I promise not to make it as overblown and condescening as this one has been!

Good report fbm and summed everyone up nicely.

Hunt wanted a goal last night and to be truthful he deserved one. I do hope he stays with us next term.

Stuart was playing for his contract and deserves one after that performance. Against a man nearly a foot taller he won as much as he could a battled hard.

Bentley was very quiet but as we were up against the best team in the division by far (Doncaster are cr*p!) he did his best.

Flahavan - Sign him up - Nuff said.

The rest were top notch performances especially from Maher/Gower.

Jenkins! Sorry mate but you have to go!

Constance - He will leave at the end of the season but not based on last nights performance though.

Keep up your reports fbm as I read them and find them interesting!

Back